Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Ngati Kiore Kino Hapu  

RSS
Deahne Coulter OWC
(@deahne-coulter-owc)

I am looking for information about my hapū...Ngāti Kiore Kino. Is there anyone who may have direction for me. I am researching my hapū in line with the requirements for the Iwi and Hapū Studies papers that I am doing. Any assistance would be sincerely appreciated. Kia ora.

Posted : 20 March, 2005 10:23 pm
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Tena Koe Deahne

Are you able to provide any other information, such as the area, whanau names?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 March, 2005 12:22 am
ddblue
(@ddblue)

Have you tried to translate the meaning of your hapu?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 March, 2005 1:06 am
bushgal01 OWC
(@bushgal01-owc)

Kia ora Dehane
I will put you on to someone that will know a bit of information about Kiore Kino. Post me a private message and I will give you my email.

Kia ora ddblue
It is obvious what Kiore Kino means, literal translation...bad rat. But what has that got to do with finding out info about this hapu?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 October, 2005 10:56 pm
bushgal01 OWC
(@bushgal01-owc)

Kia ora Dehane
I will put you on to someone that will know a bit of information about Kiore Kino. Post me a private message and I will give you my email.

Kia ora ddblue
It is obvious what Kiore Kino means, literal translation...bad rat. But what has that got to do with finding out info about this hapu? For your information, most hapu are named after the person who created it. And there may have been something that happened to that tupuna that involved a rat??? Who knows but it does not necessarely mean the name comes from him or them being bad rats.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 October, 2005 11:04 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

yea i tautoko wat bushgal sed,wat the hapu means does not matter.my hapu in tuhoe is ngati kuri and that dont make me a dog!my tipuna kuri was named so because when he performed the haka he lost control and looked like a rabid dog which is something that the uri of ngati kuri can feel proud of.

if you take a direct translation of a name then u get a meaning but if u understand why that name was used then you get an understanding.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 October, 2005 12:49 pm
Kaye-Kaye OWC
(@kaye-kaye-owc)

Have you quite possibly meant Ngati Koura Kino as in the tupuna Koura Kino from the ancestor Tuhoe?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 December, 2005 12:12 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

that true, they from ruatoki ne?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 December, 2005 2:42 pm
Kaye-Kaye OWC
(@kaye-kaye-owc)

Aue Arohamai!

Sorry about the late reply but I had spoken to my whanaunga about this name and she said Ae Kiore kino the people who ate the Kiore!
But they were not just any ole kiore they were certain type White and able to be eaten because they only ate of the clean food not bad as in humans, they were clever and were used to expell bad omens. She never said where from but the fact that they lived in the Uruwera bush and had to move around during the time of the land wars and said that they dispersed themselves in amongst the neighbouring tribes. This is probably not written as in most cases but was passed to her by her grandparents who whakapapa to my side through the Biddle whanau.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 February, 2006 9:09 pm
Deahne Coulter OWC
(@deahne-coulter-owc)

Kia ora koutou for your help and support. I haven't been on here for ages...but it is nice to see people out there care.
I have decided to try and redirect my focus along another branch...Te Tawera. I would welcome any kōrero...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 June, 2006 2:31 pm
ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC
(@ngati_kurihotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

Hearty Nati I have never heard this Ngati Kuri (Tuhoe origin) story before. Can you give me more nackground? For me as a Ngati Kuri one needs to feel they link with their past as well as have a share in their future. Always interested in learning something new... everyday

quote:

yea i tautoko wat bushgal sed,wat the hapu means does not matter.my hapu in tuhoe is ngati kuri and that dont make me a dog!my tipuna kuri was named so because when he performed the haka he lost control and looked like a rabid dog which is something that the uri of ngati kuri can feel proud of.

if you take a direct translation of a name then u get a meaning but if u understand why that name was used then you get an understanding.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 July, 2006 12:51 am
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

aroha mai ra mo te tureititanga e ngati_kuri...nei ano he ngati kuri.

um well what can i say lol...ngati kuri is the my tuhoe hapu from ruatahuna...from te waiiti marae just out of the main town

our tipuna kurikino was of nga potiki descent...um nga potiki are an iwi from WAY WAY back in te waonui a te urewera...the korero goes that hinepukohurangi came from the heavens and wandered around aotearoa and found te maunga who some say is maungapohatu.ka moe raua ka puta ki waho ra ko potiki.na potiki te iwi kua kiia nei a nga potiki,who lived in the heart of the bush at ruatahuna.

i dont want to write the whakapapa here because ive got ALOT of angry messages mai etahi e whakahe ana i te whakaatu whakapapa i konei...heoi ano ra,from this line comes pouteaniwaniwa who had two sons: te rangimonoa and te aotawhena.te rangimonoa left ruatahuna and lived along the ohinemataroa river near ruatoki.katahi ano nei ka whakatuwherahia he marae i reira mo ona uri,kua tapaina te poho o te rangimonoa.

kurikino is te aotawhena's grandson (i think). his uri married with later descendants of tuhoepotiki to create the hapu around ruatahuna.this is alike with most of the hapu in tuhoe,the eponymous ancestor was not descended of tuhoe...hell most of them lived a few centuries bfore him...but through intermarriage with his uri comes the unifying mana from tuhoe...ano nei no mataatua hai whakamaherehere i te tatai no tena no tena.

manakohia nei ka whakamahea nei ou whakaaro e hoa.mai i tenei peka no ngati kuri ki tera muka o ngati kuri.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 August, 2006 8:10 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

thea IS a ngati kiorekino hapu,a part of ngati pukenga of tauranga moana.

e ai ki nga korero kua utaina mai nei:

toroa
wairaka
tamateakitehuatahi
tanemoeahi
?
pukenga
kiorekino

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 August, 2006 1:10 pm
ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC
(@ngati_kurihotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora Nati forgive my ignorance on this Ngati Kuri tribe.

Are they related at all to the Far North Ngati Kuri (which is named after the kuri from the sea (the seal)?

Or named because of this particular event you related above? ...my hapu in tuhoe is ngati kuri and that dont make me a dog! my tipuna kuri was named so because when he performed the haka he lost control and looked like a rabid dog which is something that the uri of ngati kuri can feel proud of.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 August, 2006 1:46 pm
Share: