Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

NGAPUHI hapu???  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
maori__pwincezz OWC
(@maori__pwincezz-owc)

Kia Ora every1...
Well Im a bit lost with my whole maori side so i was wondering,
what hapu all belong to Ngapuhi?

So far i know of Ngatihine...

LoLz anything would be heplful

Posted : 03 August, 2006 1:21 pm
K.Te Keepa Rata Te Awe OWC
(@k-te-keepa-rata-te-awe-owc)

Kia Ora,

What area up Nth is your whanau from?
Ngati Hine is from Kawakawa.

You will find this site very helpful from the members, so the more info you can provide, you can sit back and watch the help pour in.

take care

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 August, 2006 4:28 pm
iki OWC
(@iki-owc)

Tena koe, Aroha mai for my limited knowledge but ummm would Nga Puhi be the Iwi which all other hapu fall under?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 August, 2006 4:52 pm

Kia ora Iki,

This is a simple guideline for you.

In Maori, whanau does not mean mum, dad and 2.5 children. The square box image of today's society.

We have whanau making up many members of your family.
We then have many families making up a hapu (sub or small tribe as such).
We then have many hapu within nui rohe (huge area) known as our iwi or tribe.

So, Nga Puhi is an iwi. The Rohe (area or boundary) of Nga Puhi is within the Tai Tokerau (Northland) rohe (area). My iwi is Ngati Whatua ki te Kaipara, and this is within the Dargaville area, Northland, Nga Puhi begins around Whangarei and goes right up to Te Rarawa, which is another Iwi around Kaitaia. Nga Puhi also covers the Hokianga, there's also another Iwi there named Ngati Kahu. If you go to a library and have a look at Maori history, you will discover pictures showing the boundaries of each iwi, bearing in mind, these are up for dispute really, my tupuna (ancestors) shared their knowledge of our rohe (boundary) by a large oak tree at the bottom of our Maunga (mountain).

Good luck with your endeavour, and I truely welcome the interest anybody has in discovering who they are as Maori.

Just so you know, in Maori Tikanga (Philosophy), it was foreseen as such, a change in all Maori once Makariki (Maori new year) begins, which was only last month in July in 2006. This year marks the year when Maori start to go home. This doesn't mean, physically going home, but going home to our true selves, who we are as Maori and what that really means. I personally started with Te Tiriti o Waitangi (The treaty of Waitangi), where this uncovered a real open, blatant disregard to a culture, our culture by the colonists. It gave me the passion to search and search and eventually searching my whakapapa and found some beautiful people to talk to online at maori.org.nz, and I am extending that aroha to you all here, learning and starting to discover who you are. Kia ora, tena pae.

Edited by - K.Te Keepa Rata Te Awe on Aug 03 2006 9:37:09 PM

Edited by - K.Te Keepa Rata Te Awe on Aug 03 2006 9:38:49 PM

Edited by - K.Te Keepa Rata Te Awe on Aug 03 2006 9:40:12 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 August, 2006 9:34 pm
maori__pwincezz OWC
(@maori__pwincezz-owc)

Thank You fallaz heaps... ALL these responces are way kewl! im gonna keep lookn up dis maori stuff coz its lookin to be VERY interesting. oh btw im not totally cluless about my maori stuff its just i need alot of work to get upto scratch... if you know what i mean

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 August, 2006 11:16 pm

Kia ora pwincezz,

Ka pae. We all have to start somewhere, the key is starting.

good luck and stay in touch with your goals.

kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 August, 2006 11:54 am
maori__pwincezz OWC
(@maori__pwincezz-owc)

Oh btw... im from motatau, near kawakawa. i think another name for it is ngatitetarawa unless its my sub - sub - tribe lolz.
sorry guys about my uncertainty.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 August, 2006 3:23 pm
Arongo
(@arongo)

Kia ora maori pwincezz. on the subject of hapu from Nga Puhi, its still a slight mystery for me. My hapu on my Papa side Waekoi, we hang out in Waihou, just of of Panguru.I also read your profile and saw you be looking for your papa and whanau for Kaikohe/Ngawha. My papa stays up your way and he may be able to help you find some answers. Look him up on this site Wimutu Te Whiu. Hope this helps

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 September, 2006 5:02 am
te ngahere OWC
(@te-ngahere-owc)

Kia Ora,
You are definitely Ngati Hine if you're from Motatau.
I'd say you come off an extended whanau group. As the hapu got bigger the many whanau probably wanted their own autonomy. Someone can correct me on this. The place next to Motatau is Pipiwai and they're known as Te Orewai.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 September, 2006 8:14 pm
carameldeluxe OWC
(@carameldeluxe-owc)

kia ora well its interesting that your subtribe is nga puhi and that is the same as me
My IWI -Ngati wai-area Whangaruru
My hapu is Nga puhi- so i have the same subtribe as you.
good luck on your search!!!go hard gurl

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 May, 2007 11:08 am
ldsangel OWC
(@ldsangel-owc)

Kia ora... still learning myself but yes Pipiwai / Te Orewai is next to Motatau. Also Kaikau is between the two.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 June, 2007 12:10 am
Muriwhenua OWC
(@muriwhenua-owc)

How many hapu are in Nga Puhi ki tonu?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 June, 2007 9:10 am
Past OWC
(@past-owc)

Kia ora I too am lost and am not sure which area we belong to up north? Sarah Tiraroa married Dennis Browne Cochrane and they had 5 children. Information I have come across states Sarah Tiraroa is of Te Rarawa tribe. I thought we belong to Nga Puhi and this has confused me as well as reading "Hokianga" by Jack Lee as in the back there are sooooo many hapu.
I would appreciate the help I too am tyring to find my whanau and looking for Sarah Tiraroa whakapapa.
ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 August, 2007 4:14 pm
loyal005 OWC
(@loyal005-owc)

Kia ora maori pwincezz,
I know that the hapu for Ngawha is Ngati Rangi so that's another one to add to your list!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 August, 2007 7:23 pm
JeniTaylor OWC
(@jenitaylor-owc)

Kiaora everyone,
I've also started searching this year for my maori history as it was denied to us by our close relatives, I'm not sure why but the information is kept from my father and us. I know now that my Grandma grew up in Kaeo, we are decendents of Te Ururoa, Arana Ururoa & Annie Flavell from ngapuhi, hapu= ngati uru.
A lot of the information I've found from people on this site, it's more than I could have imagined to find out. My cousins and I have been wondering for so long!
If this sounds familier to anyone drop me a message, also if anyone has any information on the marae in kaeo, let me know. I've visited a few sites and I know my Grandma worked in the freezing works there which i've seen photos of. It means a lot to me to be uncovering our history.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 September, 2007 11:55 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: