Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TAUPIRI MAUNGA  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Taiwhakaea OWC
(@taiwhakaea-owc)

Kia Ora!!!
Im looking for the history of Taupiri Maunga
and how it became the local urupa for Waikato.

Posted : 21 December, 2007 5:16 pm
Christabelle67 OWC
(@christabelle67-owc)

Edited by - Christabelle67 on Feb 03 2008 9:25:11 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 December, 2007 2:34 am
Te Rangamahue OWC
(@te-rangamahue-owc)

Tena koe Taiwhakaia.

Kia Ora koe Christabelle i believe that your story is not true sorry to be mean about it.

From the top of TE Mata o Tutonga, (The old name of Taupiri), Te Putu looked down to the valley of waikato and on the river was a fleet of enemy war canoes belonging to Ngati Raukawa their warriors landed and attacked Te Pepepe Pa directly opposite Taupiri Mountain. Te Putu was a very old man to old to fight, he told his son Tawhiakiterangi to lead a war party against the enemy, Te Putu also told him to drive the enemy out of the pa and off his tribal lands, Tawhiakiterangi called on messengers to call on the help of his friends in time canoes full of warriors was heading for Te Pepepe.

Cut the story short Ngatokowaru the chief of Ngati Raukawa came to Taupiri to say his goodbye to Te Putu cause he knew he would be killed, Te Putu was lying on his couch in his whare and Ngatokowaru had visited him. now because Te Putu was very tapu nobody could hongi him on the nose instead they would hongi him on his big toe,
as Ngatokowaru bent down he pulled out a dagger from under his Maro and stabed Te Putu in the throat and drank Te Putus blood, with the blood of the tohunga in and over him Ngatokowaru became very tapu also.

Tawhiakiterangi raised his patu and crashed it down on the head of Ngatokowaru killing him.

They then burried Te putu on the earth floor of his whare at the very top of Te Mata o Tutonga and was the first to be buried on there.

Because all the blood had scatered all over the pa, the tribe had left and made a pa else where.

from then on Te Mata o Tutonga or Taupiri became the Urupa for Tainui Waikato

many years later other people were buried on their because of the view of the Waikato river.

This is a well knowen information in Tainui waikato

Im not sure about the story above mines.

Kia Ora

Edited by - Te Rangamahue on Jan 03 2008 9:50:58 PM

Edited by - Te Rangamahue on Jan 03 2008 9:53:42 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 January, 2008 9:42 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Kia Ora Christabelle67,

Hold on to that korero. It contains very important information that is special to your family as well as for Tainui who don't live in Pare Waikato. The information you have is very important for the other part of Tainui that you're from - Pare Hauraki.

Heoi ano.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 January, 2008 10:15 pm
crazyhorse OWC
(@crazyhorse-owc)

quote:

Kia Ora!!!

christabelle67's story makes Tiramanuhiri to be 115yrs old when Kaimaha was born she would have to be a great lady to look after her niece at that age.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 January, 2008 12:54 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Well crazyhorse, traditionally elderly Maori women were very active in caring for the young in their family (much like the ones of today).

My nan didn't stop managing a large garden until her late 70s early 80s. She kept on growing foods in a smaller garden and keeping up to date with all of the fishing reports. She could produce more food on the land than the local people that she was staying with. She was very active until she passed away.

She was raised by her grandmother who was quite old. In fact, her grandmother was older than Tiramanuhiri so I don't find Christabelle67's story that hard to believe. Women usually outlive men, and if you were of a high status then you're likely to outlive someone of a lower status. With those two factors combined it is no wonder that Tiramanuhiri lived for as long as she did.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 January, 2008 1:23 am
crazyhorse OWC
(@crazyhorse-owc)

quote:

quote:

Kia Ora!!!

christabelle67's story makes Tiramanuhiri to be 115yrs old when Kaimaha was born she would have to be a great lady to look after her niece at that age.

If you do the sums I believe it is impossible for Tiramanuhiri to have had a niece/nephew born by the time she was 115yrs old maybe a great great grand niece??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 January, 2008 8:28 am
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Who am I to say whats possible and impossible within Christabelle67's whanau? We only know the information she has given. There may be more that we don't know about. Or, she's telling the truth. In any case, who are we to tell her that she doesn't her genealogy if none of us descend through that line? It would take another descendant of Tiramanuhiri to say no that she is wrong.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 January, 2008 12:12 pm
Christabelle67 OWC
(@christabelle67-owc)

Edited by - Christabelle67 on Feb 03 2008 9:25:57 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 January, 2008 3:21 pm
Te Rangamahue OWC
(@te-rangamahue-owc)

Ae kia ora koe!!

At a hui we had tonight with our kaumatua of Tainui Waka i mentioned this posting on here and i was keen to look for some answers.

i went around to 15 kaumatua whom they were in their 80s and they all replied to me with the same answer for the history whichwas the one of Te Putu and Ngatokowaru.

whaea Mamae the greatest historian that Tainui has gave me a few c.ds of the history of tainui waka to listen to and i did and the stor of Te Mata o Tutonga was the same.

I also printed your reply and i read it out to the 56 kaumatua who were present at this hui and non of those 56 had heard of your story.

im not saying that its wrong but even in our kuras they a teaching the same.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 January, 2008 10:00 pm
Te Rangamahue OWC
(@te-rangamahue-owc)

Ae kia ora koe!!

At a hui we had tonight with our kaumatua of Tainui Waka i mentioned this posting on here and i was keen to look for some answers.

i went around to 15 kaumatua whom they were in their 80s and they all replied to me with the same answer for the history whichwas the one of Te Putu and Ngatokowaru.

whaea Mamae the greatest historian that Tainui has gave me a few c.ds of the history of tainui waka to listen to and i did and the stor of Te Mata o Tutonga was the same.

I also printed your reply and i read it out to the 56 kaumatua who were present at this hui and non of those 56 had heard of your story.

im not saying that its wrong but even in our kuras they a teaching the same.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 January, 2008 10:01 pm
Christabelle67 OWC
(@christabelle67-owc)

Edited by - Christabelle67 on Feb 03 2008 9:27:41 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 January, 2008 10:15 pm
Te Rangamahue OWC
(@te-rangamahue-owc)

ae tena koe!!!

thatis fine i dont have a raruraru with that.

hei koona!!!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 January, 2008 10:19 pm
Ngamotu34
(@ngamotu34)
Eminent Member

Does anyone know if there is a list of all those buried on Taupiri Maunga? A tupuna is supposed to have been buried there, maybe around 1900.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2008 2:04 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

Hm I'm not too sure if there is such a list.

I have a tupuna buried there too, but I remember his name.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 January, 2008 2:17 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: