Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Ngati Rangi  

RSS
Purerehua OWC
(@purerehua-owc)

Kia Ora Koutou,
Could someone help me with this query please. As I understand it Ngati Rangi is a hapu of Nga Puhi. I see that Ngati Rangi is also in other areas, i.e. Tuwharetoa, Wairoa/Nuhaka area. Can someone give me a general idea of why this is so. Are they one in the same iwi just in different rohe or are they separate iwi altogether?

Tena ano koutou.

Posted : 25 October, 2005 9:01 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

yes,the name ngati rangi is wide spread but not because it is the same iwi/hapu right throughout the country.

for instance,in ngapuhi there is the hapu ngati rangi who are descended of rangiheketini.in rangitane there is another hapu called ngati rangi but they descend from rangiwhakaewa.and on the coast there is a hapu called ngati rangi descended from ...well i dont actually know!

the point is that many tipuna across aotearoa were named rangi and their descendants often took the name ngati or ngai te rangi.to differentiate themselves,they may be referred to by their full tipuna name, such as ngati rangiheketini, ngati rangiwhakaewa or ngai te rangihouhiri.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 October, 2005 8:28 pm
Purerehua OWC
(@purerehua-owc)

Kia Ora,
Thanks for the explanation. That makes a lot of sense.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 October, 2005 2:07 pm
Tui33 OWC
(@tui33-owc)

Kiaora,
I have a query about Ngati Rangi, I am trying to find out some information about Ngati Rangi in the Whanganui area. Where did the Ngati Rangi from that area originate from? Also does anyone know where I could find more info on Ngati Rangi?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 April, 2007 3:06 pm
maniapoto_jack OWC
(@maniapoto_jack-owc)

Kiaora are you talking about the Ngati Rangi situated in the Ohakune district. They have close ties to Wanganui tribes although i dont no there origins. There main marae Maungarongo is in Ohakune thats all i no

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 April, 2007 4:26 pm
Tui33 OWC
(@tui33-owc)

Yes I'm referring to the Ohakuni district and someone told me that Ngati Rangi is from the Waiouru area as well, do you know if this is true?
Thanks for your help so far. I'm looking for legends from the Whanganui area would anyone know about that as well?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 April, 2007 4:22 pm
Purerehua OWC
(@purerehua-owc)

Kia Ora,
Yes I have heard of Ngati Rangi in the Ohakune area too - though not sure about Wanganui. Would love to know if there is any common link(??) Quite a well known legend is the one of Hau and the naming the rivers through the Rangitikei/Manawatu area - it is a moteatea also. Check out the book Rangitane.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 May, 2007 9:25 am
frontman OWC
(@frontman-owc)

Kia Ora Iwi Katoa. I have not long come off the site for Ngati Rangi there is some information there about Wanganui..... Oh and by the way thanks for the information. I was wondering why my Tupuna named her Hapu as Ngati Rangi and her iwi is Ngati Kahunguru now I understand.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 December, 2007 11:03 pm
Share: