Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Rongomaiwahine Iwi  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Chowleega OWC
(@chowleega-owc)

Rongomaiwahine Iwi Trustees Hui
4 November 2006 @ 0930am
Mahanga Marae

Contact Person: Waipa Te Rito (Chairperson) Wterito@eit.ac.nz

Rongmaiwahine Hui-A-Iwi Waananga
11 & 12 November 2006
Kaiuku Marae

Contact Person: Kath Mato (Co-ordinator) kmato@hotmail.com

Edited by - Chowleega on Nov 01 2006 9:57:05 PM

Posted : 30 October, 2005 5:09 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

is rongomaiwahine becoming a new iwi?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 November, 2005 11:18 pm
hearty nati OWC
(@hearty-nati-owc)
Eminent Member

i mean is it becoming independent of ngati kahungunu?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 November, 2005 11:18 pm
Mistee OWC
(@mistee-owc)

I THINK... listening to whaanau round here...She has finally become recognised as a Iwi....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 November, 2005 6:04 pm
Chowleega OWC
(@chowleega-owc)

Arohamai whanau whanui..

She is and will ever be an Iwi. There have been those who were priviledged to try and represent her but have failed in doing so.
Now she is doing what all mothers do "taking care of her own"

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 December, 2005 4:00 pm
Becks06 OWC
(@becks06-owc)

Kia ora

My tane is a Wairau and Whaanga from Mahia and i'm from Mohaka, Ngati Kahungunu. As far as were concerned Mahia has clusters of tribes but all of them together represnt Rongomaiwahine. Even tho she ended up with Kahungunu it doesn't mean that that whenua became his, even tho that was one of his main intentions for going there to marry her. Yeah he heard through the whispers of the land that she was a beautiful wahine but that was not the reason for him going up there to be here. Like every other chief all he wanted was the power because Rongomaiwahine was the Rangatira and with that she had alot of followers and that's what Kahungnu wanted, to have the power over all those people and her land!

Good luck Ngati Rongomaiwahine, but i honestly don't think you need a hui or a piece of paper for people to recognise you's as that indepent iwi.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 April, 2006 3:07 pm
Michelle Hawea OWC
(@michelle-hawea-owc)

Kia ora Rongomaiwahine whanau
When i was a young girl my nanny took myself and the rest of her siblings to Mahia to find our roots. She has always maintained that Rongomaiwahine was and iwi and an entity of its own. I have been told that we descend from Hikairo. Or maybe Rongomaiwahines first husband. That was twenty five years ago now. My nanny is passed on now and she would be very proud to know that others think so too. I think aunty Mini Westrupp who lives in Gisborne has a lot to do with regaining our identity and iwi status. I have been camping on whanau land for twenty years now and I still go there every year. My children now love this place that I love so much and so do my in laws as they have camped there for many seasons. Unfortunately the rest of my whanau do not frequent there as often as I do but they will eventually return to their Turangawaewae to regain their strength just like I do.
Michelle Hawea

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 May, 2006 1:21 pm
Hotutaua OWC
(@hotutaua-owc)

Kia ora ra Rongomaiwahine.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 May, 2006 4:23 pm
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

Kia ora ra Rongomaiwahine
ano

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 May, 2006 1:55 am
Mahia_Ur1 OWC
(@mahia_ur1-owc)

Tena koutou ngā uri o Ngāti Rongomaiwahine!!
He patai tāku: Ka tāea tētahi te kōrero mai ko wai ngā hapū o Rongomaiwāhine? Looking to make connections with my iwi... we have a trip over to Mahia Labour weekend, which Im looking forward to as I havent been back there for a few years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 August, 2006 4:05 pm
poutuedwards
(@poutuedwards)
Eminent Member

Kia ora koutou,
Nga whanau a Rongomaiwahine. I am not of your Iwi, but my baby is and I have been researching our whanau links to this tupuna, my descent comes down through Kahungunu to Raukawa to Tainui, my daughters line then comes from Tamatakutai as well as Kahungunu on her dads line. I have always known that Rongomaiwahine was an independant power beyond the veil of her marriages. And this is post-Treaty days.
Kia kaha Rongomaiwahine, may your flag remain steadfast!

peaceful regard
Jacqui

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 September, 2006 1:45 am
alihoupapa OWC
(@alihoupapa-owc)

Kia Ora Koutou

I am a descendant of both Kahungunu and Rongomaiwahine. I am at present researching my whakapapa on this side, and are pleased to find out the old stories behind how it came about that Kahungunu married Rongomaiwahine.

I am sure that your fight to gain independance will be a successful one.

Kia kaha whanau.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 October, 2006 4:12 pm
Tatere OWC
(@tatere-owc)

Tena koutou e Rongomaiwahine,
I am Kahungunu tuturu. Engari, ko te mate o tera, Kahungunu often forget to acknowledge their whaea Rongomaiwahine. I am so proud that Rongomaiwahine may stand as their own, and give their tipuna the dignified respect she deserves.

Kia tu pakari koutou, ki te kore, kei riro te mana o to tipuna.

E koutou, ko te mana o to koutou whaea kei runga i a koutou,

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 October, 2006 3:35 pm
Aubry OWC
(@aubry-owc)

Kia Ora Whanau...My Dad was raised in Kaiuku, Mahia by his Gd-uncle Beam Te Ngaio. When he moved to Porirua in 1956 all he ever talked about was his "hometown by the bay". We were fortunate to take him back as a whanau for the 1st time in 2001 and 2003 before he passed away in 2005. Rongomaiwahine in his heart was always a Iwi to him and he has passed that passion of Mahia through to his Gt gt children etc. still here in Porirua

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 October, 2006 11:14 pm
joanneotoole OWC
(@joanneotoole-owc)

Kia Ora whanau, I am a descendant of Ronogmaiwahine, I was brought up in Rotorua all my life but every holiday saw us going back to where my mum was born, Mahia, when we were growing up and were most of our holidays, we were to young to appreciate the beautiful place that Mahia was, it wasn't till 2 weeks ago when my first cousin got married (Judith Cotton, daughter of Riki and Kuna Cotton)that I realised what a special place Mahia is, we went around the back of the beach to the bach where my nanny ma, nanny pa and aunty pat are buried, reminised about the good old days but had one regret, that it had taken me 22 years to come back home ( I call it home because thats where my mum and her family grew up and it feels like it is part of me)next time we come back I will be bringing my children with me, they need to connect with this side of their family as they are part islander and Mahia has a view that they must see as they have not yet had a chance to appreciate how beautiful an ocean can be until they have seen from the penisula, and I must say a special hello to Ken Campbell my uncle who we had the pleasure of listening to and learning about the history of Mahia. Kia Ora Joanne O'Toole (emma Cotton's daughter)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22 January, 2007 9:05 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: