Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Who are the iwi of the Coromandel area?  

RSS
Nani OWC
(@nani-owc)
Eminent Member

Land repatriation is the way to go near our marae, see land or houses for sale & buy, even it means going a 3rd with whānau because some of the property around one of my marae in the Horowhenua rohe are almost a million dollars.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 January, 2008 2:24 am
Christabelle67 OWC
(@christabelle67-owc)

Kia ora Nani

Well I have to agree! Where there are no claims in progress, buy back what you can before it gets sold into developers hands or worse into overseas owners hands who really don't care about the significance of the land to our people... its all money to them, to some of us, it is far more than $ and cents.
Naku noa
Christel

PS Really enjoy reading and learning about Hauraki, Coromandel, Ngati Paoa...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 January, 2008 2:52 am
Gemini G OWC
(@gemini-g-owc)
Eminent Member

Kia ora Tirairaka,

DDD had mentioned marututahu, but he means Marutuahu, the keepers of the shrine.

And they are the tangata whenua of the Hauraki, which includes the coromandel.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 January, 2008 12:31 am
Gemini G OWC
(@gemini-g-owc)
Eminent Member

Go to the top >>>

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 March, 2008 4:48 am
MrTwista13
(@mrtwista13)

Kia ora, I see this conversation is over 10 years old ha. But what is your view and knowledge of any maoritangi or evidence of marae situated on the Thames Coast, from Waiomu through to Waikawau? What is/was the iwi there?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 December, 2018 9:02 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora @mrtwista13

The Census of the Maori Population 1878 has iwi / hapu and kainga listed. I don't know the area you are talking about, but you may recognise some of the places in that, which may give you some answers. 🙂

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 December, 2018 1:00 pm
Davis
(@davis)

Ko Ngati Hei te iwi

Ko Te Ra Matiti te Marae