Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Sorry, not Whakapapa issue but I need help!  

RSS
Firenz OWC
(@firenz-owc)

I've been trying to locate another Maori website that have forums available where I could raise questions in building a Pataka.
If anyone knows where I could go, could a link be provided please?

Due to lack of storage space in and under the house, I'm hoping to build something outside (on legs) to store long keeping vegies such as potatoes, onions and corns.

Any info leading to contstructing one (may have to make more than one!) would be greatly appreciated. I hope this post isn't unappropiate :S

Posted : 14 February, 2008 9:00 am
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

This is the perfect site for asking such questions however probably not the best thread. However all good as most of us have had problems trying to determine which thread was more appropriate for a particular subject at one time or antoher.

As for Pataka well there is a subject I havent heard bought up here. I dont even know if I have ever seen one used in modern times however no doubt someone still has one.

As I understand it, the Pataka was simply a storage house support on two or more posts to discourage rats from eating the food. It later days they may have been disbanded with the introduction of possum since they have no problems climbing poles however I do not know if they are partial to a bit of potatoe but corn most probably.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 February, 2008 10:42 am
Gemini G OWC
(@gemini-g-owc)
Eminent Member

It may even be a better idea to dig a hole. dig a hole to whatever shape and size, line it with wood or even concrete, and a hatchtop.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 February, 2008 11:11 am
Te Paetahi OWC
(@te-paetahi-owc)

quote:

I've been trying to locate another Maori website that have forums available where I could raise questions in building a Pataka.
If anyone knows where I could go, could a link be provided please?

Due to lack of storage space in and under the house, I'm hoping to build something outside (on legs) to store long keeping vegies such as potatoes, onions and corns.

Any info leading to contstructing one (may have to make more than one!) would be greatly appreciated. I hope this post isn't unappropiate :S

You don't need to build a pataka, you can build a rua kumara or a kopiha. A rua is dug into the ground like a half buried house. This keeps the place dark and the temperature remains constant, conditions needed to store kai. Line it with fern leaves and bracken and place your kumara/spuds/etc on the fern. Ensure it is dry so they don't rot on you. Use the fern which is silver under the leaves as they help repulse pests.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 February, 2008 7:49 am
interplanetjanet
(@interplanetjanet)
Eminent Member

Nice to see a totally new topic being introduced... if you have your heart set on a pataka you can get around the rodent problem by using metal sleeves over or around the supporting poles -make suer they are wide enough to disallow any rodent being able to grip the pole...saw this done in NZ in regards to an old maize storage facility built of poles. Have also seen earthen traditional deep well kumara pits and another done using a wide mouthed concrete pipe inserted 2 mts verticaly underground ( not sure how successful that proved to be)
We once used an ancient old Kumara pit to see if it worked
my only comment would be that you need a good system to be able to retrieve what is stored easily and without causing damage to whats being left behind- Te Paetahis point is really important - all seperate layers need to have matter ´-fern, hay, seperating them and it works best when nothing is touching. That way if one goes rotten it doesnt taint the rest them.

Kumara Ive seen successfully stored long term in kete, after being individually wrapped in sheets of newpaper and left in a kete in a dry dark place-
good luck with it . Would love to hear how the project works out in the end

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 February, 2008 9:19 pm
Firenz OWC
(@firenz-owc)

Thank you, thank you everyone, sorry for not been in as had been down with the headcolds and also (silly me!) I forgotten to click on the feature for notifier of newer posts so thought no one was replying lol.
Thank you Matahuru, it was a little bewildering not knowing where to go for information and I did google pages and pages until my poor eyes went all squared and tired lol.

thank you everyone who took the time to reply 🙂

I've come across some information on Kopiha, saw that they're half in the ground so had decided probably not a good idea for coastal area like Foxton. We have the sandy soil and oddly enough, we get occassional floodings as well (with the floods, comes the river rats). So I thought, 'rule out the ground and go up instead.'

But I'm going to take the time to reflect on what everyone have posted on here and I'll come back at a later stage.
So the most important issues I need to think about, are: steady temperature, some sort of protection against rats, possums and other pests, darkness, dryness, what about ventilation? Do you need air circulation?

I guess I wont know too much until I start experimenting *wink*

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 February, 2008 9:37 am
Firenz OWC
(@firenz-owc)

Interplantjanet, I'm trying to imagine how successful a concrete pipe would be? I could only imagining the difficulties a 2m depth pipe would be - someone would have to have something fitted inside where you wont stand on the produce when taking some food out. Interesting concept that comes with difficulties I reckons lol. I'll be interested in hearing how that turned out 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 February, 2008 9:46 am
Share: