Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

AKAPITA Tania  

RSS
saragio64 OWC
(@saragio64-owc)

I am going to move over to Dubai with my family but before i do I want to create my whakapapa for my children to have wehn they grow up as we will no longer reside here in NZ. i am of Ngati Rangi decent, my marae is Maungarongo and awa is Whanganui. My apologies but i do not speak maori. I know of my grandparents but would like to know what I need to complete my whakapapa because i dont know what or how to get started and to gather information

Posted : 23 May, 2006 1:36 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Greetings Saragio64
From the information you have collected so far you have already started gathering information. I think you are well on your way. There are many family search sites available for researching, and the key to it all is patience and perseverence. (I hope I spelt that right) I was told recently that the translation of the word whakapapa does not mean family-tree. The explanation is the word 'papa' is its most used commonly for the ground, or the lowest foundation which is yourself or in your case your children, and the prefix 'whaka' means to do/be/make/build depending on the word being used. Not to confusing for you I hope. So therefore it translates as building from the ground up.
Next step is to talk to your family, ask them questions about the family, who married who... how many children did they have... where were they born and so on. You may find that even the smallest piece of information is likely to be a missing key. Goodluck on your quest. On other areas of this site you may find threads that can help, otherwise , keep an eye out on any posts by poutokomanawa, he always has some great search tips. And good luck on your travels too

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 May, 2006 3:20 am
saragio64 OWC
(@saragio64-owc)

quote:

Greetings Saragio64
From the information you have collected so far you have already started gathering information. I think you are well on your way. There are many family search sites available for researching, and the key to it all is patience and perseverence. (I hope I spelt that right) I was told recently that the translation of the word whakapapa does not mean family-tree. The explanation is the word 'papa' is its most used commonly for the ground, or the lowest foundation which is yourself or in your case your children, and the prefix 'whaka' means to do/be/make/build depending on the word being used. Not to confusing for you I hope. So therefore it translates as building from the ground up.
Next step is to talk to your family, ask them questions about the family, who married who... how many children did they have... where were they born and so on. You may find that even the smallest piece of information is likely to be a missing key. Goodluck on your quest. On other areas of this site you may find threads that can help, otherwise , keep an eye out on any posts by poutokomanawa, he always has some great search tips. And good luck on your travels too

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 May, 2006 1:16 pm
Share: