Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Porirua 1840's  

Raihia OWC
(@raihia-owc)

Birth in Porirua mid 1840's to full blood Ngati Whatua mother. How many ways could she have come to be there ,presumably in a pa, as no governmental records of a birth, and no further trace of the mother. Hope it doesn't sound like a silly question.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 February, 2008 4:36 pm
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

not at all, compulsory birth and other maori registrations didn't happen until 1913 from memory, and Maori travelled length and breadth of our country. have you names for your tipuna? maybe someone here could awhi you in the right direction. And you have a start with knowing the mother was Ngati Whatua.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 February, 2008 5:32 pm
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

but in saying that my gtgtgt grandmother born 1840 wasn't registered, no parents recorded, then my grandfather wasn't registered at birth in 1921, he had a cert "made" in 1950!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 February, 2008 5:39 pm
Raihia OWC
(@raihia-owc)

Thanx for your feedback rlee. The only info I have is from her daughter's death record - hence my rather vague original question. The daughter was under guardianship of the Foxton Cook family(Mrs Cook Ngati Raukawa) at time of her marriage. Daughter is known to have been a pupil at St Joseph's Provident Native School in Wellington area.Daughters father's name is known to be Henry Radford.I wondered if someone with local knowledge (Porirua) may be able to enlarge. What is the likelihood that the person recording the daughter's death made a mistake in recording Ngati Whatua? Or could the mother have been relocated south as a captive? Thanx again rlee

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 February, 2008 6:23 pm
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora Raihia,
I've just finished reading Amokura by June Mitchell. Its a book about Te Akau (Meretini) Horohau's marriage to Englishman Thomas Uppadine Cook in 1842. The book might have a minefield of information for you.
I also know that theres a group of Cook descendents that meet every few months. I have the contact number of one of the Cook family member who happens to be a free-lance journalist & historian currently finishing her book on Te Rauparaha.
If you would like to email me I'll give you her contact details. We live in the Ngāti Toa, Te Atiawa & Ngāti Raukawa rohe.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 February, 2008 7:17 pm
rlee OWC
(@rlee-owc)
Eminent Member

one of my closest friends descends from that particular cook whanau! Wonder if any records of the native school survive?? Have you looked into the Radford side of things? any descendents? And quite possible about the relocation of the mother.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 February, 2008 7:17 pm
Raihia OWC
(@raihia-owc)

Many thanx for your interest rlee and Nani. I have read Amokura, and learnt so much from it. (A case of "the more i find out, the less i know," though!). There are parallels between my family and the Cook's - my forebear would have likely been in the same age group as Te Akau. Also her grandchildren ( my gt aunts and gt uncle) though born in Foxton, all ended up around Cambridge , and Te Akau was connected to Te Rauparaha and therefore his great migration to the Kapiti area, through Waikato relationships. Also my gtgt Grandmother, their mother, spent her last years at Wellsford, the same area that at least one of the Cook's children farmed.
After reading the very informative posting on this site regarding naming there is yet another theory to consider - my forebear, in the only place i have found her name recorded , is known as only as Raihia ( my sign-on name). Could this mean she had no father's name to attach to? Or maybe that she passed away quite young ( though old enough to bear a child) before she had a need to formally identify with a family name?
Family legend says that Henry Radford was a mariner or whaler. And there were many whaling stations in the Porirua area, but in the reading i have done on them none mention his name. But i don't think he was completely itinerant with regard to his daughter - he is recorded as the father on his daughter's Intention to Marry , even though Mr & Mrs Cook were her guardians. It's possible she merely worked for them, though somewhere along the way she gained an education, and a strong family ethic.
With regard to other descendants - as far as we know there is only those of us descended from the one daughter, and a number of us are working together on this mission. I wish i had sought help from this avenue sooner - rlee and Nani , am so grateful for your input.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 February, 2008 7:37 pm
dixonk
(@dixonk)

HI there, I've just started researching my family history. My Great Grandfather was George Gray Cook, GG Father Samuel Cook who's mother was Te Akau Meretini. I'm really interested in finding some contacts to fill the gap. I'll be getting a copy of Amokura to go through as well but any additional info would be much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 September, 2018 8:38 am

Working

Please Login or Register