Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

AREKA, Riki Mataurangi  

RSS
My Island Home OWC
(@my-island-home-owc)

I AM LOOKING FOR MY FATHERS IWI. MY FATHER DIED IN 1989 AND HIS LIFE WAS A COMPLETE MYSTERY TO HIS FAMILY. HE DID NOT KNOW WHO HIS FATHER WAS BECAUSE HE WAS LIED TO ALL HIS LIFE.

I NEED TO KNOW NOW WHO HE WAS AND IF ANYONE KNEW HIM AND CAN TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT HIM.

OR HOW I CAN FIND OUT

MANY THANKS

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 08 2005 12:08:29 AM

Posted : 04 December, 2004 1:25 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora My Island Home

Try and get the full birth certificate of your father, as that may have his father's name on it. It may also have an iwi listed as some do.

Do you know your Father's mother's name? If so, add that to this post as that may help people to make the connection.

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 December, 2004 1:15 pm
My Island Home OWC
(@my-island-home-owc)

Thank you Poutokomanawa

I do not know his mothers name but I will try to get dads full birth certificate.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 December, 2004 11:15 am
My Island Home OWC
(@my-island-home-owc)

My dad used the surname Areke, some of us used Ariki but I am told it was changed to Areke from Alex because of family misunderstandings. Dad's dad was apparently Dick Alex from Toi Toi way and when he died he left dad a lot of the land in Toi Toi and Whangarei but dad gave it away because he was told that Dick Alex wasn't his real father. My dad felt betrayed and didn't want anything from Dick Alex.

That is about all I know about my dad, other than he was in the 28th Maori Battalion. He lied about his age because he wanted to go with his mates to fight.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2004 2:14 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora ano My Island Home,

A good place to find info would be in the Maori Land Court Records, for the succession order that was made when your dad inherited from Dick Alex. These records will have the witnesses who testified for the successions, as well as what was said at the time and if anyone objected. It will also name if there were any others who succeeded and the relationships.

If you know a rough date of death, then it makes the tracking through the Maori Land Court records easier.

Then there would also be the MLC (Maori Land court) records for when your dad passed the land on.

could you also give us the name of your father and brothers and sisters he had, if known.

Kia kaha, be strong

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Dec 19 2004 1:31:26 PM

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2004 2:25 pm
My Island Home OWC
(@my-island-home-owc)

Kia Ora Poutokomanawa

Thank you for your leads, actually I think my dads sisters name if she was my dads sister is Lena Para, she married Fred Para so I don't know what her surname was because I don't know what dad's exact surname was.

So what would I do with that information now about dads sister?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 December, 2004 10:00 am
My Island Home OWC
(@my-island-home-owc)

Sorry I haven't got a clue about dads father's date of death but I vaguely remember the story going that dad was around 21 years of age when he was told that Dick Alex or Alec was not his real father and dad was born in 1924. I doubt if that will help, maybe!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 December, 2004 10:04 am
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

So could 1945 be about when your dad gave the land away - end of world war two?

Also, do you know who he gave it to as they may be able to help you also

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 December, 2004 1:37 pm
My Island Home OWC
(@my-island-home-owc)

I think it was at the end of the war when he got back from Egypt but I haven't got a clue who he gave it to, I think maybe it was his family but I doubt if they would be obliging as to surrender any information because apparently someone has been recieving a sort of government payment for this land. I really don't know, it is just what I have heard through the grapevine. I would only want to know so I could find out who my Dad really was and who his dad was.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 December, 2004 4:09 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

If you go to http://www.whitepages.co.nz and in Name put Para and in region put New Zealand you will get the listings of the Para Whanau. There is a F Para living in Whangarei listed, so that could be Fred. You could contact them and talk to Lena - she maybe able to shed light on the question

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 December, 2004 4:30 pm
Share: