Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

A Marae in Sydney vs a Cultural Centre 1970 - 2007 pros & cons?  

RSS
Nga Hau e Wha OWC
(@nga-hau-e-wha-owc)

I have copied over this posting from the Information Forum hoping this is a better place for feedback...

I have been informed this is a topic long debated over for nearly 40 years!!

Can anyone tell me where there are Maraes overseas, not Cultural or Sports Community Centres but a Marae or Maraes?

And once that question has been answered...

What does Marae mean to the greater population of Maori.

Is a Marae different than other places to meet because of the Wharenui and the signifigance of remebering our tupuna who have passed this way before us??

I for one believe a marae is definitely NOT a Cultural or Sports Centre. It can be a place for Hui, Wananga and Tangi. What other gatherings have you been to in your Marae (e.g. can one have a wedding at a marae)? I don't think of a marae for frivolous social occasions. I think Maraes have a specific purpose just like places of worship, schools and Sport's Clubs have purposes. Can all these things be on the same whenua but in different buildings?? Or does Tikanga Maori dictate differnt?

Before whiteman came with his churches and denominations - did all Maori believe in the same Gods? Did they worship at the Marae, or more particularly what ceremonies and where did Maori gather to communicate with their Gods?

How long have Maraes been in existence in NZ?

Did each tribe build a Marae when they settled in this new land. Did they have Marae in the old lands? Was the Marae the next thing built after a papakainga? Did people live near or on the Marae grounds??

I bring this information up because there has been a recent discussion with the Minister of Maori Affairs in Sydney when he officiated at the presentation of the Maori in Oz Report in Sept 07.

The comprehensive report took 18 months to compile and many statistics including more than 450,000 NZrs live in Australia and Over a 1/4 of these identify as Maori.

Maoris at the presentation asked how TPK could help fulfil the vision of a Marae or Multi-function Centres for Maori living in Australia in the 21st Century. The group sited Sydney as the first prototype as a major gateway from NZ to Australia. Lower Brisbane airfare were also attracting many to Qsldin the last two years.

The Minister's reply was to get some paperwork off to him befor his return to Sydney in December 07.

Another meeting was held on 17 Nov 2007 to go over the draft paperwork before a final copy goes over to the Minister.

A half a million NZers living in Australia is a percentage not to be dismissed. Some have lived here since the 50's and have two generations of family born here. Some are waiting to retire before they head home. Others see Austalia as home and will live, work and die here.

Here is a copy of the posting about the last hui on the 17 Nov

http://www.maori-in-oz.com/

see Forums Panui OZ & NZ

Multi-function Community & Cultural Centre - Sydney 2007/11/17 17:08

The Te Puni Kokori funded Report recently released in Sydney September 2007 identifies a need for a place for all with Maori links to gather (by blood or marriage or identity).

The population statistics of NZers here in Australia and those that have also ticked Maori show the population is expanding at a greater percentage than even in NZ.
There are up to two generations of Maori children living in Australia from family that first crossed the ditch in the 1950's. Some may have close strong bonds to their whanau in NZ and have visited the home of their parents. However most meet their NZ cuzzies in Australia after they have taken the plunge to cross the ditch... and need somewhere to stay while they are getting themselves organised.

The previous Forum topic started was a Marae in Sydney.

A Marae - designates a wharenui specific for a tribe.

A church - is a place for a specific religious denomination.

However a Multi-function Community & Cultural Centre is a "feel good" name for ALL Maori to embrace. This type of centre can embrace all tribes, all interests (sports, arts, performing arts,education. training, religious backgrounds, ages etc)

Yesterdays return meeting (17 Nov) at the Bay City Church premises Hattersly Rd off Pacific Highway Mascot was well organised and certainly imbued with positive intentions and aims. I take my hat off to the organisers of this facility and also the other Centre which was given as examples of success stories, The Shiloh Centre in Riverwood. These are a testament to the dedication and drive and beliefs of all involved to make these places of religious worship a reality in only two years or blood, sweat, tears & joy!! I have not been to the Shiloh Centre yet. However we are informed it is also modelled on the Bay City Church and this would ensure a peaceful, comfortable and refreshing place for people to come and worship with their fellow believers.

Logistically I can see to make such a vision a reality, ALL need to believe in the same dream. Once the humans are focused then with a healthy belief that God will support and prevail, the two churches exist today as a fine example working with faith and hard yakka.

Neither of these churches are where I connect with God, yet I can commend their efforts.

If ALL Maori can also see the vision for a Centre where ALL can gather and rejoice in the success of creating such a centre for ALL, then I can see the reality of the plan jumping off the Architect's pages and become a reality. How about you??

From the Sept Meeting (see previous posting under Marae in Sydney)it was decided to meet again before sending a response to the Minister of Maori Affairs who said or words to the effect, "If you have a proposal sent it to me before I return in December."

Yesterday there was a draft letter passed around written by Lyn for all to read and discuss. This was 'real' Community consultation and I felt as if what I and all who commented was considered and involved in the process. The data was comprehensive, precise and formidable. There was NO disagreement that it seriously identified that without such a centre, so MANY Maori will become less and less connected to their Tikanga Maori the longer they and their future generations are separated by not having a place to gather whilst they live in Australia.

Its only a quarter of a century since Maori children were allowed to study at Kura Kaupapa & Kohanga Reo the tongue of their Tupuna. Maori TV launched in 2004 is gathering strength by the day. There is even talk of another channel. Yet it wasn't too long ago that another Maori TV station was born and... due to administration problems died. So while we are on the whenua of our people or sitting on this whenua of our Aboriginal brothers... then we have a duty to perpetuate the cultural history and dignity that is and will always be the gift attached to being Maori.

Te hei Mauriora

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A new post has been made to a topic to which you have subscribed on the MIO Wharenui forum
Subject: 'Re:Multi-function Community & Cultural Cente - Syd' in Forum: 'Panui in OZ & NZ'
Posted by: MIO Manager

The report is most interesting, is a very big one, weighs just over 1kg! I was told it would be an awesome reference to use/quote the stats gathered, most especially in compiling the proposal for TPK etc.

However a Multi-function Community Cultural Centre is a feel good name for ALL Maori to embrace. This type of centre can embrace all tribes, all interests (sports, arts, performing arts,education. training, religious backgrounds, ages etc)

I agree, this is a solid way in which to go about it and it is really awesome to hear of the great response and harmony from the hui you attended to finding a 'common ground' on which to build the centre upon, being heard, having opinions/ideas used constructively, implemented where viable, connecting... all good!

Where a connection can be built upon religious and non, open to all beliefs etc, would be great too! I am not one to put my hand up to a 'following' of any belief system (each to there own), because I have my own and would not want that enforced upon my whanau or I or vice versa, here again, that 'common ground', neutral meeting place would be totally awesome.

If ALL Maori can also see the vision for a Centre where ALL can gather and rejoice in the success of creating such a centre for ALL, then I can see the reality of the plan jumping off the Architect's pages and become a reality. How about you??

Most definitely. It will take a strong focused and committed team of people to direct the kaupapa and turn the talk into a reality. Lots of hard dedicated determination, it is possible! Anything is possible! A community centre, multi... have good merit.

Yesterday there was a draft letter passed around written by Lyn for all to read and discuss. This was 'real' Community consultation and I felt as if what I and all who commented was considered and involved in the process. The data was comprehensive, precise and formidable. There was NO disagreement that it seriously identified that without such a centre, so MANY Maori will become less and less connected to their Tikanga Maori the longer they and their future generations are separated by not having a place to gather whilst they live in Australia.

Its only a quarter of a century since Maori children were allowed to study at Kura Kaupapa Kohanga Reo the tongue of their Tupuna. Maori TV launched in 2004 is gathering strength by the day. There is even talk of another channel. Yet it wasn't too long ago that another Maori TV station was born and... due to administration problems died. So while we are on the whenua of our people or sitting on this whenua of our Aboriginal brothers... then we have a duty to perpetuate the cultural history and dignity that is and will always be the gift attached to being Maori.

Well said, we do have a duty, if we cannot do it for ourselves, our tamariki and mokopuna are truly a beautiful inspiration to do it for 🙂

Naku noa
Christel

PS Please do keep us up to date, really appreciate your time taken. 🙂

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Marae vs Multifunction Facility for Maori overseas 2007/10/07 18:20

Topic: http://www.maori.org.nz/papa_panui/link.asp?TOPIC_ID=3905
Date: Oct 07 2007

Topic author: Nga Hau e Wha
Subject: Marae vs Multifunction Facility for Maoris living overseas
Posted on: Aug 12 2007 12:42:22 PM
Kia Ora

This topic came up after the discussion about the Marae recently opened at the Auckland Airport.

QUOTE:

Sent: 7/08/2007 7:26 PM
AIRPORT MARAE FINALLY OPENS

Posted : 19 November, 2007 9:19 am
Share: