Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

NGATI PAOA  

RSS
kotare OWC
(@kotare-owc)

Ngati Paoa
Was Wiremu Hoete of Ngati Paoa? Id be interested to hear from you all. Or was he Ngati Maru? Or are both tribes the same? And are they both sub tribes of Taninui?
from Kotare

Posted : 27 February, 2007 5:17 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Ngati Paoa and Ngati Maru are both distinct iwi. Both (with other iwi) form a confederation consisting of Marutuahu's descendants. This confederation in turn, with all of its iwi, form a part of the confederation of tribes known as Tainui but they are not subtribes in any sense at all.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 February, 2007 7:42 pm
kotare OWC
(@kotare-owc)

Thanks for your reply Tane, I have still lots to learn. Do you know of Wiremu Hoete and if he was Ngati Paoa or Ngati Maru?
Regards, Kotare

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 February, 2007 3:26 pm
hohepa OWC
(@hohepa-owc)

quote:

Tena tatou - i saw your panui, I have come across a wiremu hoete that is connected to ngati paoa during private research. I may have some info or sources that might be useful...email me so we can learn more together, post as well so i know you've seen my post

Ko toku tupuna ko wiremu hoete tona ingoa, no ngati paoa ia

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 April, 2007 3:09 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Kia ora hohepa,

i tenei wa, e whakapakehatia haeretia ana e au ngetehi o ngana reta ki a Kerei.

Ki te hiahia koe he kape mau, tukua mai koa he panuitanga tumataititanga ki a au. Send me a private message. Tapirihia mai hoki to tauwahi (address).

Edited by - tane_ariki on Apr 06 2007 3:34:50 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 April, 2007 3:31 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

And yes, he is from Ngati Paoa.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 April, 2007 3:33 pm
kotare OWC
(@kotare-owc)

Thanks for your post hohepa, I have sent you a private email, so hope you get it ok. My email address is storrar@orcon.net.nz. Look forward to your response. Cheers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 April, 2007 9:48 am
Share: