Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MALCOLM,Colin Ben Toroa Patu=Harakeke  

RSS
sueblue OWC
(@sueblue-owc)

Kia Ora
I,m trying to trace my father's iwi. Does part of his name tell me this? He was born in Whangarei in 1907.

Posted : 28 August, 2006 7:16 am
Te Kuta OWC
(@te-kuta-owc)

Kia Ora Sue,

I have heard of a tribe or place up there called Patua harakeke,
other than that thats all i know, i know its not much.

We can't live on love and pipi's alone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 August, 2006 11:17 am
sueblue OWC
(@sueblue-owc)

Kia Ora Te Kuta
Thanks, any info is better than none.Still looking though.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 August, 2006 11:52 am
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

Is this uncle Karena Malcolm you refer to?
Of what I know, he had a son named Hohepa [Joe] Malcolm and his daughter, Ruiha [Louisa] Malcolm-Collier.
Karena and his son, Joe are interred at Te Touwai [originally known as Matangirau] up in Whangaroa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 August, 2006 12:16 pm
sueblue OWC
(@sueblue-owc)

Kia Ora
I don't recognize these names but who knows.
My father was Pakeha-non-maori but adopted into the iwi his parents were teachers in.They taught in the Northland and Nuie(Alofi).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 August, 2006 3:01 pm
Anne-G OWC
(@anne-g-owc)

Hi Hohaia,
Was your uncle Karena Malcolm born in Dec 1912 in Mungamuka. Did he marry in 1935 to Mary Anne? Also was his son Joe born in 1936. Do you have any contact details about this family.
Thanks
Anne

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 September, 2006 8:29 pm
Te Rapu OWC
(@te-rapu-owc)

Kia ora Sue, I knew of your father because his second wife was my Aunty Emma Pitman. He has several adult children that live in Whangarei, My partners children are his mokopuna. I know some of the Malcolm whanau are buried at Matangirau which is further north. Patuharakeke is the hapu of Takahiwai which is to the south east of Whangarei. Ngatiwai & Ngapuhi are the iwi connected there but he would have a hapu at Matangirau that perhaps someone knows the name of. good luck with your search.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 October, 2006 12:23 pm
sueblue OWC
(@sueblue-owc)

Kia Ora Naphelia, I tried to email you but it kept getting bounced back to me. Could you please email me privately as I have some questions. I'm in this directory.
Thanks
Sue

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 November, 2006 4:32 pm
wiremupoutu OWC
(@wiremupoutu-owc)

Kia ora Sueblue..Yea i lived in Ruakaka,Whangarei,played a lot of Premier Rugby League up there for Takahiwai Warriors,lived in that area 4 about 15 years,There is a Patuharakeke Hapu at Takahiwai,names i do know from that area are,PIRIHI,PITMEN,EPIHA,MACKIE & JOHNSON,There's a PIRIHI That live's next to me here in Wellington and she is from Patuharakeke,Patuharakeke also take a League team to the Maori league tournament every year.if u want more info contact Takahiwai Marae,they have a home page,go to google an tap in Takahiwai Marae,u can leave message's on there as well as read letter's from people from that area,Also found this on google..
Ko Manaia Te Maunga
Ko Whangarei Te Rerenga Paroa Te Maoana
Ko Takahiwai Te Whenua
Ko Rangiora Te Wharehui
Ko Pirihi Te Tangata
Ko Patuharakeke Te Hapu

Manaia Is The Mountain
Whangarei Habour Is The Sea
Takahiwai Are The Land's
Te Pirihi Is The Man
Patuharakeke Is The Hapu..

Hope this helps..Ma Te Wa...Ngapuhi Nui Tonu

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 February, 2007 2:02 pm
sueblue OWC
(@sueblue-owc)

Kia Ora Wiremupoutu, thanks for the input,you've given me more clues.
Sue

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 February, 2007 2:01 pm
Share: