Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Ngati Kuri Tupuna?  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
MonkeyWrench OWC
(@monkeywrench-owc)

Just wondering who is the main Ngati Kuri Tupuna that Ngati Kuri come from so that a person can say categorically that they are Ngati Kuri (from north)?

Some of our whanau are now saying that we are Ngati Kuri - never heard that as a child - so am looking for the definitive tupuna.

In other words, giving me a name of a tupuna that other iwi also descend from will not help to settle our whanau debate which is why I would like the definitive tupuna! With that info we can settle the debate one way or the other through whakapapa if we are Ngati Kuri or not.

Posted : 02 July, 2007 2:50 am
Upokoruru OWC
(@upokoruru-owc)

...........but what Ngati Kuri are you referring to here?
I know two Ngati Kuri-1)from Nga-Puhi way
2)and one of the major hapu of Kai Tahu in Te Wahipounamu.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 July, 2007 5:22 pm
Muriwhenua OWC
(@muriwhenua-owc)

The name Ngati Kuri or more specifically the tribe known today as Ngati Kuri link directly back to Pohurihanga (Ngati Kaharoa) of the kurahaupo waka which first landed at Takapaukura (a bay close to the North Cape to the right and Capo Wairua & Te Rerenga on Nga Wairua to the left). Te Ngake (Ngaki)is the name of the tribe living here. This area of the awa Waitononi was named Waitangi (the first one) as the Kurahaupo hit a rock as it came ashore. some say that this is the resting place of the Kurahaupo, others say it again was mended to travel further around the motu. The Kurahaupo had already arrived damaged to the kermadecs and most of its people continued their journey to the land in the south on other waka e.g. the Aotea.
- MURIWHENUA -
"this is the end of the land"
(as spoken by PO'HURIHANGA (Te Kaha) when he landed the canoe KURAHAUPO at TAKAPAKURA Bay Far North).
The AHIKAA (home fires) of TE NGAKE were a guide into the shore.

Later Po' & Maieke (Chieftainess of Te Ngake had sons, Taiko, Toroa, Whatakaimarie & a daughter Muriwhenua.
The Far North territory of Muriwhenua forms the tail of Māui’s fabled fish, including the northernmost tip of
NZ – Te Rerenga o nga Wairua (leaping spirits) & Murimotu.
Muriwhenua married Rongokako.

Rich in such legends, the history is also one of ancestral lands
taken by the Government & reclaimed by the people .

Ngati Kuri
(kaitiaki - guardians of the Far North)
Te Aupouri
Ngaitakoto
Ngati Kahu
Te Patu
&
Te Rarawa

Within these are over 35
Nga Hapu Whanau o Muriwhenua:
Ngati Wairoa, Ngati MuriKahara, Ringamaui, Poho-Tiare, Mahoe, Ngati Kuri ki Ngataki, Whakakohatu, Ngati Rua, Te Hoia, Ngati Haua... etc

Each Hapu has a Rangatira, Maunga, Awa/Moana, Waahapu, Pae Kainga,
Marae & Urupa

Te Hei Mauriora
http://groups.google.com/group/muriwhenua

See also whakaro in this topic for discussion:

http://www.maori.org.nz/papa_panui/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3710&FORUM_ID=33&CAT_ID=4&Topic_Title=%246%2E5m+%26+%247%2E5m+revamp+announced+by+the+Crown+for+Cape+Reinga+%28Te+Rereng&Forum_Title=Current+Events

if link doesn't work try www.maori.org.nz then click on forums (notices), current events, $6.5m & $7.5m revamp for Cape Reinga (Te Rerenga o nga Wairua),

and webpage:

www.ngatikuri.tk

I do hold whakapapa relating some Rangatira of Ngati Kuri. How ever it would be good for you to communicate back to me by private message/email with a specific tupuna you feel has links to the tribe of Ngati Kuri. Ngati Kuri does whanaungatanga to Nga Puhi ki tonu. As to the other subtribes (hapu) that carry the name Ngati Kuri in Ngataki, Pawarenga, Kaikoura etc, I have heard there are 5 areas that have a people that are called Ngati Kuri. However it is the Kuia and Kaumatua of Ngati Kuri in the Far North that are called whenever koiwi is to be returned from within the motu, to bring their koiwi back to their turangawaewae.

There is also a map that shows the names of the 5 main tribes of Muriwhenua and the other surrounding tribes. As well as one with all the waka landings that show where they landed in the far north before they continued southward to settle in other parts of the motu. I have tried to post them pics here without succesa but will try again.

IMG] [/IMG]

[IMG] [/IMG]

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 July, 2007 7:02 am
Muriwhenua OWC
(@muriwhenua-owc)

HUI
Te Ao Marama { The New Beginning}
Venue: Te Reo Mihi Marae, Te Hapua
Date: Friday 20th July – Sunday 22nd July, 2007
Powhiri: 6.00pm, Friday 20th July
Guest Speakers: Neville Poata Ahu Waka Revisiting 2005 Ahu Waka
Sean Thompson & Paul Lenoel Repartriation of whale bones
Aaron Clarke , Harry Clarke & Hori Parata Tohora
Teri Stout Mirimiri
Kaupapa
Speaker Session Time
FRIDAY
Powhiri
Hakari Friday 6.00pm-8.00pm
Ahu Waka
Neville Poata Friday 8.00pm-???????

SATURDAY
BREAKFAST Saturday 7.30am-8.30am
Korero O Nga Kaumatua Kuia O Muriwhenua
Saturday 9.00am-12.pm
LUNCH TIME 12.pm – 1.pm
Tohora Hori Parata
Aaron Clarke
Harry Clarke
Saturday 1.30pm-3.30pm
WAI 262 Marlena Uruamoa Saturday 4.pm – 5.30pm
DINNER 6.pm – 7.pm
Repartriation of Whale Bones Sean Thompson
Paul Lenoel 7.30pm - ????
Kaupapa Speaker Session Time

SUNDAY
Matariki / Whetu Marama Paul Lenoel 5.am
BREAKFAST 8.am – 9.am
Assessment of Hui 10am-11am
Hakari 12pm – 1pm
Poroporoaki 1.30 pm

For further information
Phone: 09 409 7548
Email: p.moses@xtra.co.nz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 July, 2007 7:38 pm
Nga Hau e Wha OWC
(@nga-hau-e-wha-owc)

Te Rau Karora, Rerewi Hongi, Tipene Whakaruru, Natana Paneere, Raharui, Te Ngara, Paraone, Tame Porena, Mokohorea, Rameka Mita are all Rangatira who are recognised to hapu whanau back to Ngati Kuri ki Muriwhenua from around the time Pakeha decided Maori needed to have written paperwork to prove they knew where they lived and their tribal boundaries. We could laugh about Pakeha ways when they decide to infiltrate and administer another lands, if it wasn't so tragic.

For example two of the Rangatira had sad ends... both in 1840 just before the signing of the Treaty.

(1) Te Rau (the last fighting chief) now an old man, was forcibly removed off his tupuna Maunga Tohu Reo and dumped at Waitiki Landing soon after Te Rarawa Chief and Anglican baptised Panakareo brought Anglican Rev Richard Taylor up to the Far North and claimed 66,000 acres in the name of the Anglican Church.

(2) Rerewi Hongi came down off the pa on Maunga Piko, met Panakareo & Rev Taylor on the Spirit's Bay Road and when told that the Pakeha was coming to claim (protect) all the lands defined by Panakareo's one outstretched arm to the other and Hongi turned and walked away, he was shot in the back...

Edited by - Nga Hau e Wha on Aug 03 2007 11:51:33 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 August, 2007 10:41 am
Nga Hau e Wha OWC
(@nga-hau-e-wha-owc)

refer posting in the Maori.org.nz forum Current Events
Govt to spend $14.5m on Visitors Centre & road at Cape Reinga (Te Rerenga o Nga Wairua)

In 2007 these same 66,000 acres from the one side of the tail, Te Rerenga o Nga Wairua (aka Cape Reinga), to the other side of the tail, Murimotu (aka North Cape)is still called Taylor's Grant. Since the signing of the Treaty this land was leased to Samuel Yates until his death and then the Keene Family. All these lands are now Govt administered by Dept of Conservation (Doc)with pockets administered by Muriwhenua Inc. The Ngati Kuri are not 'free' to live, plant, harvest or hunt on their tupuna lands for 167 years (nearly 6 generations). There are DoCs locked fences that bar access to Ngati Kuri turangawaewae.

Now DoCs, Enterprise Northland and the Crown will place a Tourist Centre & tarseal the last 20kms of the road to the Cape to encourage more tourists (currently 120,000 hoping for an extra 80,000 to make it 200,000) to come on the tour buses up 90 mile Beach. Tourists won't have to see the little pockets of Maori settlements in the Far North with their old homemade houses or 60 year old Native Affairs built homes, long drop toilets, unsealed roads, with the nearest supermarket from the furtherest settlement in Te Hapua being 110kms away in Kaitaia.

Maybe DoC's, Enterprise Northland & the Crown are shortsighted and do not realise this venture is like speaking with 'forked tongue'. To consider the travellers to the area foremost, not those that live in the north and also the spiritual significance of the area for ALL Maori, it is just some planner's 'good idea' on paper which will not transfer well in reality. Even sadder is our people (reps for Ngati Kuri & Te Aupouri) meeting with these reps have been overwhelmed with the hard sell spiel and the 'tripe' that this development will be good for the north (read... for your people) and support this plan!

Who will be employed for the construction (obviously there are no local construction firms, so outside tenders with skilled labour), who will work in the Tourist Centre (again suitably educated skilled staff). If there are no shops in the north how would the middle aged or school leavers have the skills? Whilst northern children can attend local Primary Schools but they need to travel to 110kms each way each day for School. If they manage to complete High School, the closest jobs are also in Kaitaia. There chances for employment are nil if they remain at home and the reality is separation from their homes and families. The only local employment is manual (on oyster farms or fishing boats)or being employed by DoCs. This smacks of the age old strategy of 'divide & conquer' again!!

No wonder... it is difficult to get families to return to come home, live and support the communities of their tupuna and build up the morale and maintain the maraes and urupa's and Maori Tikanga in general.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 August, 2007 11:56 am
ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC
(@ngati_kurihotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora been awhile since i find a moment to go through the posts. Great to see there are so many topics of note. Nice to see the replies. Hope Moneywrench comes back to fill in the gaps. I wonder would all the tribes known as Ngati Kuri ever organise a get together and where?

I am sure it is not usual... that there are many tribes around the motu who carry the same name and can trace their links back to the paramount tribe still carrying the same name.

1. So who thinks Kuri relates to the fishing nets made out of seal skins used to patch up Po's waka after Kurahaupo sailed from the Kermadecs to Aotearoa? Seals are also known as 'sea dogs' because of their bark...

2. Named after the dogs sacrificed at Motu whangai kuri by the grandson of Ihupatera

3. Wairupe named the tribe after her husband Kuri after his death.

4. Kaikoura Ngati Kuri so named after Te Rau Karora came to the South Island and after a great battle some warriors stayed behind and the South Island Chief's daughter Kataraina returned to the Far North with Te Rau.

5. The Ngati Kuri were well known for wearing their prized cloaks made out of dog skins.

Any other stories most welcome to be added.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 August, 2007 12:43 pm
ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC
(@ngati_kurihotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

Hello Monkeywrench where are you??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 August, 2007 11:32 pm
MonkeyWrench OWC
(@monkeywrench-owc)

Where am I? In an aboriginal community about 2 hours out of Alice Springs, but on a computer at this very mo!

to: Upokoruru - I meant the north one.

Yep, my whakapapa does come from Pohurihanga and Maieke and runs through all of the kids listed.

Then also runs from Ruanaui and through all of his kids

And direct through 2 of the names Nga Hau e Wha mentions and indirect (ie: come through the brother of one of the other names)

As for where the name comes from, I thought Ngati was descendants of so Ngati Kuri were the descendants of Kuri which is why I asked the question in the first place as our lines don't run direct through the person Kuri!

Maybe should create new iwi called Ngati (then the names of those tupuna Nga Hau e Wha mentioned cos then I can definitly say I am from there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 September, 2007 1:03 am
Nga Hau e Wha OWC
(@nga-hau-e-wha-owc)

Monkeywrench after your korero, it sounds as if you know what you need to do... decide are you tuturu Te Aupouri or Ngati Kuri.

What were you told 'you were' before you became aware of the NK or not to be NK debate?

Identifying with your tupuna and bringing the line down to you will affect where your turangawaewae is.

Ngati Kuri kaitiaki and Ahikaa to the Far Far north or...

Te Aupouri (previously Ruanui from Whirinaki Pawarenga Hokianga) tupuna Te Ikanui, Wheeru & the brother Kati? (who has no defined offspring and was later castrated for acts on married womem. ) burnt Makora Pa approx 169 years ago and escaped to the Far far north from Te Rarawa. The conflict between Te Rarawa & Te Aupouri is well documented.

If you read the posts on:

http://www.maori.org.nz/papa_panui/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3710&FORUM_ID=33&CAT_ID=4&Topic_Title=%246%2E5m+%26+%247%2E5m+revamp+announced+by+the+Crown+for+Cape+Reinga+%28Te+Rereng&Forum_Title=Current+Events

re: what some Ngati Kuri and Te Aupouri have been up to...

You need to decide which is your paramount tribe. You must whakapapa more to one or... the other.

Who do your immediate people identify with, in their pepeha?

We can all say we are descendants of Muriwhenua, however it is where is our turangawaewae that defines where our bones are from and which urupa we will be laid the rest in.

Edited by - Nga Hau e Wha on Sep 01 2007 05:14:30 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 September, 2007 5:08 am
Ngati Tu OWC
(@ngati-tu-owc)

Kia ora Hau e wha,
can you explain further castrated for acts on married woman....interested in topic as I also whakapapa to Ngati Kuri...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 September, 2007 6:28 am
Purerehua OWC
(@purerehua-owc)

quote:

(2) Rerewi Hongi came down off the pa on Maunga Piko, met Panakareo & Rev Taylor on the Spirit's Bay Road and when told that the Pakeha was coming to claim (protect) all the lands defined by Panakareo's one outstretched arm to the other and Hongi turned and walked away, he was shot in the back...

Kia Ora Nga Hau e Wha
Could you please provide source (written or otherwise) of the above information please?

Edited by - Nga Hau e Wha on Aug 03 2007 11:51:33 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 September, 2007 6:38 am
MonkeyWrench OWC
(@monkeywrench-owc)

Kia ora Nga Hau e wha,

Yep, that is why I asked - my grandparests stones say Te Aupouri and the uncles have said Te Aupouri until about 10 years ago when they said Ngati Kuri. When I asked them about the "change" they said that they had been brought up with Te Aupouri and always told that by their parents and grandparents and had only recently learnt (when they were in their 70s) that we were Ngati Kuri. When I asked them how, they couldn't really tell me so after finding this place and seeing that there were Ngati Kuri I thought maybe I could get an idea of a "how" ....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 September, 2007 1:50 am
Nga Hau e Wha OWC
(@nga-hau-e-wha-owc)

quote:

Kia ora Hau e wha,
can you explain further castrated for acts on married woman....interested in topic as I also whakapapa to Ngati Kuri...

Kia ora must go through my papers and get the man's correct name. When the warriors around the whenua o Ngaitakoto were off at war they returned and many of their women were hapu... They named the same man from memory the man had an impediment (was it a club foot)and that is why he did not go into battle... do you have whanau from this area? You can ask if any of them have this type of ailment in their family.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 September, 2007 3:17 am
Nga Hau e Wha OWC
(@nga-hau-e-wha-owc)

quote:

If you can source out Ngati kuri kaumatua you can hear the story first hand...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 September, 2007 3:22 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: