Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

McCLATCHIE: looking for anything on mcclatchie  

RSS

aileen
(@aileen)
22 May, 2011 3:24 pm  

i am trying to find my great uncle thomas mcclatchie he had a sister that was my grandmoth her name was emma his parents were willim mcclatchie and pautu from the chatam islands william was scottish

Ngamotu34
(@ngamotu34)
Eminent Member
13 June, 2011 10:30 am  

Try getting some books out of the library on the Chathams.

ReplyQuote
raw
 raw
(@raw)
15 June, 2011 5:13 pm  

Hi, I don't know if this wee bit of imfo will be off use but here go's any way.
I see you spell the name McClatchie with an A between the L and the T.
The McClutchie I have meet use a U.
Each way I'm not here to say who is right and who is not.

Many years ago I worked on the East Coast North of Gisborne City,about 3 hours drive,The Hart of Ngati Porou..
I found that one of the largest Maori family's on the East Coast were the McClutchie family's.
If one was to look up that name in the Gisborne phone book one won't have too much trouble in locating one.
Other wise send me your email details and I'll do the looking when next in the big town.

ReplyQuote
robbierangi
(@robbierangi)
22 June, 2011 9:57 pm  

Ae,
If you are looking for the McClutchie whanau there is plenty to see,
Nanny Whaia McClutchie was a great speaker from Ngati Porou, The McClutchies are from Ruatoria NZ. You can speak to Karen McClutchie, used to be or still is the headmaster of Ngata College. probBLY AROUND 40 YRS OLD SHE is so she could be the answer, Hope this helped

ReplyQuote
Peter Bennett
(@peter-bennett)
28 June, 2011 12:59 pm  

[quote][b]aileen wrote:[/b]
i am trying to find my great uncle thomas mcclatchie he had a sister that was my grandmoth her name was emma his parents were willim mcclatchie and pautu from the chatam islands william was scottish[/quote]

Greetings Aileen

Perhaps I can help in some way. I am, of course, a descendant of Captain William McClatchie.
I have a copy of the Genealogical Presentation on
Captain William McClatchie.
The Chatham Island Connection

By Russel Blakeman 2007

I do not know Russel's contact details and have also lost the person who did some of the research where I got the books. This person is a McClutchie and lives in Wellington. I will have to do a search of my email to find his details.

In the mean time I am happy to answer any questions you may have and look up any detail from the set of books.
The books are in three volumes and number over a thousand pages.

At one time there was a family tree on the web that was very extensive however that web site is gone now.

Captain McClatchie and Uru-Kapina Pautu (Ngati Tama) had two children.
Emma McClatchie married John Harvey and had 13 children.
I guess you know your 13 uncles and aunties.
Thomas married Apia Coffee and had 5 children.
Tamati, Te Uru Whakawai, Te Kapinga Hirini, Jane Ngaiwikau Pau and Te Koea.

Captain McClatchie and Mary Ann Sharp had 4 children.
William Jnr (16) died (1855) in the same shipwreck that claimed William Snr.

My tree follows down through Sarah Ann McClatchie, Marry Ann's daughter who married
William Gray and their daughter Ellen (Neli) Gray is my great great grandmother.
Her son William John McPherson Dunlop is my mothers farther.
Making William McClatchie my great great great great grandfather.

You have so many mixed race relatives it is likely that we would be one of the oldest and largest.
How the name got changed is something that is unknown but what you see at East Cape are all descendent's of William. William had two surviving sons. Henry or Harry (European) and Thomas (Half cast).
Henry married a Maori woman I think as reflected in their children's names.

My side of the family came to this area after the massacres.

Enough rambling. My email is pwb
My domain bencom dot co dot nz
You know were to add the at sign

You are welcome to email me.

ReplyQuote
Motorhead
(@motorhead)
21 November, 2011 12:05 am  

I don't know if you saw it tonight but there was actually a doco on a McClatchie on tv1. It's probably available on demand online.

ReplyQuote
Ngatoru
(@ngatoru)
24 November, 2011 2:22 pm  

Hi ther, My great great grandmother was Mamae Te Kapua from from the Eastern Shores of Lake Taupo. Captain McClatchie/Clutchie also had a child with my gg grandmother and produced Maemae McClutchie. Mamae married Ngahere Te Pohe from Te Haroto the half way point between Napier and Taupo and together they had over ten children. We are a huge family as well and are all descendants of Cpt. McClatchie/Clutchie. I think he then left to the East Coast and had the whanau there. Two of our aunties from the East Coast did the kink for us and also told us about his marriages before our kuia. However that's all we know and oneday will progress further with our exploration of ggg grandmother's father.

ReplyQuote
Ngaiwikau
(@ngaiwikau)
03 January, 2012 9:39 pm  

[quote][b]Peter Bennett wrote:[/b]
[quote][b]aileen wrote:[/b]
i am trying to find my great uncle thomas mcclatchie he had a sister that was my grandmoth her name was emma his parents were willim mcclatchie and pautu from the chatam islands william was scottish[/quote]

Greetings Aileen

Perhaps I can help in some way. I am, of course, a descendant of Captain William McClatchie.
I have a copy of the Genealogical Presentation on
Captain William McClatchie.
The Chatham Island Connection

By Russel Blakeman 2007

I do not know Russel's contact details and have also lost the person who did some of the research where I got the books. This person is a McClutchie and lives in Wellington. I will have to do a search of my email to find his details.

In the mean time I am happy to answer any questions you may have and look up any detail from the set of books.
The books are in three volumes and number over a thousand pages.

At one time there was a family tree on the web that was very extensive however that web site is gone now.

Captain McClatchie and Uru-Kapina Pautu (Ngati Tama) had two children.
Emma McClatchie married John Harvey and had 13 children.
I guess you know your 13 uncles and aunties.
Thomas married Apia Coffee and had 5 children.
Tamati, Te Uru Whakawai, Te Kapinga Hirini, Jane Ngaiwikau Pau and Te Koea.

Captain McClatchie and Mary Ann Sharp had 4 children.
William Jnr (16) died (1855) in the same shipwreck that claimed William Snr.

My tree follows down through Sarah Ann McClatchie, Marry Ann's daughter who married
William Gray and their daughter Ellen (Neli) Gray is my great great grandmother.
Her son William John McPherson Dunlop is my mothers farther.
Making William McClatchie my great great great great grandfather.

You have so many mixed race relatives it is likely that we would be one of the oldest and largest.
How the name got changed is something that is unknown but what you see at East Cape are all descendent's of William. William had two surviving sons. Henry or Harry (European) and Thomas (Half cast).
Henry married a Maori woman I think as reflected in their children's names.

My side of the family came to this area after the massacres.

Enough rambling. My email is pwb
My domain bencom dot co dot nz
You know were to add the at sign

You are welcome to email me.[/quote]

ReplyQuote
Ngaiwikau
(@ngaiwikau)
03 January, 2012 10:38 pm  

I am a descendant of William McClatchie and his first wife Pau(tu), daughter of the Ngati Mutunga chief Takaroa and his wife Uru-Kapuia. McClatchie and Pau(tu) had only one child Thomas (Tamati Makarati) McClatchie (aka William). The year after Tamati's birth, his father William married Elizabeth Scotland in Wellington. We assume his first wife Pau(tu) was deceased by this time. We believe that Elizabeth was the mother of two more of McClatchie's children Helen (Ellen) and Henry. McClatchie's last partner was Mary Ann Sharp who he did not marry and is listed as the housekeeper in his Will and his "concubine" in AW Shand's (Resident Magistrate, Chatham Islands) diary, but is probably the mother of his youngest daughter Sarah Ann.
Mary Ann Sharp was previously the partner of William McGuire of South East Island. McClatchie was in partnership with McGuire along with three other men in the ownership of that Island. McClatchie finally buying out all the others. McGuire and McClatchie appear to have been arch enemies.
Mary Ann Sharp had two daughters to William MCGuire, Emma and Mary Ann (jnr). Both these girls were brought up in the McClatchie household until his untimely death in 1855. In 1856 Mary Ann married John Wilson. They then went to Puketapu near Napier where her sister Harriet had gone with her husband Robert Hollis who was also one of the men who had sold his share of South East Island to McClatchie.
Mary Ann and Harriet Sharp were two of the women who had been "kidnapped" or persuaded to go to the Chatham Islands by Captain Richards as women for his whaling gang.

Her daughter Emma born in 1843 married John Harvey in 1858 to whom she had 13 children. Mary Ann (jnr) was taken in by the Hollis family after her mother's death in 1860. She married William Watkins and had 12 children.

McClatchie's oldest son Tamati who was 10 or 11 when his father died stayed on the Chathams and married Ngawhakaangi Apia Cofee, daugher of James Coffee and his wife Te Amio Wikitoria. Tamati returned to Taranaki to his mother's ancestral lands in 1867 with his wife and eldest son Te Kapinga. They had four other children Ngaiwikau, Te Koea, Te Uruwhakawai and Tamati. There are no descendants from the two youngest.
MCClatchie also adopted a Morori boy by the name of Manawanui, who was educated by McClatchie in Christchurch. He settled in Taranaki when the Ngati Mutunga and Ngati Tama people came back to Taranaki.

Not much is known of McClatchie's daughter Helen although she did marry William Hughes in 1865. I do not know if there are any descendants.

McClatchie's second son was Henry Gardiner McClutchie who married three Ngati Porou women. The first was Mamae Te Kapua who he had 3 children to, Ripeka Paeawa Te Whatiwha who he had 9 children to and his last wife was Ema Mate Te Rangi who were both much older when they married (No issue).

Both Tamati and Henry's descendants all go under the surname McClutchie now and not McClatchie.

ReplyQuote
Te Ata
(@te-ata)
16 January, 2012 7:25 am  

William McClatchie's son William did not drown on the boat with his father, William is Tamati. If his son William had died then Mary Ann Sharp who was the executrix to his will would have had to account for the horses that were left to William when she went back to court. She accounted for the kitchen table, so why not the horses and I know she was not in a financial situation that she could just leave all the horses. The terms of the will were that if any of the children died without issue then their share was to be shared equally amongst the surviving children. There was no such accounting and in one of the residents diary he states in 1865 "young Tom McClatchie out rounding up horses to pay Coffee for his daughter Apia". We know who got the horses. Emma is not mentioned in the will because he only left things to his natural born children.
I also think (don't know for sure) Sarah Ann was Elizabeth Scotland's child because when she married, John Harvey was her guardian. The Hollis's had taken on both Emma & Mary Ann before their marriages because Robert Hollis' wife was Mary Ann Sharp's sister Harriet and we know that Robert Hollis & William McClatchie were not the best of friends, hence he would not have felt any obligation to William's children. Emma was only 16 when her mother died in 1860, but it seems she & John had taken on the responsibility of the McClatchie children i.e Helen, Henry & Sarah Ann.

Also William McClatchie was born in England not Scotland though his father was born in Scotland. He first went to sea aged 13.

ReplyQuote
Te Rangikotama
(@te-rangikotama)
10 March, 2012 8:35 am  

The McClutchie's tie into the Wi Poutu line too I think. Which ties intothe Maxwell's/Parihi/Harrison's too I think. Reason I mention that is because Pau(tu) may perhaps be 'Poutu', and this opens up another vein of whakapapa altogether. Best wishes.

ReplyQuote
Share: