Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Pepeha  

RSS
Lost Sheep OWC
(@lost-sheep-owc)

Help!! Am new to the site and search process. My maiden name is reedy and my father was born and raised in Ruatoria by his Keelan whanau. He moved away as a young man and we rarely made visits back there. I'm searching for roots including pepeha information!! Any and all information welcome. Grew up being told one of our Marae is Hiruharama. Kia ora

Posted : 14 January, 2008 10:32 pm
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

quote:

Help!! Am new to the site and search process. My maiden name is Reedy and my father was born and raised in Ruatoria by his Keelan whanau Grew up being told one of our Marae is Hiruharama.

Kia ora...look above you for the word 'search' click and enter the whanau names you are searching for - 'Reedy' or 'Keelan'
make sure where the search engine asks '"search by date" enter 'Any'. Then it should check all previous posts and you should get good results as both names have featured often on here over the years
And yes Hiruharama is one place you may find them but there are also others
Good luck in your search

Edited by - interplanetjanet on Jan 15 2008 12:02:31 AM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2008 11:51 pm
bpw1
 bpw1
(@bpw1)

Kia ora LostSheep,
The Reedys and the Keelans are well known in Hiruharama (Jeru). Hiruharama is home to the Reedy whanau, I thnk they have a homestead down Whareponga (rd). The marae at Whareponga are Hiruharama and Nga Rongotoa near Te Kirikiri Taatangi. The hapu is Te Aitanga a Mate.
A few whanau names that spring to mind are Moeke, Morris, Ngarimu, Tamati and Heeney to name but a few.

Across the road from Whareponga is another small place called Whakapaurangi (rd), where the Keelan homestead is, I think it's the first or second house on the right, but your father will be able to confirm this if he was brought up with them, I think it's Hopa Keelan's family who had the homestead last time I was up there. The Whakapaurangi lot sometimes identify as Te Whanau a Te Aowera. Te Aowera (The shooting star) is the name of the marae there right near the end of the road. The whanau names I remember are Keelan, Kupenga, Hongara, McClutchie, Waikato, Mason (Mauhana).

A little further south we have Makarika, home of Te Whanau a Rakairoa hapu. The marae is Rongo i te Kai. Names here are Waara (Ward), Haereroa, Chaffey, again to name but a few.

All these places are part of Hiruharama, and the Reedys have close connections with all of them.
Also migh pay to check your connections in Hicks Bay too, as I'm pretty sure they are there too.
Ask your Dad if he's familiar with any of this koorero. All these families are inerconnected, so it's not unusual that when they come together they all come under Te Aitanga a Mate.

Kia Ora

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 January, 2008 4:46 pm
ngati ki porirua OWC
(@ngati-ki-porirua-owc)

search Tuhou in tracing whanau a little bit of info there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 January, 2008 9:49 pm
Share: