Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

heberley/te wai  

RSS
cat OF
(@cat-of)

I am searching for ancestors of Maata Te Wai E Naehi who married James 'Worser' Heberley and families with Woodgate conections (1800's)
Malbrough area. In particular I need TeWai's family

Posted : 01 November, 2003 10:30 pm
karlgreenf OF
(@karlgreenf-of)

Cat

Are you still looking for this info?

Te Wai/Worser were my gggg grandparents - I am descended fom their first child Mary Anne (Margaret) Heberley then through the Woodgate and Ross families.

I can send you a copy of my family tree in Gedcom or HTML format - this only shows my direct line of descent - it includes the names of Te Wai's g grandparents - if you are interested in particular individuals - I have some other documents I can scan in - please let me know what you are seeking.

Regards
Karl Greenfield

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 November, 2003 10:09 am
karlgreenf OF
(@karlgreenf-of)

Cat

Te Wai/Worser were my gggg grandparents - I am descended fom their first child Mary Anne (Margaret) Heberley then through the Woodgate and Ross families.

I can send you a copy of my family tree in Gedcom or HTML format - this only shows my direct line of descent - it includes the names of Te Wai's g grandparents - if you are interested in particular individuals - I have some other documents I can scan in - please let me know what you are seeking.

Regards
Karl Greenfield

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 November, 2003 10:10 am
karlgreenf OF
(@karlgreenf-of)

Cat

Regards
Karl Greenfield

ReplyQuote
karlgreenf OF
(@karlgreenf-of)

Cat

Regards
Karl Greenfield

ReplyQuote
Freespirited1 OF
(@freespirited1-of)

Te Wai/Worser were my gggg grandparents. I am descended from thier 2nd child John Heberley. I have no information on Te Wai what so ever. I would love to know about her, and her family etc. Can anyone help me

Trace

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 November, 2003 11:24 pm
Freespirited1 OF
(@freespirited1-of)

Te Wai/Worser were my gggg grandparents. I am descended from thier 2nd child John Heberley. I have no information on Te Wai what so ever. I would love to know about her, and her family etc. Can anyone help me

Trace

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 November, 2003 11:25 pm
Freespirited1 OF
(@freespirited1-of)

Trace here again 🙂 Having trouble posting this message ... re: Te wai/Worser
My emaily addy is Tracy_R@free.net.nz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 November, 2003 11:36 pm
karlgreenf OF
(@karlgreenf-of)

Tracy/All

Great to hear from you! - Like yourselves I am very pleased to hear from cousins who share my interest in the family history.

I was always interested in my maori heritage since childhood - partly because it seemed so exotic since I was raised in the UK - unfortunately I have only recently discovered the exact nature of my whakapapa.

The problem with being in the UK is that most people do not even know what a "maori" is - let alone any details - e.g. it is almost impossible to get a te reo dictionary here, even with the internet, and as for any iwi or whakapapa info - forget it (until recently with some stuff available online).

Unfortunately - my grandfather died when I was a child and none of my uncles or aunts knew anything about our whakapapa.

I spent several years trawling on the internet armed with the fact that grandad was called Owen Greenfield and had been born in Wellington - I guessed he may have been from Te Atiawa, due to where he was born, but got nowhere, until I bumped into Neville Gilmour on the 'net, who had the full story and to whom I am very grateful.

I am attaching 3 pages concerning Worser that were found in grandad's effects when he died - it seems that, as seems to be the fashion in NZ - Worser had all his land stolen by the government.

Grandad had these documents to help him claim some of his land back at one time or another (must have been prior to 1983 when he died) - presumably unsuccessfully since we do not own any land in NZ now! 🙂

From what I can deduce - grandad seems to have become disillusioned with the opportunites for him in NZ and come over to the UK in the second world war - he later returned to NZ with the family in the 60's to look at living in maori housing???? (does anyone know what this is about?) - but decided against it and returned to the UK.

His children then dispersed around the world - leaving "our lot" to settle in Wales.

Curiously - my mother's (Welsh) side of the family also had their "rangatiratanga" taken by "the crown", and their "whenua raupatu" 1000 years ago when their kingdoms in Wales were overthrown - some things never change...

I can't help thinking that if there was a bit more publicity in the UK about what has happened in NZ regarding the maori land - there would be an uproar! - "the crown" would have a very hard job convincing UK citizens that they should not hand it back with apologies and compensation - I have sent a letter to the BBC asking why the situation is not given adequate coverage - but no reply.

I am currently scanning in 10 pages of maori land court minutes relating to Heberleys - I will send these to Tracy later since she has requested them this is likely to be at least 5mb - if anyone else wants them please let me know (I don't want to clog your inboxes unnecessarily).

Lloyd - thanks very much for sending those links - the DNZB one you sent was very useful, and not the one I had seen before - they even had some info on Wellington Greenfield's in the Turnbull index!

Happy New Year!

Regards
Karl Greenfield

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 January, 2004 4:14 am
karlgreenf OF
(@karlgreenf-of)

Here is the second batch of land court documents...

So - this seems to show that Te Wai's three sons Jacob John and Henry Heberley (and none of her daughters for some reason?) were given a "Crown Grant" of the land and that this later went into the hands of a "George Beetham".

What this means now that the Waitangi Tribunal has shown that Te Wai/Worser's land was never sold to the crown - I don't know? - maybe the thousands of acres that must still belong to Te Wai/ Worser and his descendants will be shared out amongst his descendants? - though somehow I doubt it.

Regards
Karl Greenfield

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 January, 2004 8:11 am
karlgreenf OF
(@karlgreenf-of)

My email address is

karlgreenf@aol.com

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 January, 2004 8:19 am
Share: