Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

NGATI KURI  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Bumpity OWC
(@bumpity-owc)

Kia Ora. I am trying to find out as much history on my whanau as possible for a personal research project I am 'attempting'. I am trying to become self-aware of my Whakapapa etc. I am a great grand daughter of Edward Cook from the Whangamumu Whalers. I am Nga Puhi, Ngati Kuri. My marae is Waikare. BUT apart from this I am clueless to my ancestry. PLEASE HELP!!

Kia Ora!!!!!

Posted : 23 April, 2005 9:32 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora Bumpity,

If you make sure you are in the Whakapapa Club and then click on full search and search for COOK you will get quite a few results, so you may be able to find whanau there. There are also other members looking for information on the Cook Whanau.

Also the book The Tribes of Muriwhenua: Their Stories and Origins has alot of info on the History of ngati Kuri. There is a link to this book on the front page of the Whakapapa Club

Good luck and let us know how you get on

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 April, 2005 4:14 pm
Phebs OWC
(@phebs-owc)

Kia ora Bumpity.
If your marae is Waikare your Hapu would be Te Kapotai.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 April, 2005 7:46 pm
taimona OWC
(@taimona-owc)

I am also a descendant of the Cook's. Our hapu is Kapotai as well as Te Popoto. Contact me for more info, also have pics.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 April, 2005 10:15 pm
ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC
(@ngati_kurihotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora Bumpity,

How is your search going? I was recently at a Cook (Annie) Tangi and the Cook (Kuku) family is large. We are related to the Cooks via Tuhiata Paneere (from Te Poroporo). Some say the lineage is via Native American lines others say Portuguese. I do not know where Whangamumu is?

Maybe Taimona can help us?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 May, 2006 9:01 am
taimona OWC
(@taimona-owc)

Kia Ora. Whangamumu is just before Cape Brett, practically East of Russell. Do a search for Cook on this site, there is a panui for the Cook Whanau reunion. Where does Tuhiata fit in? Also Ngati Kuri - try a search on this site for Clendon - maybe you can help with my question.

Edited by - taimona on May 30 2006 1:58:44 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 May, 2006 12:45 pm
Willow-Jean Downs OWC
(@willow-jean-downs-owc)

Tena koe,

It sounds like you are a descendant of William & Tiraha Cook. They had a number of descendants who were involved in whaling at Whangamumu, particularly my Great-Great Grandfather George Howe Cook and his brother Herbert Francis Cook. We are having a reunion for descendants of William and Tiraha at Waikare this year. Here are the details.

COOK WHANAU REUNION
Descendants of William & Tiraha Cook
20-22 October 2006
Waikare Marae
Enquiries
Willow-Jean Downs 04 475 8558 or
Eve Shepherd 07 856 6290
whanaureunion@hotmail.com

Please contact us if you are interested and we will send you the registration form etc. I can help you out with your whakapapa too.

Nga mihi
Willow-Jean

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 May, 2006 5:03 pm
Willow-Jean Downs OWC
(@willow-jean-downs-owc)

Kia ora koutou
I am responding to an earlier posting by ngati_kuri@hotmail.com. There is another Cook whanau in the North which descend from a man named Marcellus Cook. Marcellus was Native American. He came to New Zealand on the American Barque "Swallow" in 1885.

From the research we have done, Marcellus had 4 wives. The 1st was from Pawarenga, the 2nd from Kaimaumau (Tuhiata Panere), the 3rd Charlotte Hilda Edmonds (Strongman) and the 4th Mary Mahanga Otene.

Marcellus Cook settled in Kerikeri. Like most men of that district, Marcellus earned a living by supplying fish to Walter Mountain's canning factory in Purerua.

Marcellus died of a stroke in 1954. He is buried in our family cemetery, Te Otingaparengaroa (Skudders Beach, Kerikeri).

From what we know the Cook family of Kerikeri/Kaimaumau and the Cook family of Waikare/Whangamumu/Russell are not directly related, however there have been marriages between descendants of the two Cook families. I come from both families. My Great-grandfather William Otene Cook was a son of Marcellus Cook and my Great-grandmother Agnes Ada Mary Cook was a descendant of William and Tiraha Cook of Waikare/Whangamumu/Russell.

Heoi ano, I hope this is helpful.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 June, 2006 5:13 pm
ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC
(@ngati_kurihotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

Willow,
Thanks for your Cooks' family line clarification.

Do you have Kaimaumau as where Tuhiata was living after marriage as I am to understand the Paneere papakainga is Te Poroporo.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 June, 2006 9:58 am
Willow-Jean Downs OWC
(@willow-jean-downs-owc)

Kia ora,

I don't know alot about that whanau (as I come from a different line). I know that Marcellus and Tuhiata had a son whom our family knew as Paddy. He married Rihi Pene.I heard that they had about 21 children (other versions say 17??). It may have been Rihi who came from Kaimaumau. There are many Cook's buried in the urupa at Kaimaumau. Sorry but I don't know anything about the Panere whanau.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 June, 2006 2:23 pm
kalala00 OWC
(@kalala00-owc)

Kia Ora every one,
I am also a descendant of Marcellus Cook, my grandparents were the late Laddie Cook and Hariamai Cook(nee Mehana) i am trying to find whanu who are descendants of Alfonso

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 August, 2006 11:46 am
Nga Hau e Wha OWC
(@nga-hau-e-wha-owc)

Please remind me which family line for Alfonso?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 August, 2006 10:09 pm
KiwiSun OWC
(@kiwisun-owc)

Kia ora, I'm reserching the travels of my ancestor Karipa TeWaiti, could anyone please advise the location of Paua Cemetery, I found it on this site but unable to locate the physical address. ... Thanks Aubrey

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 August, 2006 11:13 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora KiwiSun,

The Paua Cemetery is in Paua, which is about 10ks north of Te Kao and about 10 ks south of Waitiki Landing.

And the name of the road? Paua Road

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 August, 2006 2:41 pm
tehQ OWC
(@tehq-owc)

Hi there

I've managed to track down a lot of information regarding Marcellus Cook's marriages to Hilda Strongman and Mary Mahanga Otene.

For the info I've got (which is incomplete and possibly inaccurate):

Marcellus married Hilda Strongman and had two children, Alphonsa and Christina.

Alphonsa married Tilda (??)
Madge Bennet, Kenneth (Rooster) Ashton, Dawn

Christina married Te Waha Waha
Marcellus (Cookie) Aroha (Mate) Johnny, Stella Isaac, Maraea

regarding the above, that's how the list was given to me and I'm not sure where the commas go to separate the children. Hopefully someone may be able to clear it up.

As far as the native American goes, Marcellus Cook belonged to the Wampanoag tribe from Martha's Vineyard in Massachusetts.

Edited by - tehQ on Nov 13 2006 12:12:01 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 November, 2006 12:07 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: