Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

MANUKORIHI  

RSS
rolly1 OWC
(@rolly1-owc)

could any one tell me where this name MANUKORIHI orinated from.
the name i have been told is that of my great great grandfather. I'm not sure of any other name associated with it or where it came from.

Posted : 17 March, 2005 7:29 pm
ddblue
(@ddblue)

Kia ora rolly1,

I notice your location is the Nelson area. From what I know of this name it belongs to Te Atiawa Iwi in the Taranaki District.
Owae Marae - Manukorihi pa is located in Waitara.

This link: http://www.trc.govt.nz/HTMLDOCS/IwiContacts/Atiawa/Owae.htm

Try the email address listed.

I do have more info in my source files but may take a few day to locate. If your email is listed I will send to you.

Edited by - ddblue on Mar 18 2005 02:13:43 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 March, 2005 2:08 am
NORMA OWC
(@norma-owc)

My Nanna was Pani Manukorihi from Taranaki she married a Kiwi Ngatai in Waitara

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 September, 2005 5:12 pm
tokomaru OWC
(@tokomaru-owc)

the name manukorihi comes from the subtribe of Te Atiawa of whom, manukorihi is their ancestor. his descendants come from owae marae in waitara, where, as you walk into the wharenui, his pou (which shows him and his ancestor, Toroa) is on the left-hand side, five posts from the back wall. As i said, he is a decendant of Toroa, the captain of the mataatua waka, who is decended from Te Awanuiarangi, the main ancestor of Te Atiawa in the west and Ngati awa in the east.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 October, 2005 11:28 am
waahinemaori OWC
(@waahinemaori-owc)

quote:

could any one tell me where this name MANUKORIHI orinated from.
the name i have been told is that of my great great grandfather. I'm not sure of any other name associated with it or where it came from.

Kia ora, I know there was a Manukorihi from this area,Kawerau/Te Teko who was of Ngatiawa descent and is an ancestor of the Ngaheu whanau.Could this be the one you are looking for?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 October, 2005 7:09 pm
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

Thanks for your query, as I too have been looking for roots back to Manukorihi. I descend from Erueti Manukapanganui who settled in Marlborough 1830's, and we only knew that he was Te Atiawa from Manukorihi in Taranaki. I have been confused as I was told that Manukorihi had there own Marae but also used another somewhere in Taranaki, hence my search for info

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 November, 2005 9:56 pm
whai2karanga OWC
(@whai2karanga-owc)

Taranaki te maunga
Waitara te awa
Korekau he waka, kei konei kë mätou!
Te Ati Awa te iwi
Manukorihi te hapü
Owae Whaitara te papakainga/marae
Ngarue te wharetawhito
Te Ika-roa-a-Maui te wharenui
Tamatane te wharemoe
Tamawahine te wharekai

Tihei mauri ora koutou katoa. To Aubry ...
No. 1 Manukorihi is the old Pa site, still ustilied, which is situated in Waitara, Taranaki.
No. 2 Manukorihi is the hapu pertaining to that area.
No. 3 Owae Whaitara is the marae.
No. 4 Te Ati Awa is the iwi.
Within the Waitara district we have and use all of the marae around.
Mururaupatu, Kairau, Owae, and Urenui.

To waahinemaori ...
As the name says
No. 1 "Birds in chorus" The marae in Waitara had many a tree. Many birds calling out daily.
No. 2 Your great great grandfather may have been named after the place.
No. 3 There is a maunga(mountain) by the same name in Ngati Hineamaru, (Nga Puhi).
To Tokomaru ...
Manukorihi is the name of the hapü.He or she is not the ancestor.
We are descendants of Tamarau-hekenga-i-te-rangi. Yes he is on the left, but he was not a descendant of Toroa.
Toroa and many of the other rangatira in the carved whare are the carvers own input of their own genealogy. And again we are not descended from Te Awanuiarangi!

Näku iti noa ra, na Whai2karanga

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 June, 2006 5:23 pm
kahukura OWC
(@kahukura-owc)

My wife is a descendant of Manukorihi Ngaheu from the TeTeko/Kawerau region. He was her great grandfather.
Manukorihi's mother was Maria Hopere and father was Ngaheu Paora.
Maria's mother was Huriana Te Rehe and father Hopere Joseph Aubrey Obell, (born in France).
Manukorihi was of a quarter French descent,through Joseph.

-Aubry your name may possibly have a link to Manukorihi's French side, sometimes, spelling may change a bit Aubrey-Aubry.

My wife is still trying to find connections to Manukorihi's mother.
-Perhaps there too, could be, a link to the Taranaki side.

Huriana TeRehe parents: father-Rangiatahua mother-Whatarangi

Our ancestor Manukorihi descends from the Mataatua waka.
If anyone has any information that may link or add to this Whakapapa, I will be grateful.

Cheers
Kahukura

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 July, 2006 7:22 am
hinemako OWC
(@hinemako-owc)

Kia ora

I was given the Hapu ingoa Manukorihi from Te Ati Awa apparantly this is the hapu of a Puhi called Waimanapuku Pereniki whom was given over as Purutoto to a Waikato Chief Te Pataka as a symbol of Truce between to Warring Tribes this purutoto stunched the blood today the desendants of this purutoto are searching for any information pertaining to Waimanapuku Pereniki of whom they were told shi is the Moko of Rameka Te Hua Piri or Rameka Te Hua can any one help?

Edited by - hinemako on Aug 22 2006 1:54:13 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 August, 2006 1:52 pm
Dolly OWC
(@dolly-owc)

Tena koe toku tuakana whai2karanga,
he tino roa to korero ne, (katakata)

more on AUBREY

Harcourt Richard Aubrey
born 1820
Died/Buried: 1896, Raetihi, Wanganui

Married our tupuna whaea - Mere Taura

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 August, 2006 1:24 pm
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

Kia Ora Kahukura, I believe you are right with Aubrey O'Bell, his grand son Nehemia md my granddads sister Taraipine Edwards, and grand daughter Katarina md Kingi Newton, whose family I have known since a youngster. However, I know I was named after a Aubrey Wairau-Ormond from Mahia, don't know if the two names connect by whakapapa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 November, 2006 8:20 pm
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

Kia Ora whai2karanga, the info on Manukorihi is very helpful to my research, and clarifies my understanding ...tino pai te mahi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 November, 2006 8:22 pm
hinemako OWC
(@hinemako-owc)

quote:

Kia ora

I was given the Hapu ingoa Manukorihi from Te Ati Awa apparantly this is the hapu of a Puhi called Waimanapuku Pereniki whom was given over as Purutoto to a Waikato Chief Te Pataka as a symbol of Truce between to Warring Tribes this purutoto stunched the blood today the desendants of this purutoto are searching for any information pertaining to Waimanapuku Pereniki of whom they were told shi is the Moko of Rameka Te Hua Piri or Rameka Te Hua can any one help?

Edited by - hinemako on Aug 22 2006 1:54:13 PM

Waimanapuuku was the moko to Te Rongopai I thru his daughter Rerewhaiterangi....I know these ingoa are old arohamai I got to start somewhere...
When the purutoto was made this Puhi returned to Waikato and stayed Waimanapuku then became Pereniki whom maried Te Pataka a.k.a Te Aho-o-te-rangi from whom came my line Retimana and others like Hapimana (the Hapi Whanau) and others around Rangiriri and Huntly....
Awhina mai koa

Edited by - hinemako on Dec 15 2007 11:59:08 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 December, 2007 11:57 pm
Share: