Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Parihaka  

RSS
kara@paradise OWC
(@karaparadise-owc)

Can anybody please tell me how parihaka got its name please as it would be interesting to no thank you

Posted : 17 May, 2006 9:51 pm
Kaye-Kaye OWC
(@kaye-kaye-owc)

Apparently there were three marae at what is now known as Parihaka! Te Miringa Hohaia would be the one to talk to as in getting the true meaning of te ingoa Parihaka!
Maybe it has to do with a bark of a Dog
When they(colonial troops) went to bomb Parihaka a kuri went and mimi on the gunpowder and the cannon didnt fire!

If you do find out its true meaning maybe you can post it here for us all

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 June, 2006 3:54 pm
mariana OWC
(@mariana-owc)

tohu kakahi - rangikotuku rukuwai kaitiaki of toroaanu marae, te miringa kaitiaki of te pae pae. the same whanau still keep the fires buring so that people can visit and go to those commemorations. rangikaapuia still stands today.
parihaka has enormous meanings.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23 June, 2006 8:33 am
tokomaru OWC
(@tokomaru-owc)

From my understanding, the name Parihaka comes from the taranaki wars; when warriors returning from conflict further north in Taranaki stopped at the village of Tohu Kakahi and Te Whiti o Rongomai to ask for assistance for their wounded. when they arrived there, there was no-one in the village as they had all gone down to the shore to collect/ fish for kaimoana, so when they called out, only their echo's ccould be heard resonating out from the cliffs and hills that surrounded the village. From this came the name Ngaa Pari Kaarangaranaga or (loosely translated as) "the cliffs that call", also known as Parihaka or the "dancing cliffs", a reference to the sound of the echos that the warriors heard calling back to them.

As I said, this is just what I have been told and Te Miringa Hohaia or other Kaumatua at Parihaka may have something different to say on this subject. The key thing to note is that Taranaki stories are hard to find because of all the conflict that happened in that area, which wiped out whole blocks off knowledge that cannot be replaced, and many people who do know are still not willing to tell anybody. The hurt of the wars can still be felt by those people.

The dog urinating on the cannon refers to a vision that either Tohu or another elder had (can't quite remember exactly who) in a dream warning the prophets of an attack on Parihaka by government troops, or at least that's how it was interpreted by the prophets.

Edited by - tokomaru on Mar 01 2007 11:26:24 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 March, 2007 11:17 am
ddblue
(@ddblue)
kapoi OWC
(@kapoi-owc)

whatever the base source to the name Parihaka I still firmly believe that that Parihaka should hold a memorial service every year, along with the partying up to follow.

the huge number of rapes by the invading soldiers and the high death rates of those incarcerated should always be a reminder about how badly Maori were treated, even during passive resistance.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 March, 2007 2:49 am
Hotutaua OWC
(@hotutaua-owc)

quote:

The dog urinating on the cannon refers to a vision that either Tohu or another elder had (can't quite remember exactly who) in a dream warning the prophets of an attack on Parihaka by government troops, or at least that's how it was interpreted by the prophets.

Edited by - tokomaru on Mar 01 2007 11:26:24 AM

To my understanding the dog was also real and it did urinate on the powder wick of a cannon that sat on a small hill that over looking the village.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 March, 2007 8:40 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

I agree with Hotutaua on this one.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 March, 2007 11:38 pm
Share: