Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Manuel looking for a taranaki tribe name  

RSS
Tina M OWC
(@tina-m-owc)

I am looking for the Taumaranui Iwi. I know that there is 2 tribes and the family name is Te Rupe. Would greatly appreciate it if anyone can help.

Edited by - Tina M on Oct 28 2006 10:16:47 PM

Edited by - Tina M on Nov 05 2006 10:10:27 AM

Posted : 28 October, 2006 10:12 pm
nikki OWC
(@nikki-owc)

Kia ora Tina. I know this is a late reply but better late than never, hopefully you will read it one day anyway. I am from Taranaki (born and bred there). Taumaranui is not an iwi of Taranaki. There are several different iwi in Taranaki, I think there's 8 to be exact. However Taumaranui may be a hapu. Do you know what part of Taranaki the whanau is from? For example, Nga Rauru is near Patea area, Te Atiawa is around New Plymouth. I'm almost positive it's not a Taranaki Tuturu (around the coast line) hapu though. If you know the general area you may be able to find the iwi that hapu belong to?? Anyway I hope this is of some help to you

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2007 10:42 am
Te Kawatapuarangi OWC
(@te-kawatapuarangi-owc)

Kia Ora

Ive also heard that Taumarunui was also from the Maniapoto Tribe that the town ship boundary ofcourse, but then i could be wrong.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2007 4:07 pm
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

I am looking for the Taumaranui Iwi. I know that there is 2 tribes and the family name is Te Rupe. Would greatly appreciate it if anyone can help.

Edited by - Tina M on Oct 28 2006 10:16:47 PM

Edited by - Tina M on Nov 05 2006 10:10:27 AM

The name is just Rupe. Trevor Rupe is a member of that whanau, more famous as Carmen. I think Carmen is still in Sydney. Alternatively you could make contact with the Whanganui River Maori Trust Board to see if they can help. I think they have a website. They've had a Waitangi Tribunal hearing so have heaps of research data and may allow you access to it.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 January, 2007 7:45 pm
E3MP9RA
(@e3mp9ra)

hiii yeah I'm one of them lolz we use both TE RUPE & RUPE were from all the tribes from down home, Tuwharetoa, Maniapoto, & gnat Hauaroa. Trevor (carmen) and my koro are siblings. out of 11 i think.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 July, 2019 1:07 pm
Share: