Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Anyone from NGATI APAKURA?  

RSS
nikki OWC
(@nikki-owc)

Kia ora e te whanau. I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with any info on Ngati Apakura? I'm Ngati Apakura on my Mum's side I believe (my Mum's name is Denise Mereaina but she was whangai'd to the Ueratas). I'll break it down for you.

My Mum's birth parents are Karangihuriwaka (aka Lucy or Waka) Taniwha and Nelson French. Nan's parents are Mita Tutuki Te Taniwha and Ngawikau Kaumoana. Koro Mita's parents are Tutuki Te Taniwha and Toitoi Ngaruhe Mautara. Koro Tutuki's parents are Te Taniwha and Karangihuriwaka. Nanny Toitoi's parents are Ngaruhe Mita Mautara and Kaiwha??

My Mum's whangai parents are Hiakai (Jack) Uerata and Mihi Tana. Koro's parents are Uerata Maungarongo Tawhia and Kapuni Mihitaurangi Mange. Uerata Tawhia or Tawhia Uerata's parents I think were Te Putu and Pareuetawhiti.

Somehow both sides of the whanau are whanaunga. Our marae is Purekireki Wiwi. I hope to hear from anybody with any info about this. My e-mail address is nicola.smith@justice.govt.nz

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. Mauriora!

Posted : 15 June, 2007 3:57 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Tena koe,

ae, ko au tou whanaunga. No Ngati Apakura hoki au. Ko Tautari te maunga, ko Waipa te awa, ko Kahotea te marae, ko Whatihua te whare tupuna.

However, my knowledge of the whakapapa is not the best. I am a Taratu and a Tanerau as well. When I'm see one of my aunties next I'll ask her about our Ngati Apakura. Her husband is a Ngaha.
However, the reason why the whakapapa you have is such (and mine is a similar situation), is that they were performing tomo (betrothed marriages). They did this after Rangiaowhia was burnt down and the tribe was essentially destroyed.

So, they performed tomo to rebuild the tribe. Some Ngati Apakura went to other parts of the Tainui waka and settled there to increase the population. One, named Whatiwhatihoe went to Hauraki and married the appropriate people who were of her rank and produced offspring. I am one of her descendants.

So while I do not have any useful information for you, I am here in solidarity with you as a fellow Ngati Apakura.

Edited by - tane_ariki on Jun 18 2007 10:41:26 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 June, 2007 10:09 pm
nikki OWC
(@nikki-owc)

Tena koe tane ariki. Nga mihi nui ki a koe, ki a Ngati Apakura whanui hoki. Thanks so much for your reply. If you get any more info in the future, can you please pass it on to me? Anything no matter how small is much appreciated. It makes more sense now as a friend of mine is also Ngati Apakura but I couldn't figure out why they weren't from any of the marae in the area. Thanks again for your korero. Kia pai to ra!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 June, 2007 2:09 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

E pai ana, e taea ana e koe ki te korero Maori??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 June, 2007 10:46 pm
nikki OWC
(@nikki-owc)

Kia ora ano tane ariki. Kao, kei te ako i te reo ahau inaianei. I can read/understand much better than I can speak or write, so please excuse any mistakes. Arohamai!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 June, 2007 11:38 am
Share: