Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

NGAPUHI connections to TIRAHA TAURA OF Tauratumaru Marae  

RSS
happyfam OWC
(@happyfam-owc)

" I am a descendent of TIRAHA TAURA, who was born at Utakura, Hokianga on an unknown date, but approx 1828.
Do you have any information on this person? Did she belong to your marae?

I do know the following: She was married to a William Cook 13 march 1848 at Paihia. She was of Papoto Hapu, but seems to have had Ngaitiwaka connections. Tiraha and William had 12 children and my line comes from their first born, George, also known as Hori Tiraha or Hori Kuku"

Thanks for your help

Posted : 26 February, 2005 2:04 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora happyfam,

If you go to [url="http://www.maori.org.nz/databases/marae/search.htm "]maori.org.nz Marae Database Search[/url] and choose place and search for Utukura, you will find three contacts for the Marae there. Maybe you could email them and ask.

Good luck and let us know how you got on.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 March, 2005 5:22 pm
taimona OWC
(@taimona-owc)

I am also a descendant of Tiraha. Contact me for info. Would like to hear from you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 April, 2005 10:04 pm
Genie OWC
(@genie-owc)

Kia ora

My great grandmother Jane Cook was one of Tiraha's and William's daughters - I would be happy to make contact with anyone with links to Tiraha

Kind Regards
Lorraine Creighton Rice

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 November, 2005 12:09 pm
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

Ko TAURATUMARU Te Matua Tupuna
Ko Tauratumaru ka moe ia a Tutahua [w]
Ka puta mai a Wharetoru [w]
Ko Wharetoru ka moe ia a Te Wairua
Ka puta mai a Te Kuta [w]
Ko Te Kuta ka moe ia a Ngapeka
Ka puta mai a Te Numanga
Ko Te Numanga ka moe ia a Hika [w]
Ka puta mai a Tahuhu [w]
Ko Tahuhu ka moe ia a Taura
Ka puta mai a Kopa [w]
Ko Kopa ka moe ia a Papaharakeke
Ka puta mai a Tiraha [w]
Ko Tiraha ka moe ia a William Cook
Ka puta mai o nga uri.

KEY: [w] = wahine

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 November, 2005 6:57 pm
Te Kuta OWC
(@te-kuta-owc)

Kia Ora whanau,

Jus wondering, do you guys know who Taura Tumaru's parents were?

We can't live on love and pipi's alone.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 December, 2006 11:18 pm
taimona OWC
(@taimona-owc)

Tuwharerangi and Wairoa (w).

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 December, 2006 6:49 pm
wiremupoutu OWC
(@wiremupoutu-owc)

Kia ora my name Wiremu Poutu,i saw abit of info about William Cook and his wife Tiraha,also on their eldest son George at www.dnzb.govt.nz just tap in the name George Howe Cook,hope this helps theirs also a 1890 photo of Herbert Francis Cook and family...Ma Te Wa...Ngapuhi Nui Tonu

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 December, 2006 9:07 pm
wiremupoutu OWC
(@wiremupoutu-owc)

Ka ora Wiremu Poutu again,i was looking through my whakapapa book and came across some Whakapapa charts written in 1902 concerning Tiraha Taura starting at some of her children,Henare Kuku{Cook},Hori Kuku,Neri Kuku,Hohepa Kuku and Ani kuku going bak to their Gt,Gt,Gt,Gt,Gt,Gt,Gt Grandparent's Ratakitahi{M}=Rakataha{F} through whom i spring fourth from,would like to hear from u my e-mail is wiremupoutu@clear.net.nz...Ma Te Wa..Ngapugi Nui Tonu

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 December, 2006 8:27 am
wiremupoutu OWC
(@wiremupoutu-owc)

Miss printed my e-mail it is wiremupoutu@clear.net.nz hope to hear from u soon..Ma Te Wa...Ngapuhi Nui Tonu..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 December, 2006 8:30 am
Share: