Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

ASHBY, James 1834 Maidstone Kent  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Lil OWC
(@lil-owc)

Just wanting information on my tupuna...
His name is James Ashby born abt 1834 and married Ellen Stone in 1858 both are from Maidstone Kent England. My gggrandfather is their son who name is John William Ashby B:1859 and married a maori wahine and her name is Rihi/Elizabeth Herepo, they married in Oramahoe. They had a few kids, one of them was my ggrandmother, her name is Sue Ashby who married Tohe Waiomio.
Does anyone know of James and Ellen, how they travelled here or has anyone have any photo's of them or their kids especially John and his wife Rihi. Any info on any of my nga tupuna will be awesome.
Warm regards
Lillian

Posted : 09 August, 2005 6:37 am
dandan2 OWC
(@dandan2-owc)

kiaora
i do know james and allen have a family photo at there home stead in mirander heaps of kids
for more info 094041455

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 August, 2005 8:43 pm
Lil OWC
(@lil-owc)

Kia ora dandan2,
thanks for email, I emailed you back and also rang you so I'm looking forward to speaking to you about our ancestors, thanks again.
Warm regards

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 August, 2005 7:25 pm
Lil OWC
(@lil-owc)

Kia ora dandan2,
Awesome meeting you and ur husband and ur sister as well, thankyou again for the information and the photo of my gggrandparents that was a buzz and my mother is also grateful, she wants to thankyou from the bottom of her heart.
Anyway cuzz, I shall luv u and leave u, till we meet again (16 sept). p.s: tell ur husband how is he doing with the research on james and ellen? and I'm enjoying the video...of the reunion... I luv the old clothes back then..lol.
Warm regards Lilly

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 August, 2005 10:55 pm
Hazel Ashby OWC
(@hazel-ashby-owc)

Kia Ora Lil,
My name is Hazel Ashby. I too have been trying to get information about John William Ashby who is also my gggrandfather. My ggrandfather is Wiri Meeke Ashby. I am trying to gather this information for my father Gordon Thomas Ashby, he is the only child of Thomas/Tame Leslie Ashby and Hazel Sarah Ashby(nee Yorke). My father has a photo of John and Rihi but he would like more info especially when he first came to Aotearoa. Can you help me or point me in the right direction.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12 January, 2006 2:13 pm
holman OWC
(@holman-owc)

quote:

Kia Ora Lil,
My name is Hazel Ashby. I too have been trying to get information about John William Ashby who is also my gggrandfather. My ggrandfather is Wiri Meeke Ashby. I am trying to gather this information for my father Gordon Thomas Ashby, he is the only child of Thomas/Tame Leslie Ashby and Hazel Sarah Ashby(nee Yorke). My father has a photo of John and Rihi but he would like more info especially when he first came to Aotearoa. Can you help me or point me in the right direction.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 24 March, 2006 5:50 pm
holman OWC
(@holman-owc)

ki ora lil,hazel and other whanua,

My name is Mata, I have the list of names of children born to John & Rihi, it goes, William,Walter, Dick, Alice,Thomas,Ngaoni, Jack (my grandfather),Hira,James,Sue,Alfred. Rihi was a widow when she met and married John. She was 22 he 23. Does anyone know who Rihi was married to before John and did she have any children? I have a bad copy of the pair of them, taken from the original. My mother looked exactly like Rihi. She had ginger/red hair when she was young. My gfather looked like his father. hope this helps

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25 March, 2006 6:25 pm
bFORCe OWC
(@bforce-owc)

HI there,I may know someone who has info on this tipuna you guy's seek.Get in touch with me.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 April, 2006 8:30 pm
Annetta OWC
(@annetta-owc)

James Ashbys whanau homestead can be found at a place called Tapapakanga in the Kaiaua area of Hauraki. My Dad said it was a beautiful old homestead. My Dad (Lewis Williams) is the son of Polly and Hareruia Williams. Polly is the daughter of Jack and Heni Ashby. Jack is the son of John Jack (Ngatotorewa) Ashby and Rihi Ashby (nee Herepo). My name is Annetta Huriwaka.
My brother and sisterinlaw, Daniel & Jacqueline Williams who live in Kawakawa have lots and lots of information for whanau researching the Ashby lines.
Nga mihi ki a koutou o te whanau Ashby

Edited by - Annetta on May 30 2006 10:46:34 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 May, 2006 10:41 pm
Isabel OWC
(@isabel-owc)

Kia ora te whanau,
My name is Isabel Hartley, 2nd eldest daughter of Awhina Heni(Janie) and Peretahi Henry. My mum is the eldest daughter of Hareruia and Polly Rangimarie Williams. My nanny is the eldest daughter of John Jack Ngatotorewa and Awhina Heni Ashby. John Jack is the middle son of John Ashby and Rihi. His parents never came to New Zealand until He decided to marry as what they called it back then a native girl Rihi. There is a story to that as well. I have quite abit of info on our Ashby whanau and photo's. From the boat John Ashby came over in at 16yrs to the first train track he laid for the railways. The info that our cuzzies Daniel, Jackie and Annetta have is some of it I gave over. Email me and I will get in touch with you all. Looking forward to sharing the stories with you
Nga mihi kia koutou te whanau
Isabel

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 February, 2007 4:58 pm
holman OWC
(@holman-owc)

quote:

Kia ora te whanau,
My name is Isabel Hartley, 2nd eldest daughter of Awhina Heni(Janie) and Peretahi Henry. My mum is the eldest daughter of Hareruia and Polly Rangimarie Williams. My nanny is the eldest daughter of John Jack Ngatotorewa and Awhina Heni Ashby. John Jack is the middle son of John Ashby and Rihi. His parents never came to New Zealand until He decided to marry as what they called it back then a native girl Rihi. There is a story to that as well. I have quite abit of info on our Ashby whanau and photo's. From the boat John Ashby came over in at 16yrs to the first train track he laid for the railways. The info that our cuzzies Daniel, Jackie and Annetta have is some of it I gave over. Email me and I will get in touch with you all. Looking forward to sharing the stories with you
Isabel

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 August, 2007 9:20 am
holman OWC
(@holman-owc)

quote:

Kia ora te whanau,
Isabel

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 August, 2007 9:23 am
holman OWC
(@holman-owc)

[quote]
Kia ora te whanau,

Hello isabel and annetta. Your parents are my first cousins. I havnt seen Janie since I was very young, she will know me as one of untee moko or Margret's kids who was married to Nooroa. I last saw my aunty Polly before I moved over to Australia 17yrs ago, how time flys. Most of my brothers and sisters live here in Australia. At last count there was at least 30 whanau here. I would be interested in sharing your stories of our family. Mata

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 August, 2007 9:31 am
maysplace@actrix.co.nz OWC
(@maysplaceactrix-co-nz-owc)

quote:

James Ashbys whanau homestead can be found at a place called Tapapakanga in the Kaiaua area of Hauraki. My Dad said it was a beautiful old homestead. My Dad (Lewis Williams) is the son of Polly and Hareruia Williams. Polly is the daughter of Jack and Heni Ashby. Jack is the son of John Jack (Ngatotorewa) Ashby and Rihi Ashby (nee Herepo). My name is Annetta Huriwaka.
My brother and sisterinlaw, Daniel & Jacqueline Williams who live in Kawakawa have lots and lots of information for whanau researching the Ashby lines.
Nga mihi ki a koutou o te whanau Ashby

Edited by - Annetta on May 30 2006 10:46:34 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 February, 2008 2:51 pm
maysplace@actrix.co.nz OWC
(@maysplaceactrix-co-nz-owc)

quote:

quote:

Kia ora te whanau,
Isabel

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 February, 2008 2:53 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: