Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

TE WAIARIKI : Help with whakapapa needed  

RSS
salpaul OWC
(@salpaul-owc)

Help, anybody with any knowledge of "The Legend" "WAIARIKI" please help me. Did the Waiariki people come from Maunganui,Tibet? I read there was a waka made from feathers and it flew here to Aotearoa. Te Mawe (who was given the gift of flight)and Rakaihautu were brothers? Please help me to find out where this story came from or who wrote this. I was told this carving is in a Marae in the North somewhere. My son Te Waiariki was given the story on a piece of board. This board also has the picture of this carving. This carving is of a "waka with wings".I would appreciate if anybody could help me with this one.

Posted : 18 July, 2005 2:11 pm
witewhiu OWC
(@witewhiu-owc)

Teena koe salpaul.Great story aa!The Waiariki is a sub-tribe that have connections at Whangaruru which is on the eastern part of the Taitokerau.And also has connections at Panguru,Hokianga.The carving that you are talking about it is in a wharehui called Tamatea which at a place called Motuti,Hokianga.The name of that waka to my whanau is called Te Uruao.Te Mawe is tupuna of mine on my dads side.Bless your son with his ancestoral name Te Waiariki.Te Mawe issues are well spread through the North and South Island.
Keep up the research.
Na,Wi.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 July, 2005 11:03 pm
waitaha OWC
(@waitaha-owc)

Tena koe salpaul, contact me uruao@yahoo.co.uk
Waitaha

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 September, 2006 9:32 am
Upokoruru OWC
(@upokoruru-owc)

Salpual,

Waiariki was the daughter of Matiti. She 'married' Rakaihautu. She is also referred to as Waiariki-o-aio.This may have been in relation to Patunui-o-aio.Aio is perhaps, regardless of what other more fancifull interpretations have been offered, Waio or Wai-o-raki, Wai-o-nuku, have is also rendered as 'Aio-o-raki and Aio-hou-taketake. These are all ancient tupuna from Maui-tikitiki through his daughter Hine-rau[w]haraki. Another rendering of the Waiariki name is given as "Rikiawhaio".So we have Aio,Waio or Wai-o and Whaio.
However, it seems the general inference is that of the Waiariki hapu, who I beleive is one of the tangata whenua around the Whangarei Harbour area.It seems that they have adopted the ancient 'Huruhurumanu' legend as the Uruao, and possibly the Huruhurumanu waka it-self according to another account, intially made land-fall around the Muriwhenua region nearly fifty generations ago.Thus, Waiariki of Waitaha traditions is probably not the same eponymous tupuna of the current Whangarei hapu.
The "feathered" vessel you referred to is the Huruhurumanu waka, which was belived to be the first migration and proto-type of the Uruao waka by which Rakaihautu, Rakihouia and Kahui-Tipua, Kahui-Roko migrated. However, some believe the swiftness of the Uruao describes the name of that migration 'Huruhurumanu'.The korero been, that the Waitaha people first lived on a great land mass.One day they ventured far enough and found a shore-line and saw the sea for the first time. They made a waka out of feathers and sent it adrift on the water.Many days past and it finally returned. But it was rather battered and ruined by a storm on the sea over the western horizon.Thus the people knew that there was a passage through the horizon and sky.They set about constructing another waka, a stronger one of wood.This they named "Uruao" after the storm in the West that destroyed the Huruhurumanu.
Other accounts given read:"The name of the first canoe was [in translation] The Canoe of Rangi ,and in consequence of its speed it was called Te waka-huruhuru-manu',and another account renders the name Patu-nui-o-aio as Patu-nui-o-waio and Tai-te-whenua as Tahito-whenua."
it is believed that Rangi (-Raki) here refers to Raki-houia, the navigator of the Uruao and son of Rakaihautu.
and: "From Patunui-o-aio came the canoes and from Tawhiti-nui-a-rua (this is possibly Tahiti Island).This was the island of the fires (i.e, volacanoes) ,and is where men became men (i.e, not gods)>"
"After-wards came Matiti from beyond the sky, who came in that canoe Uruao.Tai-te-whenua was also in that canoe from Patu-nui-o-aio....The contents (cargo) of the Uruao was man, hence arose this whakatauki "Ka purupuru a Tai-te-whenua, ko Waitaha, ko Te Kahui-tipua, ko Kahui-roko." [these are the three peoples of the tribes]Te Kahui-tipua had the kauru (cabbage tree root), Kahi-roko had the kumara, and Hawea-i-te-raki had Tahu-ariki and Tapu-ki-tahaki.."
"The people who came in the canoe of Raki were te Tinitini-o-te-para-rakau.It was this people who deceived Rata because of his follishness..."
(James Herries-Beattie,' Traditions and legends of the South Island Maori'-p.106)
I know nothing of a Waitaha migration from Tibet.The Huruhurumanu never flew as such, although it was lite as a feather.People would belive that the ancient Kahui-rere could fly because of their name, but they rather 'fled' before the invaders.
The descendants of Rakaihautu are well disseminated through out the S.Island-Mahaanui and N.Island-Aotearoa. Although most Maori are unaware of this. There are still Waitaha iwi in the S.Island. The Kati Mamoe, Rapuwai and even Kai Tahu can be traced back to this Rakaihautu as Toi and Rauru were his descendants.
According to the fund of whakapapa available, Rakaihautu lived about 1000 years ago. Barry Brailsford et-al "talk" about two tupuna called "Rakaihautu", whom Brailsford believes lived some 76 generations ago, and a "Rakaihaitu".I know only of one.Indeed, the variant orthography involved here betrays the simple fact that sometimes "Rakaihaitu" is used instead of "Rakaihautu" , yet within the same generation and whakapapa.Further, the earliest 'underlay' of the Ngapuhi go back to Rakaihautu.
Follow these links I have made else where under the persona Irian (banned) and Ali-cat (current member):

http://www.aocafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2668&start=0

Edited by - Upokoruru on Mar 11 2007 4:36:14 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 March, 2007 11:05 pm
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

He mihi nui ki a koe e Te Upokouru mo tāu whakamārama e pā ana tōku tūpuna rongonui ko Rākaihautu me te wāhi Muriwhenua te mea te mea.
Thanks for your posting explanation & references about this wonderful history regarding Rākaihautū, Te Muriwhenua Waitaha te mea te mea.
I feel I must add something here about Tibet. I first became interested in this when I saw Tibetan monks on a NZ documentary visit the Hokianga with this young Tibetan boy whom was schooled here for in his junior years & the monks returned to take him home to Tibet. In the documentary it was said that Tibetan monks have always paid their respects to this sacred place in the Hokianga whom they have always believed that spirits there came from their spirit place nā reirā whai hāere te matauranga, ma te atua e manaaki e tiaki

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 March, 2007 5:54 pm
Share: