Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

z Information needed to trace family history  

mistytigeress OWC
(@mistytigeress-owc)

Hi

I am searching for information on how i can find out my family history. My father was a maori but i dont know any of the history of him or his family except his name. I would very much like to find out what my iwi is and any other relevant information but dont know where to start. If anyone can help me with this i would be extremely grateful. Thank you

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 November, 2004 2:44 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora mistytigeress

If you do a post putting your father's name in the topic so it will show up then in the message part put his name again and ask if anyone knows the whanau or the person. If there is any other info you may remember, like hearing about a place or other people, put it all up as every little bit helps others to awhi you.

It may take a while to get answers and find some people, but never give up!

Good Luck

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 November, 2004 6:02 pm
Te Rapu OWC
(@te-rapu-owc)

Kia ora to all the Pitman whanau, descendants of Tame & Matiria. Our Uncle Bub (Haora) or Harold as he was known to some passed away on 26/5/06 in Whangarei. He is buried at Onerahi cemetery where our grandmother & her sons, Joseph, Maunsell, Haora, daughter Connie & grandsons William & Lesley (Uncle Bunny's sons)& a great grandson Levi all are. The cemetery at Tamaterau is well overgrown. Aunty Becky showed me his birth certificate & our grandfathers first name as on the certificate is, Te Rataka, even my own Dad who is 88yrs hadn't seen that before & grandma's name was spelt Matire. There are now just the 3 surviving brothers, George (Bunny) 99yrs, William (Bill) 88yrs, & Tom 80yrs? the Pitman's in Wairoa are related through our grandfather, I know Wally Pitman who is ex-navy from there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 June, 2006 11:31 am
ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC
(@ngati_kurihotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

Te Rapu what great genes and wonderful stories your family must have. Condolences on your recent passing but hold fast to the wonderful taonga that are still possible to take hold of and see first hand. Ka pai to ra. did you post this post also in the Tangihanga section?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 June, 2006 12:36 pm

Working

Please Login or Register