Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

WIRIHANA WILSON HARD  

RSS
kai OWC
(@kai-owc)

KIA ORA WHANAU I AM A WILSON I JUST WANT TO KNOW A BIT MORE ABOUT MY WHANAU AS I AM CURIOUS CAUSE I ALWAYS GET TOLD THAT MY NAME SAKE TE KAI WIRIHANA WENT WITH MY GREAT GRAND MOTHER BUT HE LEFT WITH OUT NO NOTICE IN WHERE HIS MARAE OR N E THING I KNOW ABOUT
THE MARAE ON MAUREA AND HORAHORA BUT THATS THE GREAT GREAT GRAND MOTHER MARAE I WANT TO KNOW WHERE THE REAL WIRIHANA GENEOLORY CAME FROM AS I WANT TO SEE THE MARAE BEFORE I PASS ON AND KNOW WHERE HOME TRUELY IS MY GREAT GRANDFATHER IS KORO TAMATI AND HIS FATHER WAS TE KAI AND MY DADS FATHER IS KORO PITA AND HIS WIFE JANE MY DADS BROTHERS ARE PITA AND STEVEN<<(DECEASED) MY DADS NAME IS ANTHONY AND I THINK HE HAD SISTERS BUT HE DOENT KNOW? I THINK THEY PASSED ON I AM KAI KIA ORA WHANAU I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW KIA ORA N E SUGGESTIONS ITS ALRIGHT WITH ME

Posted : 17 December, 2006 4:17 pm
jo1 OWC
(@jo1-owc)

Hi there, Im a wilson,I think the wilsons you may be relating to may be tha wilsons in huntly, I hope this helps you a bit, you can email me if you need too, my marae is maurea & taniwha, but mainly I associate with taniwha marae.
My name is jozetta wilson drop me a line when eva.
hear from u soon

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 December, 2006 7:53 pm
kai OWC
(@kai-owc)

thank you for your reply witch marae is this taniwha marae i havent seen this marae i only know horahora and maurea marae whos your koro or grandfather i know we have a connection but did you know that the wilsons arent really from maurea and horahora thats not where the wilson name came from the wilson name came off our great great grandfather tekai and yeah we just goten that name from him but that wasent his marae or district thats how far i know that the wilson geneology came from the marae at maurea and horahora was our great great grand mothers but he did the runners dont know where thou?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2006 7:42 am
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora

Wirihana/wilson whanau lives in huntly originally from whatawhata, hamilton.
There pa at whatawhata.
Sorry, don't know the name of the pa.
I knew the old koroua eddie wilson in his 80's(I think) has told me long ago.
Hope it helps and good luck!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2006 12:45 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Tena koe e kai

My greatgrand mother was Nga Kahikatea Wirihana. My understanding is that the Wirihana (transliteration for Wilson) name is not Maori but may originate from Scottish ancestry. My Great grand mothers, mothers name was Meri Matehaere however I was also told she was full blooded scots. Her Father was Te Hiko Totorewa te Para. I think that Nga's surname may have come from her 4th husband, Toapoto as all their children carried the Wirihana surname as well.

Maurea and Horahora are not the true marae of the Wirihana whanau although there may be individual lines that pass through by marriage.

Because the name is literally huge it would be difficult to pinpoint exactly where your marae is cuz, however try mentioning the names I just wrote to your elders. If they say that is the same line then your marae's would be one of the follwing Hoe-o-Tainui, Te Whaiti, Mangatea and Matahuru. We all live next to each other and intermarried between the different marae. I have over 150 wilson cuzzies so there is a good chance you are related also.

Nga Kahikatea died at approximately 125 years old. She is recognised as one of the oldest woman to wear a moko and served in the house of Potatau during the reign of 5 kings and 1 queen. She was born in Waitomo just about 10 years after the signing of the Treaty of Waitangi (1840) and died in 1974.

Kia ora cuz hope that helps.

Edited by - matahuru on Dec 18 2006 1:30:53 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2006 1:25 pm
kai OWC
(@kai-owc)

kia ora awesome infomation so where abouts are these marae i really intrested in my whanau kia ora kuz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2006 2:14 pm
jo1 OWC
(@jo1-owc)

Kia Ora ano,taniwha marae is located in waerenga area, the person who's name is matahuru may know of this marae, if you are from matahuru.
Just to say that wilson is not our real last name, as in the old days when the pakeha people didn't or want to say or speak the maori names at that time had changed our last name to wilson, we only know our selves as wilsons, but in the old days our last name was suppose to be (whakamau,wakahau) but the pakeha's at that time changed it to wilson...all good thou, at less I know where I come from & who my whanau are out there...I hope this helps you there"Kai"...if you need more info, im welcome to answer your questions...ka kite ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2006 6:45 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora whanau

Ae ka mohio au te marae Taniwha, e tata ana kei muri haere i toku kainga ko matahuru. Ae no matahuru ahau i te taha o toku whaea. Arohamai ko taniwha tetahi o nga marae i roto to matou takiwaa.

Yes I know Taniwha marae. It is also one of our local marae. The other marae closest one to us is Waikare marae. There are wirihana connections there too. Kia ora jo.

Now the other marae are between matahuru (lake waikare)and tahuna, the gateway to the hauraki. Look them up on a google search or wises maps. They will show you exactly where they are.

Kia ora koutou.

Edited by - matahuru on Dec 19 2006 10:12:00 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 December, 2006 8:25 am
kai OWC
(@kai-owc)

thank you for your replys kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 December, 2006 12:48 pm
iakoba OWC
(@iakoba-owc)

Kia Ora Matahuru

Im really interested in knowing where Te Whaiti Marae is. If you have the time to tell me a bit or alot more about our tupuna Te Whaiti. This name is familiar to me but i dont know a heck of alot. Thanks

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 March, 2007 7:56 pm
iakoba OWC
(@iakoba-owc)

Kia Ora ano

Just to let you know also that my connections to the Wirihana whanau are through Te Kai Makariri Wirihanas wife Noho Purua or Putere she is my great grandfathers (Kene Purua or Putere) sister. The Wirihana whanau are definetly a huge family and getting larger with no one recording for the future. Kia Ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 March, 2007 8:09 pm
Share: