Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

KAIUKU MARAE  

RSS
Hawkestir OWC
(@hawkestir-owc)

Kia ora
Our storyteller our grandpop, Whariki Solomon Maere; told us the many stories from the Nuhaka,Mohaka east coast areas. He told us his marae was Kaiuku marae in Nuhaka. People I have talked to from the east coast have no knowledge of this marae. If anyone has any information of this marae please make contact.We will be travelling along the east coast later this year to the many places grandpop has told us about and also to look for his marae. Kia ora.

Posted : 22 March, 2005 8:43 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Hawkestir,

Move your mouse over Directories at the top of this page and then choose Marae Directory.

Once there, click on search, put Kaiuku in and click submit.

You will find the address there.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 March, 2005 12:16 am
Hawkestir OWC
(@hawkestir-owc)

Thanks for that.I should have looked at the directory in the first place.Will be making contact this weekend.Kia ora..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 March, 2005 8:13 pm
dooks4
(@dooks4)

kia ora hawkestir,kaiuku marae is in mahia just down the road from nuhaka

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 March, 2005 8:49 pm
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Tena koe Hawkestir

if you go to www.oldfriends.co.nz and search under marae, you will find 13 members signed up to Kaiuku marae, some have posted memories, and one a photo of the marae. You will be able to contact these people who have affliated to Kaiuku marae, from that site.

If you are not a member you will need to create a username first.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 March, 2005 11:57 pm
Mistee OWC
(@mistee-owc)

Kaiuku Marae, yeap in Mahia. I live in Wairoa just down/up the road from Mahia. According to korero, the pa was originally known as Te Oko O Rarenga. It was a pa that was defended by Te Wera Hauraki, which is also the name of the whare. The name change of the pa was when Tuwharetoa, Raukawa and Tuhoe went to attack the pa. As the attack went on for days, the people of the pa were running out of supplies & food. Because of this, apparently you could here the tangata whenua chant that they would rather eat the clay (uku) under then feet then give up or starve to death.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 March, 2005 8:36 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

yea,koiraa te koorero e mistee i tukuna mai ki ahau e tooku kookaa.tuuhoe forced rongomaiwahine and ngati kahungunu to eat clay or die fighting.

not a nice bedtime story!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 November, 2005 11:26 pm
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

Yep... The clay eaters... that's how my Matua remembered his youth. Kaiuku has it's own rugby field. My Dad was raised in a Whare at the other end of the field 1935 to 1950, by his Granduncle "Nanny Beam".

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 November, 2005 9:44 pm
Becks06 OWC
(@becks06-owc)

Kia Ora Hawkestir

Yep Kaiuku is in Mahia, my partner is from there so we get to go back to that marae all the time. It is very beautiful up there and i do know you will enjoy!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 April, 2006 11:06 pm
jormond.mahia OWC
(@jormond-mahia-owc)

Kia Ora Mistee

I have read one of your postings where you have talked about Kaiuku Marae.

The Pa was originally called Oku Rarenga (Not Te Oko O Rarenga as you have said) And the Whare is not called Te Wera Hauraki ( Kiwi is the name of the Whare)

Just correcting you on this to keep the History of my Marae true and correct.

Kia Ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 April, 2006 10:20 pm
Mistee OWC
(@mistee-owc)

Arohamai, that was what we were told when we visited there by Kenny Campbell.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 April, 2006 10:43 pm
Hawkestir OWC
(@hawkestir-owc)

Kia ora to everyone who took the time to reply to my take..will be travelling east coast ways after new years when everyone has gone back to mahi .. kia ora koutou katoa 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 August, 2007 3:37 pm
Share: