Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

NGATI POROU WHAKAPAPA  

Page 1 / 12
  RSS
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

-

Edited by - hearty nati on Jun 27 2007 9:25:44 PM

Posted : 01 November, 2005 8:04 pm
artecwoman OWC
(@artecwoman-owc)

Kia Ora koe hearty nati

I have a panui on searching for tupuna and I have been searching
for many years for my dad's whanau from Te Araroa well that is what
I have been told anyway and my dad's whanau is the Kahaki whanau
my grand dad was Anaru and my grandma was Materoa and she was a Kamera
myself and my siblings never ever got to meet any of my dads siblings or Parents or for that matter none of his cousins so I am very lost cause I know that out there some where I have first cousins and mokopuna's that I would dearly love to embrace them with heaps of hugs. My dad's name was Ato Te Urikore Kahaki and I was told that one of his marae's was Hinerupe whether that is true I dont know so any info will be greatfully appreciated.

naku noa na Inu

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 November, 2005 9:03 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

kia kare

ill do a bit of ringing around and post something by the end of today or tomorrow ok?

the kahaki whanau is found right through the coast but ill start at te araroa and work my way down.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 November, 2005 7:47 am
TuwharetoaKiKawerau OWC
(@tuwharetoakikawerau-owc)

Tena Koe Hearty

ive just familiarised myself with my whakapapa no kona, but i cant really remember much about that place. and my patai is... there is a marae at the end of the road at te araroa.. on your way to that look out thingee.. its on the right along the dirt road..
so if you could tell me bout that marae, and maybe bout the rohe and tikitiki i will be very thankful.

Kia ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 November, 2005 9:22 pm
nikswatene OWC
(@nikswatene-owc)

Hi there I'm actually doing this on behalf of my husband who is a Wanoa from Ruatoria and who's mother is Ada Mahuika youngest daughter of Nepia Mahuika (eldest brother to Api Mahuika). Would you have much info on either family?
thanks

Nicola Wanoa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 November, 2005 11:39 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

i know that they are from around the wiapu river valley,mainly around ruatoria and tikitiki but no,unfortunately i dont know much.

however get in touch with uncle api,he would probably have a whakapapa there.i dont know his number but the number for ngati porou runanga where you can get it from is 06 8649004

hope that was a bit of an awhina

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 November, 2005 3:45 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

if anyone wants stories,pepeha,whakatauki and whakatauaki from the coast or knows sum,come and share,whanau kootahi taatou

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 November, 2005 3:48 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Tena koe hearty Ngati,
I wondered if you had a story about Ruatepupuke??

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 November, 2005 10:48 pm
epimoa OWC
(@epimoa-owc)

Hello Hearty Ngati 😉
I'm wondering if you may be able to help with the following query.

I have been given, after several pass-me-on a copy of a wakapapa drawn up for a second or third uncle around 1940 by a person named Ariana TUATI. The chart descends down to about the middle of 19th century.
I am hoping that someone may be able to tell me who Ariana TUATI was.
thank-you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 November, 2005 3:57 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

sorry people ive been really slack lately but ive been studyin hard for my exams, hope they go well!!

um ruataepupuke was the father of ruapani who was a major ancestor of the east coast, especially around the turanga region but his descendants are now found at waikaremoana and waikareiti.he was the high ariki of turanga due to his descent from the ariki lines of horouta waka. his descendants heavily intermarried with ngati kahungunu, te aitanga a mahaki and rongowhakaata.

the following is the whakapapa from paoa and kiwa of horouta to ruapani:

paoa(captain of horouta) kiwa(tohunga of horouta)
hineakaua = kahutuanui
haua
aniukitaharangi
ngoreoterangi
ueroa
tahungaehenui
ruatepupuke
ruapani
ruarauhanga = kahungunu

there is another ruatepupuke who is aid to be responsible for carving. the story goes that ruatepupuke (not the same one as above) was living at uawa on the east coast.his son was taken by tangaroa to his house tonganui beneath the sea.ruatepupuke swam down and took hi son back and stole a tekoteko from atop of tangaroas house which he copied and is the source of carving on the east coast.ruatepupuke's son married into ngati ira of the region who became te aitanga a hauiti, te whanau a apanui and some hapu of ngati porou

tena koe epimoa, can u tell me anything about where ur tipuna came from or what hapu they belonged to?that would make it alot easier but my intial reaction is around uawa (tolaga bay)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2005 3:04 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

kahutuanui was kiwas son

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2005 3:05 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

i dont know that korero about ruatepupuke well so ill ask my uncle later next week and get a better more in depth version okay edwards.jacqueline?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2005 3:14 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Tena koe Hearty Ngati,
Im just working on some local pūrākau for my three year old baby, nē, its all in the history. Thank you very much.

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2005 5:45 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

no thank you for waiting this long!

if u can wait a little longer ill get the whole story for u okay kare

ma te wa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 November, 2005 5:51 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

theas also the story of mataora who got moko from ruaumoko...interested?

mataora was a man and lived in hawaiki.one day he was in the forest and he saw a beautiful wahine named niwareka walk past so he followed her and she went into a cave.he caught up with her and they fell in love and she lived with him.

one day he got so angry that he hit her.she cried and fled back to the cave,mataora chased after her and found that the cave was actually a tunnel which led to the underworld raraohenga.

mataora went below and saw niwareka next to her father uetonga.uetonga was a mokopuna of ruaumoko who had the first moko which was made by the seperation of rangi and papa.tane stood on papas belly and pushed down on ruaumoko which caused him to scram and shake below, causing earthquakes.the pain was etched forever on his face as moko.

uetonga was tattooing a man with the uhi and mataora said to him, 'thats not how moko is done!' mataora had a moko, but his was painted on while the one uetonga was giving was carved onto the face.

uetonga laughed and wiped mataoras drawings off which is where the lines above the eyes (tiwhana) and the lines around the mouth originate from.

mataora then touched uetongas and it was carved into his living flesh.mataora then apologised to niwareka and he was given a true moko.

niwareka and mataora returned to the living world and niwareka bought with her a korowai which is how weaving was brought to men.

tanepepeke
taneuaha
taneuatika
tanematua
rongomai
maku
matanui
mataora = niwareka
rongoitua
hoake
tumutumu
nehunehu