Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Thomas ELLISON and Te-Ikaraua WHATI  

RSS
Michael Campbell OF
(@michael-campbell-of)

Thomas ELLISON 1816-1840 and Te-Ikaraua WHATI were the foundation of a large family through their two son Daniel Raniera ELLISON Thomas Ellison and one daughter Catherine Ellison/Magrath/Tutere the families still exist unknown to each other, information would be of great assistance to me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 January, 2004 6:33 am
adkel_nzsth OWC
(@adkel_nzsth-owc)

Hi Micheal

Not sure if its the same family, but the Ellison family is in Karitane just out of Dunedin, they are very well known here in dunedin, check out the Hockin libruary.

good luck
Ps i actually work with one of the Ellisons, i will ask him if he knows of these people and he might beable to help u.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 January, 2004 9:26 am
adkel_nzsth OWC
(@adkel_nzsth-owc)

Hi Micheal

Not sure if its the same family, but the Ellison family is in Karitane just out of Dunedin, they are very well known here in dunedin, check out the Hockin libruary.

good luck
Ps i actually work with one of the Ellisons, i will ask him if he knows of these people and he might beable to help u.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 January, 2004 9:27 am
adkel_nzsth OWC
(@adkel_nzsth-owc)

Hi Micheal

i got this information from the person i was talking about in my last post hope it is of some help
Yes, I do know of these tipuna. I haven't looked at the details for a little while now but I know Thomas Ellison came to Taranaki and fell in with the people of Te Atiawa, had a family with Te Ikaraua namely Daniel (Raniera), Catherine and another girl whose name I can't remember right now.I'm not aware of another brother but I could stand corrected. Thomas Ellison was drowned in the vicinity of Queen Charlotte Sound (I think) while sealing. Te Ikaraua took her whanau back up to Otaki where they were raised. Raniera (Daniel) made his way down South and eventually married my Great Grandmother Nani Weller who was the mokopuna of Taiaroa of Kai Tahu. After they were married they lived on whenua at Puketeraki and Otaki but eventually chose Otakou as their base and the whanau were essentially raised there. The Ellison whanau has had two reunions in recent times, one in 1985 and another last year at Easter. I know Birdy McGrath and have been aware of other lines as well but personally have never meet them. Sections of the whanau who became domiciled back up in Taranaki and Raglan do know them a lot better. Raniera is buried in the Otakou marae urupa along with Nani and there is representation there from a number of their offsprings lines. Our particular branch is from Teone Matapura who was the oldest of their whanau. I'm sorry some details are a bit scetchly but I have it all at home. As I said I haven't looked at this whakapapa for a while and you can see that the details become hazy if one does not maintain the study of it. My apologies for that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 January, 2004 9:13 am
adkel_nzsth OWC
(@adkel_nzsth-owc)

Hi Micheal

i got this information from the person i was talking about in my last post hope it is of some help
Yes, I do know of these tipuna. I haven't looked at the details for a little while now but I know Thomas Ellison came to Taranaki and fell in with the people of Te Atiawa, had a family with Te Ikaraua namely Daniel (Raniera), Catherine and another girl whose name I can't remember right now.I'm not aware of another brother but I could stand corrected. Thomas Ellison was drowned in the vicinity of Queen Charlotte Sound (I think) while sealing. Te Ikaraua took her whanau back up to Otaki where they were raised. Raniera (Daniel) made his way down South and eventually married my Great Grandmother Nani Weller who was the mokopuna of Taiaroa of Kai Tahu. After they were married they lived on whenua at Puketeraki and Otaki but eventually chose Otakou as their base and the whanau were essentially raised there. The Ellison whanau has had two reunions in recent times, one in 1985 and another last year at Easter. I know Birdy McGrath and have been aware of other lines as well but personally have never meet them. Sections of the whanau who became domiciled back up in Taranaki and Raglan do know them a lot better. Raniera is buried in the Otakou marae urupa along with Nani and there is representation there from a number of their offsprings lines. Our particular branch is from Teone Matapura who was the oldest of their whanau. I'm sorry some details are a bit scetchly but I have it all at home. As I said I haven't looked at this whakapapa for a while and you can see that the details become hazy if one does not maintain the study of it. My apologies for that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 January, 2004 9:13 am
Michael Campbell OF
(@michael-campbell-of)

I do appreciate the information supplied by adkel to my initial query and it has assisted me, however there must be others out there who has information that will provide me with a line of enquiry that can assist our family

Mike C

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 January, 2004 10:03 am
Michael S Campbell OF
(@michael-s-campbell-of)

I thank Adkel for the information supplied it has been a help, however there must be a number of people in the Ellison family that can assist my research. My home p[hone number is 04 3838017 if you woulkd rather communicate directly with me.

MikeC

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 January, 2004 10:09 am
ktarawa OF
(@ktarawa-of)

Hi there, I was so excited to find some other family.
Catherine Hariata Ellison was my 3rd Gt Grandmother. Her 1st Husband was Andrew Nicholson Magrath. they had 4 children.
She did marry again to a Tutere I think his name was Mematau. We haven't any traces on this line at all. So I'm so so happy to know of her other family. Catherine was one of 3 children. Thomas born 1836, Catherine 1838, and her brother Daniel or Raniera born 1839.
He was one when his father was drowned 1840.
The records say the he was drowned at Korokoro, Wellington. (Petone)But maybe this was recorded wrong. Daniel married into Ngai Tahu - Hannah (Nani) Weller.
I would just love to email you and catch up on the rest of the whanau.
Thanks for making my day

KM Tarawa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 01 February, 2004 4:38 pm
Michael S Campbell OF
(@michael-s-campbell-of)

Thankyou Katht for replying and adding a little to the knowledge tree. Youy can E.Mail me at campbellms@xtra.co.nz

MikeC

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 February, 2004 9:26 am
Share: