Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

WHAKAPAPA  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
herb.oldham OWC
(@herb-oldham-owc)

Kia Ora my tribe is Rongowhakaata and i am looking for help searching for my Hapu,Awa,Maunga,Waka,Marae.My Whanau comes from manutuke. Eny part of this is a big help thank you. my nans name was Morehu Turei if this helps eny.

Edited by - herb.oldham on Jan 14 2008 12:39:46 PM

Posted : 14 January, 2008 9:20 am
bpw1
 bpw1
(@bpw1)

Kia ora herb.oldham,
Here's a start:

Ko Puketapu te maunga
Ko Te Arai te awa
Ko Rongowhakaata te iwi

Puketapu is the Mountain
Te Arai is the river
Rongowhakaata are the people

The two marae in Manutuke are Manutuke Marae, and Whakato Marae. The waka are Horouta, Takitimu, and I think Te Ia Roa.

There is also a marae about 2 minutes drive south of Manutuke called Pahou.
As for hapu, I'm not too familiar with these, as you may be aware Rongowhakaata isn't a big tribe, but I think there may be a few.

It might be better if you mention your whanau name, someone's bound to respond to you.

Kia ora.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2008 11:04 am
Gemini G OWC
(@gemini-g-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia Ora Herb,

We are wandering where you got the name Rongowhakaata from, because we only know of the tribe named Ngatiwhakaata, and they are in Ihuamatao. Apparently, they say they are from Tainui.

But, when we speak of Iwi over Gisborne way, that is, Ngati Porou.

Edited by - Gemini G on Feb 09 2008 11:53:37 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2008 12:38 pm
bpw1
 bpw1
(@bpw1)

Kia ora Gemini G,
Ngati Porou is just one of the iwi which reside in Gisborne, and Rongowhakaata is another.

Ihumatao is a Tainui settlement near the Airport, and Mangere, I know the Totos from out those wayz. As my surname is Raki, although this name is Cook Island origin, I have whanaunga who live out there too. This is a heck of a long way from Manutuke.

Ngatiwhakaata don't have any real close connections to Rongowhakaata. Rongowhakaata was a descendant of Porourangi, but Rongowhakaata although related is an iwi independent of Ngati Porou.

Other iwi within the Gisborne region are Te Aitanga a Mahaki and Ngai Tamanuhiri. Ngaariki Kaiputahi also claim that they are an independent iwi although most say that they are too intergrated with Mahaki.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2008 3:30 pm
tane_ariki OWC
(@tane_ariki-owc)
Trusted Member

As far as I'm aware, Rongowhakaata are a really well known iwi in that area like Te Aitanga a Mahaki and Ngai Tamanuhiri. I mean, Ngati Porou isn't a name that just springs to mind when I think of Gisborne...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2008 5:43 pm
bpw1
 bpw1
(@bpw1)

Yeah I thought Rongowhakaata was pretty well known too. In fact if anything this is the first time I've ever heard of the Ihumatao people being referred to as Ngatiwhakaata. I suppose you learn something new everyday.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2008 9:32 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

haha ya sure do. Does Rongowhakaata include the mahia district of the east coast?

It was my understanding that they oocupied whenua between Kahungunu Wairoa, and Porourangi upper east coast but south of gisbourne, along with Te Aitanga a mahaki and other iwi you have mentioned.

Interesting. Can anyone clarify this for us? Hearty Ngati maybe?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 January, 2008 8:43 am
straightouttawairoa OWC
(@straightouttawairoa-owc)

Ngati Kahungunu ki Wairoa raua ko Waikaremoana ahau. Nah, Mahia district goes under Ngati Kahungunu ki Mahia. The borderline is close thou matahuru I think it starts at Mahanga (or maybe even before). Rongowhakaata is Turangi-a-Kiwa, more Gizzy than Mahia. Aitanga-a-Mahaki more closer to Mangatu/Te Tai Rawhiti than Mahia. My partner is Ngati Kahungunu ki Mahia raua ko Rongowhakaata, Aitanga a Mahaki but yeah we not related aye...straight up cause his mum was whangai to the whanau in Mahia (DONT DO THAT INCEST STUFF...AYE!). But yeah, Kahungunu was a whore and had kids all over the motu.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 January, 2008 9:44 am
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora bro

Well that clears that up!

Cheers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 January, 2008 9:45 am
pono OWC
(@pono-owc)
Eminent Member

kia ora straightouttawairoa

Pardon, I had never knew kahungunu was a female

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 January, 2008 10:17 am
DDD OWC
(@ddd-owc)

"straightoutawairoa

crazy young brother named maori dude

from a band called maori with attitude

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 January, 2008 1:12 pm
matahuru OWC
(@matahuru-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora pono

I think straightoutawairoa was referring to the male equivalent of whore accept without the exchange of money. 'Promiscuous man' if you prefer..

This is common knowledge when referring to Kahungunu. Apparently he had a abnormally large..er..taiaha..hehe.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 February, 2008 7:42 am
bpw1
 bpw1
(@bpw1)

quote:

Ngati Kahungunu ki Wairoa raua ko Waikaremoana ahau. Nah, Mahia district goes under Ngati Kahungunu ki Mahia. The borderline is close thou matahuru I think it starts at Mahanga (or maybe even before). Rongowhakaata is Turangi-a-Kiwa, more Gizzy than Mahia. Aitanga-a-Mahaki more closer to Mangatu/Te Tai Rawhiti than Mahia. My partner is Ngati Kahungunu ki Mahia raua ko Rongowhakaata, Aitanga a Mahaki but yeah we not related aye...straight up cause his mum was whangai to the whanau in Mahia (DONT DO THAT INCEST STUFF...AYE!). But yeah, Kahungunu was a whore and had kids all over the motu.

Hahaha, that's why they called Kahungunu ure parati, and for another reason they called him te piihau paaua, ask those Rongomaiwahine lot.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 February, 2008 9:42 am
straightouttawairoa OWC

Kia ora koutou, man u fullaz are hardcase az!! I dont think were helping ol Herb out aye. Oh bpw1, its not Manutuke Marae its The Maori Battalion. ae?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 February, 2008 1:15 pm
straightouttawairoa OWC

Kia ora koutou ano, sorry bpw1 - I take that back. The following are Marae in Manutuke rohe; Te Hokowhitu aka Maori Battalion, Manutuke, Pahou
Whakato and Ohako. N thats probably why my name isnt "STRAIGHTOUTTAMANUTUKE" aue! Ka kite ano.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 February, 2008 2:20 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: