Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

LOCKWOOD and Ngati Porou  

RSS
epimoa OWC
(@epimoa-owc)

Thought I'd try a different tack.
Sometime around 1866 William LOCKWOOD (from USA) was married to a widow Margaret MOORE (nee ESPIE) (also known as Makere Moa or Makere Epe). These people are tupuna of the large number of Lockwoood descendants throughout Tai Rawhiti.
As for myself, I believe I am Ngati Porou but I'm lost and would like to find my home. I am descended from Margaret from her first marriage, and here my question is "where did Margaret Espie call home ? ". Do I have a hapu, or marae that I can say I belong to because I am descended from Margaret ?
I will post another message shortly about the MOORE - ESPIE connection.

thank you
Graham

Posted : 28 November, 2005 9:20 pm
margrette
(@margrette)

you do have a Marae in beautiful Anaura Bay situated between Tokomaru Bay and Tolaga Bay

Robert Espie had three children Margaret, Hannah and Daniel alas Daniel drowned when in his teens

The Marae is called Hinetamatea You need to visit and rekindle your ties to the people and the land your Hapu is Wakarara and your Tribe is Hauiti

I personally knew the Lockward twins Mason and Joe Lockwood

The Old lockward home is still standing and should be a priority on your list
cheers marge

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2005 10:10 pm
Share: