Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

SEARCHING FOR IWI - O'Rorke/Curry from southland  

RSS
jens OWC
(@jens-owc)

Kia ora, I am looking to find my son's iwi & hapu, his father is from Southland (Invercargill area) and has relatives with the last names O'Rorke and Curry. Unfortunately I have little contact with this side of the family and so am embarking on this mission via the internet and hoping someone knows something or knows how to begin to trace whakapapa. If anyone knows ANYTHING could you leave a message here as I would really appreciate some guidance or help...
Kia ora Koutou

Edited by - jens on Oct 27 2004 06:52:51 AM

Posted : 26 October, 2004 9:16 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora jens

i noticed that your posting is the last in this forum and it is also two years old.

I suppose because it is last that is why no-one has yet seen it. What a pity.

Anyway, if your son is from that area the tribe is easy. It is Ngai Tahu (North Island pronounciation) Kai Tahu South Island Ponounciation. That is the main iwi however it breaks down from there into smaller hapu.

The best place to start would be to contact Kai Tahu Maori Trust or similar organisation and ask them for the hapu, (subtribe) for your husbands particular area, bearing in mind that his parents may have migrated from another part of the South Island.

Hope that helps.

Paimarire

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 October, 2006 12:56 pm
pepe OWC
(@pepe-owc)

kia ora jens,
The three iwi of the south island are Waitaha, katimamoe and kaitahu. Many other tribal groups migrated to the south island later for work and have settled there as well now, so the first thing to do is find out where the maori side originally came from and if you have a tipuna name to share, I may be able to help if they are originally from there.
ka kite apopo

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 November, 2007 12:02 am
Share: