Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Ngati MAKIRANGI, Waikato:  

RSS
teeta OWC
(@teeta-owc)

Kia ora,
Could anyone please tell me where Ngati MAKIRANGI Iwi/Hapu/Marae would be located.

Posted : 28 October, 2005 12:53 pm
ngatiwilson OWC
(@ngatiwilson-owc)

Kia Ora Teeta,
Ngati Makirangi is a hapu geographically located in the north eastern Waikato area, they are the only Waikato hapu without their own marae. There are a few well known papakainga namely Mangatea, Orini, Matahuru, Mangapiko Valley but mostly whanau revert to using Waiti and Hukanui when in need of a marae. Try contacting Hakaboy on this site as he works for Tainui and may also be able to help you. Personally I am researching one particular line that of Taramaiwhatu Matiaha but am happy to share info when I can.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 November, 2005 10:29 pm
sheree_tm OWC
(@sheree_tm-owc)

quote:

Kia ora,
Could anyone please tell me where Ngati MAKIRANGI Iwi/Hapu/Marae would be located.

Kia Ora Teeta
Ko Taupiri Te Maunga
Ko Waikato Te Awa
Ko Tainui Te Waka
Ko Potatau Te Wherowhero Te Tangata
Ko Ngatiwhawhakia Raua Ko Ngati Paoa Te Hapu
Ko Kaitumutumu Raua Ko Waitii Te Marae
Ko Ngati Makirangi Te Hapu
Ko Te Hoe O Tainui Te Marae
Ko Douglas Te Momo Raua Ko Daisy Waikato Nga Matua Tipuna
Ko Rata Te Momo Raua Ko Ruth Blockley nga Maatua
Ko Sheree Te Momo tuko ingoa

My nana's mum whanau are the Timoti's (Timothy's) and they are Ngati Makirangi from Te Hoe O Tainui not far from Waitii.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 March, 2007 5:36 am
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora teeta

Yes the above postings are correct. My marae is matahuru as per my username.

Ngati Makirangi boundary lines tradionally go from Hoe-o-Tainui, inland along the Hapuakohe ranges through to Pukewhau. From there the boundary divides lake Waikare in half and continues to the Waikato River. From the river it heads south to Taupiri mountain and takes a left at the Mangawara Stream. From there it returns via the Piako stream right back to Te- Hoe-o-Tainui.

Kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 March, 2007 9:31 am
sheree_tm OWC
(@sheree_tm-owc)

quote:

Kia ora teeta

Yes the above postings are correct. My marae is matahuru as per my username.

Ngati Makirangi boundary lines tradionally go from Hoe-o-Tainui, inland along the Hapuakohe ranges through to Pukewhau. From there the boundary divides lake Waikare in half and continues to the Waikato River. From the river it heads south to Taupiri mountain and takes a left at the Mangawara Stream. From there it returns via the Piako stream right back to Te- Hoe-o-Tainui.

Kia ora

Kia Ora Matahuru
Do you know the whereabouts of Te Hoe O Tainui cemetery amd Marae and how far away from Waitii. My grandparents are buried at Waitii and I know where that is. My nana mum Rangiwauwau Waikato (nee Timothy) is at Te Hoe but I am not sure the whereabouts as alot of my whanau have not been there for a long time and do not remember where it is.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 March, 2007 10:10 pm
Share: