Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

GAGE Kihikihi-Te awamutu-Pokuru area  

RSS
willa
(@willa)

Kia Ora I am looking for marae and hapu of Gage(Keeti) whanau of Te Awamutu/ Kihikihi area.My Tupuna was connected to Pokuru between these places. Does anyone have a contact for a marae in the Pokuru area or can anyway help my search?

Posted : 16 April, 2007 1:54 pm
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora suevw

There Gage whanau lived at thames, hapu ngati hauraki.

Contact Mangatoatoa marae, kihikihi Te Awamutu.
Tupuna hoani keeti buried at mangatoatoa urupa.

Edited by - pono on Apr 16 2007 3:36:58 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 April, 2007 3:30 pm
willa
(@willa)

Kia Ora Pono, My Tupuna was living in the Thames area when her children were born, but she is Ngati Maniapoto, and you mention the Gage whanau is Ngati Hauraki- now I am confused! but thankyou for your awhi and I will follow it up.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 April, 2007 8:49 am
frontman OWC
(@frontman-owc)

Kia Ora suevw,

I knew of some Gages that lived in Blenheim. She said her father was a Tom Gage and he came from Te Whanau Apanui area. Sorry thats all I know maybe "Hauraki" is where the answers are.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 April, 2007 7:52 pm
Gage OWC
(@gage-owc)

Kia ora Suevw there is a Gage Whanau in Thames,Paeroa Area.I am fromthe Whanau-a-Apanui Gages that have a marae in Omaio on the East Coast between Opotiki and Te Kaha.Our area runs from Hawai (not Hawaii)right thriugh to Hicks Bay. We with the Paeroa/Thames Gages had a reunion @ Paeroa back in the early 90s and met Gages from USA,England,Wales etc.I have a brother that lives on Douglas Rd Matamata under the name Waaka Gage and can be found in the ph. book. Good luck

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 April, 2007 7:47 am
willa
(@willa)

Kia ora Frontman and Gage thankyou for your replies.Perhaps the answer to my search for my Tupuna lies with the Gage whanau in the Thames,Paeroa area. I have been told her photograph is at the Turahia Marae in the Te Aroha, Paeroa area, but have been anable to locate a contact for this Marae. Any suggestions?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 April, 2007 11:43 am
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

Try Tirohia Marae, between Paeroa and Te Aroha.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 April, 2007 8:09 pm
naiomi OWC
(@naiomi-owc)

My mum was a Gage she was from Paeroa I also have brothers and cussins livin in Thames and along the coast. Her dad was from Hauraki however his dad was from ngati maniapoto king country and his dad was from te whanau apanui. I am lead to believe that the gages in Hauraki, Paeroa/Thames, and the King country, are also Te Whanau Apanui. Tirohia Marae is located 6ks from Paeroa. There was a reuninon for the Gage whanau in the 90s. contact Ngahutoitoi Marae they are in the phone book and ask for Nancy Gage.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 May, 2007 12:55 am
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora
Naiomi, I am interested about Nancy Gage. Do you know her maiden name?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 May, 2007 1:43 am
willa
(@willa)

Kia Ora Naiomi thankyou so much for your awhi as Hauraki Maori Trust were unable to help with a contact for Tirohia Marae, I will follow this up. That Gage reunion in the 9Os wouldve been really something!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 May, 2007 9:34 am
mixsta OWC
(@mixsta-owc)

Kia Ora,

my name is Donna Wilson originally I am a Gage, because my grandfather back in the days changed his last name to Wilson so he would not have to go to war...we are actually carrying my grandmothers last name. Our ancestors come from Ngahutoitoi Marae in Paeroa, on Ngahutoitoi Rd.
Hope that helps you....aroha mai

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 May, 2007 1:49 pm
tipene kahuriki OWC
(@tipene-kahuriki-owc)

Kia Ora,
The Gage's from paeroa are mainly from george Gage's line, brother of john & mary.Piko Te Kara hori Gage & Ami Te Kara hori Wilson are brother & sister,they lived on the same street. the gage in Kihikihi is James Te Kara Hori Gage. John & george are buried at kihikihi.

Edited by - tipene kahuriki on Oct 28 2007 12:21:16 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 October, 2007 12:10 am
willa
(@willa)

Kia Ora Tipene many thanks for your awhi. It is George Gages sister Mary who I descend from,and whos descendants I would like to make contact with, Mary married John Allen a farmer in Te Awamutu area - they had 12 children so there must be many descendants. Mary died when her last child- my Grandfather William was born.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 November, 2007 1:38 pm
willa
(@willa)

The names of Mary or Mere Allen nee Gage's other children are Martha, Arthur, Elsie, Luke, Maryanne(Mereana)George, Hone, Sarah, Alice, Walter. If any whakapapa club member has,or knows of these,as Gage descendants I would very much like to hear from them.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 November, 2007 1:58 pm
Share: