Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

I do have some questions referring to the history of nz  

RSS
papajoe OWC
(@papajoe-owc)

Hello, I need some information about some words I couldnt find in books or internet. Furhtermore I am keen on knowing much more about about the Kingitanga Movement. Maybe somebody could help me.

I would be really pleased cause I am translating two chapters of the book Penguin History of New Zealand (into German) written by Michael King which are telling about Maori Lifestyles, survive of the 18 and 19 century. If somebody knows this book or this author it would be nice to know much more about him.

Does he had a good reputation among Maori and Pakeha?

I am looking for the word: Hahi Ringatu which is related to the Kingitanga-Movement but I could find anything.

More question are:
How many Iwi or Hapu had been involved in this movement?

And which is the difference between Ariki, Upoko Runaka and Ringatira?

If somebody knows a source where I could find it or could give more detailed information or reply any of my questions (in English;-)) this would help me a lot.

Posted : 30 September, 2006 1:34 am
alihoupapa OWC
(@alihoupapa-owc)

Micheal King is a great author, another great book he wrote, was Ask That Mountain. This book is about the Taranaki people and the 2 prophets named Te Whiti O Rongomai and Tohu Kakahi.

You can research all Micheal King books on the Christchurch Library website and/or visit your local library.

Another book he wrote was the Moko, this reflected on maori tattooing, chisel and needle style back in the old days.

Micheal King gained alot of respect amongst the maori people in general. He visited many marae, and spoke to alot of our kuia & kaumatua (old people) of how life was for the maori people back in their day. He has many books and always wrote about fact and not fiction. He would always acknowledge the people he wrote about, and eventually over the years gained great respect from the maori people across the motu (country).
There is also a video that you can borrow from the library about Micheal Kings life. It documents all that he has achieved in life with the maori people.

Hahi Ringatu is like to say a religious chapter or congregation. Hahi is the chapter or congregation and Ringatu is the religion. Key word Ringatu and/or movement.

The kingitanga movement is what you could say related to every maori tribe, iwi, hapu around the motu (country).

To translate or get the meaning of a maori word, go and buy a maori dictionary from a book store, as it is offensive if you get the translation wrong.

If you require information on the Kingitanga Movement (Kings movement) look on the maori website search Te Arikinui Dame Te Atairangikahu

This will give you all the answers to what you are searching for good luck.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 October, 2006 3:56 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Where im from we do not use the term Upoko Runaka, however, the other two we do.

Ariki can have many variations but the ultimate where we are is the Ariki Ihorei. This is the supreme leader of the entire tribes and waka. There are also Arikinui and so forth and so on.

Rangatira was given the title of Chief. But has less Authority to the Ariki. The Rangatira is also a member of the council chosen to make decisions concerning the people.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 October, 2006 12:48 pm
legaleagle OWC
(@legaleagle-owc)

it means the Ringatu Church

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 October, 2006 12:02 am
lizzi1977 OWC
(@lizzi1977-owc)

kia ora Papajoe

it's been a while since the last posting and i was wondering how you got on with the translation.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 May, 2007 9:19 pm
Gemini G OWC
(@gemini-g-owc)
Eminent Member

The History of New Zealand as far as this land goes, dates back to 1840. Goes back to it's Flag. That's not very old is it?

Maori History, recorded by New Zealand, as far as this land goes, dates back further.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 February, 2008 10:39 pm
pepe OWC
(@pepe-owc)

Kia ora Papajoe,
I believe 'upoko runaka' is South Island dialect, the runaka is called runanga in the North Island and this term could denote the head person of a council or leader of an assembly.
The ariki is the chief or the tuakana[firstborn] of a tribe's foremost family.
The rangatira describes those of noble birth and may be used in a singular or plural form.
hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 February, 2008 12:33 am
Share: