Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

NGATI POROU LEGENDS- HELP  

RSS
Sherz OWC
(@sherz-owc)

Kia ora koutou my cuzzy is in need of help. Can anyone out there read this and help us with our little dilema. In particulary the Legend.

I need a theme for my tat - something preferably related to Ngati Porou tribe, a legend, a particular design, colour, that symbolies our tribe.

Do you know of the legend behind, the mountain ranges, they are on the
left as you are driving south out of gizzy, the ones that lead into the beaches, before you hit the main ranges out of gizzy. The mountain is shaped in the form of a dog, lying down resting, legend has it that some a Maori warrior, came and went, but left his dog behind to keep watch until he returned.

Do you know of this legend, or where/link specifically I might be able
to find out more about this legends, or those applying to our tribe.

Email your response to :

skorau@linz.co.nz

Edited by - Sherz on May 11 2005 4:47:59 PM

Posted : 11 May, 2005 1:48 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Tena koe

[url="http://www.maori.org.nz/hokohoko/dirSub.asp?catid=10&subid=107"]Here[/url] is a link to a book called Nga korero a Mohi Ruatapu, tohunga rongonui o Ngati Porou which may have what you are looking for.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 May, 2005 12:54 pm
Alicia OWC
(@alicia-owc)

The Mountains as you are leaving Gizzy are called Te Kuri a Paoa, the tipuna was Paoa.

Edited by - Alicia on May 20 2005 11:46:59 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 May, 2005 11:45 am
Sherz OWC
(@sherz-owc)

Kia Ora Alicia.

Nga mihi nunui mo to awhina me tenei kaupapa.

I was beginning to wonder. Both you and Poutokomanawa have been most helpful in my quest to find out.

It should be very interesting to now watch how my cuzzies tattoo will unfold.

Once again Cheers from Sherz! and much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 May, 2005 3:28 pm
Lana1 OWC
(@lana1-owc)

Kia ora, I'm not totally sure, but I don't think Te Kuri a Paoa is a part of Ngati Porou. The area you are referring to (south of Gisborne) belongs to the iwi of Rongowhakaata or Ngati Tamanuhiri. I'm not exactly sure which one though sorry.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 September, 2005 1:16 am
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Kia ora, I kinda have to agree with Lana1, I believe Ngati Porou boundary stretches from Potaka all the way across to the Gizzy brigde, thats what weve been taught growing up. The iwi ana hapu further south of there are also Rongomaiwahine and Ngati Kahungunu.

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 October, 2005 3:20 am
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

Ehara ra! Lana1 is correct, Te Kuri a Paoa lies in the rohe of Ngai Ta-Manuhiri. The area of Ngati Porou is from Potikirua near East Cape to Te Toka a Taiau which used to be at the mouth of the Turanga river but is lost now.

Rongowhakaata rohe is to the north and west of this and at the mouth of the Waipaoa awa to its source in the Raukumara mountains is the rohe of Te Aitanga a Mahaki.

Ngai Ta-Manuhiri rohe starts at Te Kuri a Paoa and extends down the coast to Paritu near Mahia from which it becomes the rohe of Rongomaiwahine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 October, 2005 12:07 am
Share: