Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

WIRIHANA Whanau  

Page 1 / 3 Next
Gaylene OWC
(@gaylene-owc)

Kia ora koutou, am doing this for a friend of ours - the only background he knows of is that his fathers surname is Wirihana, and he seems to think they come from the Waikato area. Would appreciate any information given..Kia ora.

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 08 2005 02:50:56 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 November, 2004 12:59 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Gaylene

[url="http://www.maori.org.nz/papa_panui/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=221&FORUM_ID=3&CAT_ID=2&Topic_Title=Wirihana%2FWilson+whanau+up+Gisborne+or+Waikato+ways&Forum_Title=Tracing+Tupuna+%28Ancestors%29"]Here[/url] is another post that talks about the Wirihana Whanau and different areas as to where they are from in the Waikato area.

Does your friend know his father's first name as this may help people to narrow down which Wirihana branch he is from.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 November, 2004 2:03 pm
Gaylene OWC
(@gaylene-owc)

Thank you Poutokomanawa for replying so promptly, I can tell u now, Pete's (My friends name), fathers name is Ray Wirihana, and he also knows that some of the Wirihana's are from the top of the south island, and bottom of the north!....if that helps anyone? He's attempting to find out more info as we speak.

Once again, thank you...........ka kite.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 November, 2004 12:52 am
artecwoman OWC
(@artecwoman-owc)

Kia Ora Gaylene,

This whanau is a very big whanau I have a very close friend called
Pete also and my friend told me that on his grand father on his dads side came from Pirongia and his name was Tamati Wirihana.
I will endeavor to rack his brains a little bit more for you.
My friend is in NZ and I am in Aussie.

Kia kaha koe.
Naku Noa Na Inu

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 December, 2004 1:04 am
Gaylene OWC
(@gaylene-owc)

Kia ora Artecwoman,

I have a little more info on Pete's whanau. Pete left NZ when he was a young boy, however what he does remember before leaving is how they use to row over water to get to his Marae (hopefully this should narrow the search down?). He has been bought up in Australia by his mother. Pete is 31 now, and living here in Perth. I hope this helps?

Ka kite.......

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 December, 2004 8:08 pm
arohaa OWC
(@arohaa-owc)

HI...I think the Wirihana/Wilson whanau you might be after are from Canvastown? in the South island....my partner has cousins that are from that whanau.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 December, 2004 9:26 pm
artecwoman OWC
(@artecwoman-owc)

Kia Ora ano Gaylene

I am just a bit curious can you please tell me can your friend remember whether it was in the north Island or the south Island.
I know only of one marae that you row to but that is in the Kawhia area so could you please let me know

thanks again na Inu

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 December, 2004 11:13 pm
Gaylene OWC
(@gaylene-owc)

Kia ora Artecwoman and Arohaa, Pete has found out that his grandparents names are Tomi Hipu Wirihana, and Rangi Wirihana. Still unsure where abouts in NZ they come from though. Sorry i can only find out info in small amounts, as Pete works out in the mines! Ka kite ano.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 January, 2005 10:19 pm
Beegee OWC
(@beegee-owc)

Kia ora my Grandmother was a Wirihana.Queenie, Married Taha Waitere, both deceased.lived in Levin.

Edited by - Beegee on Feb 26 2005 08:52:22 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 February, 2005 8:49 am
y2ranga
(@y2ranga)

Gaylene could you ask Pete if the name Marokopa sounds familiar. I remember a whanau named Willison in Marokopa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 February, 2005 5:44 pm
NgatiMaori OWC
(@ngatimaori-owc)

Kia Ora Gaylene

Wirihana/Wilson is a big whanau
The ones from Waikato I know as this is my mother's whanau!

My great great great father was Ratapu Wirihana/Wilson

Who has had many children
Also whangai children

So are you looking for direct blood line or whangai bloodline

Hear from you soon

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 March, 2005 6:53 pm
auntynina OWC
(@auntynina-owc)

Kia ora Gaylene
there were Wirihana's living in Tokoroa and his name was Pipi but he has since passed away and I was wondering whether there was a connection as the Pipi had his tangi at Pohara Marae in Arapuni and that is in the Waikato area if that is of any help

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 March, 2005 8:20 am
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Kia ora Gaylene

So many replies, I hope at the end, you can find a connection.

Kia ora Koutou, to all who have given their awhi to gaylene.

The only part I can add, is the Wilson whanau that I know, are from the waikato, and associate with the marae, in auckland, - at Ihumato - Mangere. A small maori settlement.

I am afraid, that is all I can add.

Good luck in your search

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 March, 2005 1:11 am
johnvirtue OWC
(@johnvirtue-owc)

Kia ora Gaylene,
My family are from Rakaunui Marae ki Kawhia on my dad's side.Unfortunately he passed away last year but I think my Uncle will know your friends family from porongia.My grandfather on my mother's side was a Wirihana/Wilson from Matoura Bay.I can find out more if you like.

Noreira
Tena Koe
Samantha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 March, 2005 12:55 pm
Gaylene OWC
(@gaylene-owc)

Kia ora koutou,

This is a big KIA ORA to all those people who have responded to my friend Pete's journey in finding his Wirihana whanau. Excellent news is that he has found an Uncle in the Bay of Islands, (Petes dads brother!), which has obviously opened up new and exciting doorways! However Pete is still interested in finding more, therefore should anyone want his email address,let me know, and i shall pass it on to him.

Not forgetting an even bigger KIA ORA, to the hard working people at Maori.org.nz, without this website Pete could never have gotten this far.....once again kia ora, and ka kite.

Gaylene

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 March, 2005 6:04 pm
Page 1 / 3 Next

Working

Please Login or Register