Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

OTURU MARAE  

RSS
Leahw
(@leahw)

Does anyone know the name of the cemetery or the marae in Oturu? Aparantly there is only one, so I am told. I cannot find any information about this marae on the internet - can anyone help me with this? Your help is very much appreciated.

Leah

Posted : 10 April, 2005 4:01 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Tena koe leah.w

If you make sure you are at the new Whakapapa Club ( http://whakapapa.maori.org.nz) and click on full search and put in Oturu you will find the marae listing with a phone number.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 April, 2005 2:59 pm
Leahw
(@leahw)

Thank you so much for this information. It was a surprise to find that the contact is my father's cousin.
THANK YOU

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 April, 2005 6:05 pm
maorinative46 OWC
(@maorinative46-owc)

oturu is the name of the marae Te Mataara is the name of the whare. Te Huihuinga is the name of the whare kai. Hikinui is the name of the cemetary.Ngai Tohianga/Tuhianga not sure of the spelling is the Hapu ,and Ngati Kahu is the iwi

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 August, 2006 9:11 pm
ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC
(@ngati_kurihotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora Maorinative, I also appreciate this info as our Hinga whanau link to this area too.

Leah how is Dad is he home yet?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 August, 2006 4:21 am
maorinative46 OWC
(@maorinative46-owc)

kia ora ngati kuri glad to be of help . If you need any more info will be glad to help if i can

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 August, 2006 8:57 pm
Father Hemi OWC
(@father-hemi-owc)

Tena koutou te whanau

My name is Hemi Tipene and leah i have a korero to you, i am sure that one of the marae there is mahimaru?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 January, 2007 12:04 pm
ngati_kuri@hotmail.com OWC
(@ngati_kurihotmail-com-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia Leah Rozita here. I am over in NZ currently and passed through Oturu on my way back to Auck after our Kotahitanga o Ngati Kuri 31 Dec - 03 Jan.

I am heading back to the north after seeing off our last Nga Hau e Wha tangata whenua (no longer Manuhiti) off at the airport back to Germany 6am this morning.

If you can send your Oturu request ASAP direct to my cell +6421460245 or try 64 9 8460245 ASAP I may still be in Auckland. Cellphones/Mobiles do not work past Waimononi until I go up on the hill at Te Hapua some 100 kms past Kaitaia.

I will be staying a few days in Oturu before heading up to Te Hapua for the weekend.

There was a recent (30th Dec 2006 Heteraka Reunion) at Oturu Marae and I dropped in to acknowledge our Oturu links on my way further north.

Marimaru Marae in on the Taipa Road heading out of Awanui towards the next marae at Kareponia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 January, 2007 1:26 pm
Paku OWC
(@paku-owc)

Kia ora Leah, wondering if you lived in Waitoa, think you might be my cousin? Wayne.W

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 September, 2007 6:17 pm
otarakhan OWC
(@otarakhan-owc)

Kia Ora,my name is Edwina Walker my Dads name is Ephraim aka Sebo,my nana was a tipene(Annie) b4 she married a walker(Farrimond),I couldn't help but notice your mums name as I am married to a rangiuia,my mother Inlaws name is Lavinia Delia Wilson aka Winnie,b4 she married a Rangiuia,your mum is her Aunty,my mother inlaws grandfather is George Hamlin,was a school teacher of Mataora Bay Waihi,forgive me if I'm wrong but did your Mum pass away a year or so ago,as my sister inlaw & cousin inlaw attended a funeral on behalf of the whanau back here as she was aka honeybunch.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 October, 2007 7:47 pm
otarakhan OWC
(@otarakhan-owc)

My Husbands Grandparents names are Mojo & Maria Wilson,his nana was the Hamlin.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 October, 2007 8:02 pm
Leahw
(@leahw)

Kia ora Wayne,

Sorry for the late reply. But to answer your question no I've never lived in Waitoa. Lived in Auckland then moved to Australia in 1979.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 November, 2007 10:57 pm
Leahw
(@leahw)

Kia ora Edwina,

I'll send you a PM. We are related - yes that is my mother "Honey Bunch".

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 November, 2007 10:58 pm
Share: