Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Barrett Louisa Violet  

RSS
yeemax OWC
(@yeemax-owc)

Kiaora Koutou I am searching for any information on my great great grandmother, Louisa Violet Barrett who married William Alex Russell and her daughter Mary Koriana Russell.
To my knowledge they lived in the South Island in Bluff or Moeraki.
I believe William Barrett was also known as Dickie Barrett and he was a whaler and later was killed in a boating accident and layed to rest near the Taranaki port in the north island.

Posted : 27 June, 2005 10:56 pm
stevebarnier OWC
(@stevebarnier-owc)

Hi Max
I am Steve Barnier. Our family is traced back to Dickie Barret. My Grandmother had inherited their land in the 1960's, so really we know we are descendants from him- In 1828 Barrett married Wakaiwa Rawinia (Lavinia), or Rangi, grand-daughter of Tautara, niece of Te Puni and sister of Te Wharepouri. A Christian marriage service was performed at Ngamotu on 28 March 1841, when the Wesleyan missionary Charles Creed first visited Taranaki.
I have only found all this out this year. I now have an interest in all this. I want to go back to the land with my children. I am interested to meet other descendants. http://www.dnzb.govt.nz/dnzb/default.asp?Find_Quick.asp?PersonEssay=1B10
If you have any info on the land they owned or know who I could contact to find it please let me know.
I don't think my Grandmother was meant to sell the land, I have been told it has been handed down to the eldest of the eldests child. She was the second guardian, I was to be the third.
My Grandmother is now 90 years old and is dying. Her Grandfather told her, as the eldest of the eldest she was a Maori Princess, something the family hid through time until now.
Maybe there is someone over there who has an interest in all this if so I hope I can get somewhere with this soon.
Steve

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 September, 2005 12:47 pm
mydes OWC
(@mydes-owc)

Hi max,
What would you like to know about mary koreanna Russell as she was my mother

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 November, 2005 11:16 pm
yeemax OWC
(@yeemax-owc)

Tena Koe mydes YES I would love to know more about your mother! I have a whakapapa but its not really that clear.
I was down in Dunedin about 3 years ago and while i was there tryed to find where your mother (my great great grandmother) was buried but had no luck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 November, 2005 6:10 pm
mydes OWC
(@mydes-owc)

Hi Max,
I am assuming that Mary Russell is your grand mother and not great grand-mother and your mum is Margaret Louie,I say that because you said you were down in Dunedin and Margaret lives in gisbourne. please confirm and we will make contact via email
m.e.t

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 November, 2005 8:53 pm
yeemax OWC
(@yeemax-owc)

Hi again
m.e.t Sorry ,no Margaret Louie is my grand mother and Mary Russell is my great grandmother, i was visiting dunedin on a sports trip and took the opurtunity to look for Mary Russells resting place.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 November, 2005 1:50 am
janice tanerau OWC
(@janice-tanerau-owc)

Kia ora Max,
I have some info regarding your whanau.........my mum has the Barrett family whakapapa and reunion books with info on whanau going way back to up to today......I have heard so many stories about Dickie Barrett from my mum and nana and I know we are related as the Barrett whanau is a big whanau throughout the motu.
My sisters email is glstrongman@xtra.co.nz........send her a mail and she will give you all the information you want and also tell her that Janice referred you so she knows...Well Max, as much as I would love to help you in your search even more but i live in Norway and have no records of the whanau whakapapa however, my family are there to help you.
All the best in your quest.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 November, 2005 2:26 am
mydes OWC
(@mydes-owc)

Hi Janice,
I have only been searching a wee while as well do you think you sister would share her info with me
m.e.t

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 November, 2005 10:09 am
yeemax OWC
(@yeemax-owc)

Tena Koe Janice thank you so very much, it appears that the Barrett Whakapapa gets quite confusing once you get into it.
I will definatly email your sister ,thank you once more.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 November, 2005 2:36 pm
yeemax OWC
(@yeemax-owc)

Hi agian Myra, could you please tell me about your mother,and her Iwi, all I really know is that we are decendents of Ngai Tahu but would love to know more about our family, and our marae,awa,maunga.............

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 November, 2005 2:41 pm
mydes OWC
(@mydes-owc)

great,Max I will endevour to answer some of your questions however I am away sat,sun, mon, tues and wednesday of this week so you will not hear from me untill then. Being as you are Margarets grandson I have some questions for you, that elusive searching, Did you know Margaret has a brother alive in invercargill by the name of Russell Symon.
I think I will email you next
Met

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 November, 2005 9:48 pm
janice tanerau OWC
(@janice-tanerau-owc)

Kia ora Myra,
It is no problem to send an email to my sister..........It is so good to trace back whakapapa for our own peace and knowledge and understanding and especially to pass down to our rangatahi.
As I see that you have been searching for a wee while, I must say that the Barrett Whanau is a big big whanau throughout the motu where they are not only based in the south but all over the north and especially in the king country, (Ngaruawaihia, Te Kuiti, Otorohanga etc......)
I know that our Tipuna originally came from England and from there thats where the whakapapa grows.
All this information is in the books that my mum has and I know that the whanau will be more than willing to help you in your search.
Kia manaakitanga kia koe me to whanau.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 November, 2005 1:45 am
janice tanerau OWC
(@janice-tanerau-owc)

Kia ora Max,
Just letting you know that I emailed my sister to let her know that you will contact her.
Hope all went well............

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 November, 2005 1:48 am
yeemax OWC
(@yeemax-owc)

Good mornning Myra, that sounds great!, yes I do know that grandmother has a brother in Invercargill, and she visited him some years ago while she was on holiday.
I would love to shear with you what I can about my Nanna.
Looking forward to hearing from you next week..........

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 November, 2005 3:04 am
mydes OWC
(@mydes-owc)

Hi yeemax I havnt forgotten you I have been extremely busy ,I am getting to you hopefully really soom thanks for waiting
met

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 November, 2005 10:24 pm
Share: