Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Tainui waka  

Page 1 / 6
  RSS
sheree_tm OWC
(@sheree_tm-owc)

I am interested in the reason of Tainui waka landing in Kawhia and wanted to know if anyone knew why Tainui landed in Kawhia. I read that the captain of the waka Hoturua met up with Rakataura in Kawhia and they reconciled and then this was where Tainui landed and settled. Any more ideas on this history would be great.

Posted : 15 October, 2006 2:37 am
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Tainui landed at Whangaparaoa 1st

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 October, 2006 9:35 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

don't be facaecious, everyone knows that taiga, but it is the final resting place that is very very very important.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 October, 2006 12:44 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

further more, sheree is asking about when it landed in Kawhia, not about where it first landed 😛 panuihia te patai

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 October, 2006 12:49 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora pono

My local elders gave me this version.

After whangaparaoa they followed the western coastline and continued around coromandel, tauranga landing again in maketu bay of plenty. Here the story goes Hoturoa tried to trick Tama-te-kapua into thinking they had arrived before them by placing his anchor under that of Te Arawa. His plan failed so he carried onto gisborne where Torere, the young wife of Rakataura, jumped ship becuase she was afraid of him. She married into that area and there is a place in the waiowek a gorge named after her. They returned this time past thames landing at a place further inland called Te-hoe-o-tainui.

The shoeline in 950ad came right ot this place now approximately 20-30kms from the present shoreline of thames.

Here Hoturoa threw a paddle onto the land and said a karakia. He then jumped ahore and planted a stick in the ground. This was the first land claimed by tainui and the rakau marked the far eastern boundary. They carried on around the hauraki to the Otahuhu Isthmus. There they rolled the waka across the mud flats using poles. They then continued past ihumatao Mangere then down to kawhia. There were many other incidents along they but i will not go into them.

Once in kawhia, Hoturoa sent two runners back to-the rakau at Te-Hoe-o-tainui. This would have taken weeks if not months. When they returned they explained all that they had seen to their chief.

The first land was gifted to Rakataura for guiding them here safely. There was aqn incident involving Rakataura and Hoturoa however I donnot know the details. That is the area of Ngati Makirangi, my hapu.

I think that they chose kawhia because no other immigrants had settled there yet. There were however other tangata whenua here

Edited by - matahuru on Oct 15 2006 4:35:46 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 October, 2006 4:29 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

The waka now rests on a hill behind Maketu marae in kawhia. It is buried under the ground between two rocks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 October, 2006 4:34 pm
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

Duh! Tane Ariki but as Matahuru explained that was the story i was referring to. She asked why Tainui landed at Kawhia and its because they landed at Whangaparaoa 1st! Whose ever trickery on who was not what i wanted to comment on so i simply gave her a place to look which would lead her to the answers she seeks! Bit of forsight needed i think!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 October, 2006 11:38 pm
sheree_tm OWC
(@sheree_tm-owc)

quote:

Kia ora pono

My local elders gave me this version.

After whangaparaoa they followed the western coastline and continued around coromandel, tauranga landing again in maketu bay of plenty. Here the story goes Hoturoa tried to trick Tama-te-kapua into thinking they had arrived before them by placing his anchor under that of Te Arawa. His plan failed so he carried onto gisborne where Torere, the young wife of Rakataura, jumped ship becuase she was afraid of him. She married into that area and there is a place in the waiowek a gorge named after her. They returned this time past thames landing at a place further inland called Te-hoe-o-tainui.

The shoeline in 950ad came right ot this place now approximately 20-30kms from the present shoreline of thames.

Here Hoturoa threw a paddle onto the land and said a karakia. He then jumped ahore and planted a stick in the ground. This was the first land claimed by tainui and the rakau marked the far eastern boundary. They carried on around the hauraki to the Otahuhu Isthmus. There they rolled the waka across the mud flats using poles. They then continued past ihumatao Mangere then down to kawhia. There were many other incidents along they but i will not go into them.

Once in kawhia, Hoturoa sent two runners back to-the rakau at Te-Hoe-o-tainui. This would have taken weeks if not months. When they returned they explained all that they had seen to their chief.

The first land was gifted to Rakataura for guiding them here safely. There was aqn incident involving Rakataura and Hoturoa however I donnot know the details. That is the area of Ngati Makirangi, my hapu.

I think that they chose kawhia because no other immigrants had settled there yet. There were however other tangata whenua here

Edited by - matahuru on Oct 15 2006 4:35:46 PM

Thank you very much for the information of the Tainui waka history and the reason why Tainui settled in Kawhia. You have enlighntened me with this great information and understand it much better. I have started reading the book Tainui Hoturua and his descendants but sometimes find it hard to understand. I also have connections to Te Hoe O Tainui through my Grandmother, her whanau are the Waikato's and The Timothy's. I am researching my whakapapa and interested in learning about Tainui history.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 October, 2006 5:30 am
sheree_tm OWC
(@sheree_tm-owc)

quote:

Duh! Tane Ariki but as Matahuru explained that was the story i was referring to. She asked why Tainui landed at Kawhia and its because they landed at Whangaparaoa 1st! Whose ever trickery on who was not what i wanted to comment on so i simply gave her a place to look which would lead her to the answers she seeks! Bit of forsight needed i think!

Thankyou very much for your help, I am grateful of the information you gave me as any information about Tainui history is of value to me and of great help for my understanding.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 October, 2006 6:44 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Taiga, that's not why we landed at Kawhia. We landed at Kawhia for different reasons, and Tainui was dragged ashore twice, once in Te Whitianga o Tainui and again at Otahuhu.

What happened at Whangaparaoa is irrlevant - because the korero I know from my tupuna says we were successful at tricking Te Arawa. Now don't tell me you're going to sit there and say - e he ana tena korero!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 October, 2006 7:53 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

I think you need a bit of foresight before you start questioning me about what I know - Whangaparaoa would have never led her to this - but had you talked about Karangahape and his relationship with Hotu Roa and Marama-Tahanga then maybe we might be getting somewhere. Duh.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 October, 2006 7:56 am
taiga
(@taiga)
Trusted Member

I am not going to make comment on who tricked who. Thats for the ones of the time to know. Passed down information is often misconstrewed and is always left to the perceptor.

To Tainui the rtickery was made by them and to us Te Arawa the trick was on you. Just as we claim Whakaotirangi and some claim our whakaotirangi to be in fact Whakaotinuku.

Whatever the case maybe this is certain. The Kawhia landing is of direct result to the Whangaparaoa landing. Just as you and i are here because of it.

It is a start point, as good as any and appropriate as it appears that what was wanted was information. It also appears that sheree may not have known of the Whangaparaoa landing so this was to let her know that why not start here as it was the first landing place.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 October, 2006 11:46 am
sheree_tm OWC
(@sheree_tm-owc)

Kia Ora to all

I am interested in knowing all the different versions why Tainui landed in Kawhia and settled there and know that Tainui first landed in Whangaparaoa. The version of the history that I know of is when Hoturoa and Rakataura reconciled and Rakataura married Hoturoa's daughter and then Tainui settled in Kawhia and that Te Arawa and Tainui waka are closely related.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 October, 2006 3:26 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

quote:

I am interested in knowing all the different versions why Tainui landed in Kawhia and settled there and know that Tainui first landed in Whangaparaoa. The version of the history that I know of is when Hoturoa and Rakataura reconciled and Rakataura married Hoturoa's daughter and then Tainui settled in Kawhia and that Te Arawa and Tainui waka are closely related.

The reason why Tainui landed at Kawhia is because of that. Karangahape is another name for Rakataura, and Marama Tahanga is another name for Marama-Kiko-Hura. Don't look to other iwi to explain it (our own history) for you. Its like me asking the Rarotongans for the history of Tainui.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 October, 2006 8:00 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Thats, if you're Tainui, sheree_tm, of course.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 October, 2006 8:10 am
Page 1 / 6
Share: