Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

WHITE whanau:Tokumaru Bay: help with whakapapa  

RSS
jntchem OWC
(@jntchem-owc)

Kia ora Te Whanau,
I am searching for my whanau in the Tokumaru Bay area. My grandmother is from there. Her name is Enid White, who married Jury Kehu Thompson. They lived in Bridge Pa,Hastings. Nana was born 25 Dec 1908 and died 27 March 1989. Please I need more info on whanau from her side in which I have never meet. My cousin Darrel Reid is my second cousin who spoke of the White whanau.

Posted : 28 May, 2005 9:24 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora jntchem,

If you go to www.familysearch.org and put Enid in First Name and White in Last Name, setting the country to New Zealand, you will be able to find records for your grandmother and from there you may be able to trace more info

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 July, 2005 3:03 pm
Leahw
(@leahw)

Tena koe jntchem,
Yes I am related to the Whites from Tokomaru Bay. My great grandfather Tame Poata did Ngaropi White's moko. Ngaropi's little shack over-looking the sea in Tokomaru Bay is still standing (but only just). Her grand-daughter Rama White was an awesome singer, went to Aussie to sing. I will get more information about the White Whanau from my Aunty over the weekend.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 July, 2005 12:37 pm
huihana OWC
(@huihana-owc)

Tena Koe jntchem,
Im a whanaunga from Tokomaru Bay if you wish to email me can give you what ever information you require.The little house that Leah is refering to was in fact the home of Tuini Ngawai.She was a renowned composer and much more.Rama did live in the house with Tuini and in the book Tuini Ngawai you will find many Photos of the Whanau.Nanny Whites house was a huge old Villa 2 sections alongfrom the little house on a slight rise looking out to sea.It only recently was pulled down.Nanny White was last of the Nans to have a moko done traditionaly.She was an amazing weaver and when she taught us it was as she was taught.Mistakes where not tolerated and she would wait until you finished and then tell you to undo it and start again, you learnt very quickly not to make mistakes.The Waite whanau have been updating the whakapapa and there is a booklet.The group Hokowhitu-atu is made up of your whanau.
Arohanui huihana

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 July, 2005 11:15 pm
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

Kia Ora, I am your cousin, and know your family. Darryl is my 1st cousin through his mum. Aunt Enid was md to our Grandad Peter. Also know the Collier conection through another hubby Thomas.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 November, 2005 10:39 pm
huiabird OWC
(@huiabird-owc)

Tena koe te whanau
Tuini Ngawai wrote Haere Ra E Roa composed for her older sister Materoa of Te Whanau-a-Ruataupare of ngati porou of Tokomaru Bay.

Can anyone guide me weblink to listen?

kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 November, 2005 12:47 am
huihana OWC
(@huihana-owc)

Tena koe huiabird,
If you contact Dion Hobson at the radio station Te Hiku o Te Ika he would be able to point you in the right direction.
Huihana

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 January, 2006 11:40 pm
Hawkestir OWC
(@hawkestir-owc)

Kia ora J.Are you related to Raymond Thompson from BridgePa?My nan & whanau still live there and grandpop was from Nuhaka, knew the Whites from the coast. He told us we were related to the Thompsons through Ray's mum.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 January, 2006 5:47 am
dannydelamere OWC
(@dannydelamere-owc)

kia ora my whanau is also frm tokomaru i am a Delamere but reside in Palmerston north check out marae listings such as Waiparapara or Pakirikiri there will b whanau on the committees i have a cousin Evelyn who married a White she stil resides in toko

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 January, 2006 12:43 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora koutou nga uri o te aotawarirangi raua ko ruataupare,nga aitanga nei o era tokorua teitu o te tairawhiti.teneki he uri no te riu o waiapu,ara no nga uri a tuwhakairiora raua ko te ruataupare a makahuri raua ko tataingaoterangi.

heres the nama 4 ruataupare marae in tuparoa,couldnt find pakirikiri or waiparapara so yea 06 8648433 or the ngati porou runanga is 06 8649004

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 January, 2006 11:37 am
missymch OWC
(@missymch-owc)

kia ora my name is missy and my nanny was ramas sister she was the second 2 last of them left,my nanny adopted ramas youngest my dads brother charles and looked after the other which is my lovely aunty dawn, the last of their sisters passed away the year b4 last, if u need nemore information contact me at chokianga@hotmail.com, the house in toko was definetly beautiful till family jealousy had it partly destroyd and left 2 rot, sorry but we were the 1s tryn 2 save it my nan was still alive then and it broke her heart, lately 1 of my cousins have been cleaning it up, anyway i have a copy of the whakapapa as well, and will wait till you reply,also he house did not belong to tuini ngawai wat a load of crock, the house is in shares with all of the childrens children which i can name if u want, the house was brought for nanny ngaropi, trust me im a moko!!!
warm wishes,
missy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 May, 2006 5:49 pm
Share: