Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Nga waka o Te Whanau a Apanui  

Page 1 / 3
  RSS
allikat1 OWC
(@allikat1-owc)

Kia Ora whanui, my name is Allister James Walker and am of Whanau a Apanui, Ngati Porou and Ngatu Kahungunu descent. I want to concentrate on my Whanau a Apanui side today and invite discussion on which waka our iwi connects to.

In most of the Maori books and iwi groupings you come across, Whanau a Apanui is always listed as being of the Maatatua confederation. I disagree ( and please feel free to correct me if am wrong . I have been researching whakapapa for over 13 years now; and from what I understand Whanau a Apanui is named after Apanui Ringamutu and not Apanui Waipapa.

The father of Apanui was Turirangi, who came from Rangiuru near Te Puke and was Ngati Tapuika. On his mother's side he was of Ngaariki descent and also could whakapapa back to Toi through Muturangi and Motataumaitawhiti. So that makes him Te Arawa and Ngaariki.

Rongomaihuatahi, the mother of Apanui was descended from the senior Ngati Porou line through her grandfather Taua. Her mother was Iranui, the sister of Kahungunu and Ranginui.

To me, Maatatua is Ngati Awa, Ngati Pukeko, Whakatohea, Tuhoe, Ngaiterangi and some of Nga Puhi. If Apanui's parents were Te Arawa and Takitimu, how do people arrive at the conclusion that we are Maatatua? Whanau a Apanui intermarried with a lot of these tribes I mentioned earlier, but that is not what their original origins were.

Ngi Tai in Torere is another good example. Torere nui a Rua came off the Tainui waka as did her first husband (so i've been told) so again, what makes them Maatatua?

When I mihi myself. I always say Ko Te Whanau a Apanui te iwi, Ko Te Arawa me Horouta nga waka. I have been corrected by one or two kaumatua, but am I wrong or am I right? I would appreciate some feedback from those in the know.

Anyway, even though my father was brough up at Awanui Haparapara and Te Kaha I was brought up in Auckland and don't know very much about the history of Te Whanau a Apanui. If anyone out there could help fill in the gaps that would be awesome.
Haere ra
Allister

Posted : 22 November, 2006 11:35 am
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Tena koe e Allister,
In noting that the origins are of Te Arawa and Horouta descent you of course would be right, however, its not as simple as looking back through lines.

There are other factors that play a part in contributing to a tribes hononga to another iwi. Such as the proximity of tribes to each other, warfares, intermarriages etc.

For instance, take the Ngati Pukeko people, who for sometime lived under the protection of the Tuhourangi people, and became well incorporated within.

Also, Ngati Hinemihi, who are direct to Ngati Tarawhai but take alliegence to Tuhourangi.

I think its important to know the origins but i would support the Kaumatua in correcting you, because they understand the history and the origin and the journey to now.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 November, 2006 12:18 pm
maniapoto_jack OWC
(@maniapoto_jack-owc)

E Allister tena koorua ko taiga,

I recently visited Te Whanau a Apanui lands for the first time staying at Wairuru Marae in Raukokore, the land up there boarded by the coast is beautiful and the history is so rich, i was interested in hearing of the many connection between Tainui and Apanui by local kaumaatua. Anyway to the kaupapa, i am not of Apanui descent and nor am i well knowledged in there whakapapa or history but i have heard much refference in connection with Apanui people to the waka Tauira-mai-taawhiti through songs, whaikoorero etc...do u know more about this waka?

Kiaora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 November, 2006 2:36 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Ae tena koe, Maniapoto,
That is right Ko Tauiramaitawhiti te waka, i would have to check with my other rellies as my knowledge of the whanau is limited also

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 November, 2006 2:47 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

Tena tatau

There is whakapapa between Mataatua and Te Whanau a Apanui, from Muriwai.

Muriwai's descendant Uekahikatea was killed in war and he was avenged by Tamahinengaro [Ngati Porou through Haukiterangi]. Tamahinengaro was given Uhengaparaoa, also descended of Muriwai as his wife but he gave her to his son instead, Rakaipikiraraunga. From this union came Rutanga.

When Rakaipikirarunga died suddenly, Uhengaparaoa was given to his taina Mokaiaporou and from this union came Rongomaitauarau.

Rutanga & Rongomaitauarau were both betrothed to Tumoanakotore, of Ngati Porou through Rongomaianiwaniwa.

From the tuakana comes Hinemahuru who was Apanuiwaipapa's wife.

Thus is the main whakapapa between Mataatua & Te Whanau a Apanui, however kei te tika tau. The main waka is Tauiramaitawhiti, which brough our tipuna Poumatangatanga, bearer of the moki and Motataumaitawhiti who was the captain to my knowledge.

Te Whanau a Apanui have many connections to many iwi/waka as Whangaparaoa was one of the main landing places of the waka which came from Hawaiki.

Ngati Porou is much the same. Most people believe that Horouta is our waka tipuna when actually it is a waka tipuna for the people of Turanganui a Kiwa. Nukutere, Rereanini, Te Ikaroa a Rauru & Mangarara are other waka which have more genealogical significance than Horouta. Tera te whakatauki o aku matua tipuna : Horouta wananga, Nukutere tangata"

Mena kua ara ake he urupounamu ano i a koe, tena pakirehua mai ki a ahau.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 November, 2006 4:48 pm
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

Kia Ora whanui, my name is Allister James Walker and am of Whanau a Apanui, Ngati Porou and Ngatu Kahungunu descent. I want to concentrate on my Whanau a Apanui side today and invite discussion on which waka our iwi connects to.

In most of the Maori books and iwi groupings you come across, Whanau a Apanui is always listed as being of the Maatatua confederation. I disagree ( and please feel free to correct me if am wrong . I have been researching whakapapa for over 13 years now; and from what I understand Whanau a Apanui is named after Apanui Ringamutu and not Apanui Waipapa.

The father of Apanui was Turirangi, who came from Rangiuru near Te Puke and was Ngati Tapuika. On his mother's side he was of Ngaariki descent and also could whakapapa back to Toi through Muturangi and Motataumaitawhiti. So that makes him Te Arawa and Ngaariki.

Rongomaihuatahi, the mother of Apanui was descended from the senior Ngati Porou line through her grandfather Taua. Her mother was Iranui, the sister of Kahungunu and Ranginui.

To me, Maatatua is Ngati Awa, Ngati Pukeko, Whakatohea, Tuhoe, Ngaiterangi and some of Nga Puhi. If Apanui's parents were Te Arawa and Takitimu, how do people arrive at the conclusion that we are Maatatua? Whanau a Apanui intermarried with a lot of these tribes I mentioned earlier, but that is not what their original origins were.

Ngai Tai in Torere is another good example. Torere nui a Rua came off the Tainui waka as did her first husband (so i've been told) so again, what makes them Maatatua?

When I mihi myself. I always say Ko Te Whanau a Apanui te iwi, Ko Te Arawa me Horouta nga waka. I have been corrected by one or two kaumatua, but am I wrong or am I right? I would appreciate some feedback from those in the know.

Anyway, even though my father was brough up at Awanui Haparapara and Te Kaha I was brought up in Auckland and don't know very much about the history of Te Whanau a Apanui. If anyone out there could help fill in the gaps that would be awesome.
Haere ra
Allister

To supplement what you know and have been told by others on this site, Turirangi was from the Motu River, not Te Puke. His tipuna held a competition for a pataka and the winner was Tuariki, son of Ihenga, son of Tuhoromatakaka, son of Tamatekapua. As payment, he was given Tanepawhero as a wife. That was the first tie with Te Arawa. A second tie is through Tauruao, Rangitihi's only daughter and one of his 8 children. As such, Te Whanau a Apanui is one of the "8 beating hearts of Te Arawa". However, that's probably ignored nowdays.

Tauiramaitawhiti was the waka of Turirangi's paternal line and was wrecked at Whangaparaoa.

As you've noted, the Porourangi element is represented by the Apanui Waipapa whanau. As well, through Iranui, they had strong Takitimu lines.

There were constant marriages with Ngai Tai hence the Tainui lines.

Through Muriwai and Repanga are early Mataatua lines. There have been many marriages since particularly between the people from Te Kaha west and the Ngati Awa people.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 January, 2007 2:31 pm
matatabornnbred
(@matatabornnbred)

Kia Ora Te Paetahi,
I am helping my Partner research his parental whakapapa and have found both of our whakapapa crossing paths so to speak which no doubt is very common. Firstly thankyou for all your helpful korero today. I am Te Arawa of the Ngati Rangitihi hapu. So would be very interested in any korero about Tauruao. I descend from her brother Rangiaohia. My partner is from the whanau Honana of Cape Runaway, but sadly can only go back to his grandfather who was Ngahina Honana married to Rangitaraiora Ranapia of Opape, Opotiki. My maternal whakapapa is also of Opape as I am of the Hudson whanau who also seem to be very closely related to the Ranapia whanau.Hence the keen interest.Would you,hearty nati or anybody have any info at all. Kia Ora Ano.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 January, 2007 4:56 pm
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

Kia Ora Te Paetahi,
I am helping my Partner research his parental whakapapa and have found both of our whakapapa crossing paths so to speak which no doubt is very common. Firstly thankyou for all your helpful korero today. I am Te Arawa of the Ngati Rangitihi hapu. So would be very interested in any korero about Tauruao. I descend from her brother Rangiaohia. My partner is from the whanau Honana of Cape Runaway, but sadly can only go back to his grandfather who was Ngahina Honana married to Rangitaraiora Ranapia of Opape, Opotiki. My maternal whakapapa is also of Opape as I am of the Hudson whanau who also seem to be very closely related to the Ranapia whanau.Hence the keen interest.Would you,hearty nati or anybody have any info at all. Kia Ora Ano.

Anei:

Apanui Ringamutu = Kiritapu (w4)
Kahurautao = Te Rangipaanga
Toakino = Hinetito
Hautuku = Ngahina
Te Kekeretai = Pihi
Horomona Pio = Meri
Ramari Ware = Matiu Pako
Ani Matiu = ?
Ngahina Honana

I don't have a spouse for Ani Matiu. Does your partner know? I also don't have any other kids but Ngahina. Then people on this whakapapa are essentially from Cape Runaway and Waihau Bay. If he wants the whole thing let me know and give me a postal address.

Our korero about Tauruao is she lived with her father at Rotoiti. She owned a pet tui and one day it flew away. She followed it and ended up in Te Puke where a Ngariki man from Maraenui was visiting. She ended up married to him and moved to his home area. The hapu most closely linked to that marriage is Te Whanau a Tuwahiawa.

As you already know, the Ranapias and the Hudsons are Whakatohea whanau. I know Tairongo Amoamo was compiling that whakapapa but I don't know if he ever completed it and now the koroua has altzheimers and I can't suggest an alternative.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 January, 2007 9:34 pm
matatabornnbred
(@matatabornnbred)

Kia Ora Ano Te Paetahi,
THANKYOU SO MUCH!!! You cannot comprehend the elation we are feeling Te Paetahi! You have filled in the biggest part of the jigsaw we have struggled with in recent months. I have a suspicion who the father is but need to clarify with maori land minutes.He was more than likely Tainui, which is another part of the whakapapa we are researching and it also stops at the same man. We are very grateful. We also accept your offer for info and will e-mail our address. I will post what I already have about the Whanaus Ranapia and Hudson and see how I go. My partner and children thank you once again.
There is also a posting you might want to look at to see if their are some names you might know. That's if you havent already!. It is under the forum Looking for Tipuna and is headed Maioha Honana. This is the post that first helped me start our research and now I'm a Papa Panui addict! The author happens to be very close whanau to my partner and we now keep in touch. Still filling in alot of gaps. Through the author we have met another whanau of the Pako whanau. Wow now you have added yet more.

Edited by - donna2547 on Jan 25 2007 1:14:19 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 January, 2007 11:29 pm
matatabornnbred
(@matatabornnbred)

Hi Te Paetahi,
Just one more if i can please. My grandfather was Henry Motutere Hudson of Opape,Opotiki. His father was Joseph Rakena Hudson or Hatihana. Joseph's MOTHER was Roka Manutaharoa. Now she, it's been told to me, was also from Cape Runaway? Also that she is connected with the Leach whanau?. She is the connection to the Ranapia whanau I feel. Our Whakatane-based Hudson whanau know nothing of her at all. Can anyone help?. Kia Ora.

Edited by - donna2547 on Jan 25 2007 1:46:40 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 January, 2007 1:42 pm
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

Hi Te Paetahi,
Just one more if i can please. My grandfather was Henry Motutere Hudson of Opape,Opotiki. His father was Joseph Rakena Hudson or Hatihana. Joseph's MOTHER was Roka Manutaharoa. Now she, it's been told to me, was also from Cape Runaway? Also that she is connected with the Leach whanau?. She is the connection to the Ranapia whanau I feel. Our Whakatane-based Hudson whanau know nothing of her at all. Can anyone help?. Kia Ora.

Edited by - donna2547 on Jan 25 2007 1:46:40 PM

I looked at the Maioha Honana site but don't recognise any of the names. However, the whakapapa I do have shows the following:

Ramari Ware = Matiu Pako

1. Mereana Honana
2. Hunia Matiu = Mako
3. Waiariki Matiu = Ramari Heremia
4. Ani Matiu

Hunia and Mako are the grandparents of Joe Rua who lives at Raukokore
There is a big whanau of Waiariki's in that they had 14 kids but only one son and most of the descendants don't carry the Waiariki name.

Regard Roka Manutaharoa, I'll have to dig around to see if I can find her. I don't recognise her and the Leach's I know are Ngati Porou so maybe you need to look there too.

There are two Ranapia whanau in Te Whanau a Apanui, one being the descendants of Ranapia Te Kete and the other being probably the one you're after. Hai lived at Cape Runaway and drowned in around 1963 at Oruaiti Beach where the Pako's belong. His brother Hi used to own the pool hall in Whakatane at that time. You may be able to explore things with that whanau. I know there was another brother, Te Rere but I don't know what happened to him.

When I lived down the Coast, our neighbours were the Hei whanau. They have strong Whakatohea links as descendants of Tauha Nikora from Ngai Tamahaua and Ngati Rua. However, they added to that via their mother, Marella (Dickie) Hei nee Hudson from Opape. She married Hamiora Hei II and had 13 kids I think. I know her kids still live on the whanau land at Maraehako and they may be able to help you. Alternatively you could try people like Ruka Hudson whose daughter Rewa used to be a top tennis player. Also, Ruka's sister Bubby Turner is Piri Weepu's grandmother and I heard she'd moved back to Opotiki.

Who do you belong to? Years ago, Ben Hudson from Ruatoki was here in Wellington and married Jenny Anderson-Smith who I worked with. I also knew Harry Semmens from Matata. Neither name is common so I assume you're connected.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 January, 2007 8:54 pm
matatabornnbred
(@matatabornnbred)

Thankyou again. Hai and Hi Ranapia were my partner's Dad Hunia Honana's brothers. They went after their mother's maiden name. She was Rangitaraiora Ranapia of Opape,Opotiki who married Ngahina Honana. Uncle Hi,Uncle Ray(Ereatara)or Terere, and Hunia moved to Whakatane at their different times. We have just been given Uncle Joe Rua's name to ask of whakapapa and history as well.

Thankyou for info on Hudson whanau. Much appreciated.

Ben Hudson is my first cousin! His father was Robert Hudson, my mother Freda's brother. Our Hudson whanau were raised on their mother's turangawaewae. At Wairaka, Whakatane. Ngati Hokopu. Their mother was Wiripene Merito. Wiripene's grandmother was Erena Taupopki. Sister of Mita Taupopoki. Another Branch I'm searching.

Harry Semmens is my grandfather. My dad is Harry alius Tony who Grand dad lived with before passing in 1994. I have recently just moved home to Matata. I am helping my partner with his as I pretty much know most of mine bar a few branches.

Wow! Your've made my night once again. Hey if i can help you just ask but you seem to be very knowledgable already. Thankyou.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 January, 2007 9:50 pm
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

Thankyou again. Hai and Hi Ranapia were my partner's Dad Hunia Honana's brothers. They went after their mother's maiden name. She was Rangitaraiora Ranapia of Opape,Opotiki who married Ngahina Honana. Uncle Hi,Uncle Ray(Ereatara)or Terere, and Hunia moved to Whakatane at their different times. We have just been given Uncle Joe Rua's name to ask of whakapapa and history as well.

Thankyou for info on Hudson whanau. Much appreciated.

Ben Hudson is my first cousin! His father was Robert Hudson, my mother Freda's brother. Our Hudson whanau were raised on their mother's turangawaewae. At Wairaka, Whakatane. Ngati Hokopu. Their mother was Wiripene Merito. Wiripene's grandmother was Erena Taupopki. Sister of Mita Taupopoki. Another Branch I'm searching.

Harry Semmens is my grandfather. My dad is Harry alius Tony who Grand dad lived with before passing in 1994. I have recently just moved home to Matata. I am helping my partner with his as I pretty much know most of mine bar a few branches.

Wow! Your've made my night once again. Hey if i can help you just ask but you seem to be very knowledgable already. Thankyou.

The Merito whanau has its origins in Whanau a Apanui too. If you want that whakapapa, I'll dig around for it too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 January, 2007 10:04 pm
matatabornnbred
(@matatabornnbred)

He!He! Heard that one too. My grandmother was Wiripene Merito. Her father was Merito Hetaraka. Yes please anything much appreciated. last but not least my eldest is to a Ngamoki of Omaio. My daughter says her father dosent know much of that side. His father was Paul Ngamoki. Paul's father was Ron Ngamoki married to Mona Butler who resides there. Hey all this talk of the coast makes me hungry for kina. Ka kite.

Edited by - donna2547 on Jan 25 2007 10:41:17 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 January, 2007 10:39 pm
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

He!He! Heard that one too. My grandmother was Wiripene Merito. Her father was Merito Hetaraka. Yes please anything much appreciated. last but not least my eldest is to a Ngamoki of Omaio. My daughter says her father doesn't know much of that side. His father was Paul Ngamoki. Paul's father was Ron Ngamoki married to Mona Butler who resides there. Hey all this talk of the coast makes me hungry for kina. Ka kite.

Edited by - donna2547 on Jan 25 2007 10:41:17 PM

Apanui Ringamutu
Marutawhao
Te Whakapakina
Mahutahuta
Turape
Te Pahiwi
Ngarangikataia
Te Tawhiro
Hetaraka
Merito Hetaraka

The key tipuna here is Mahutahuta whose descendants married strongly into the Rangitaiki hapu. Many of the people from Te Teko descend from him.

Like many Apanui rangatira, Merito was strongly related to the Ngati Awa people. However, he was born and bred at Omaio. He was a cousin of Paora Ngamoki, Koopu Erueti and Arapeta Erueti and was one of the leading pakeke of Apanui in his day.

Can't say I know Ron Ngamoki. I left home over 40 years ago and the Ngamoki's I recall are people like Peter, Kiwa and so on. I may know him by a Maori name. I know the Butlers from Omaio. Bill used to drive the school bus. His father was Patara Akuhata, so I was told, and the Augusts are another Omaio whanau. Yes, I still go home for a decent (or indecent) feed of kina and koura. Our whanau home is at Whanarua Bay.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 February, 2007 8:24 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: