Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

BAKER, Bert or PEKA-BAKER, Percy or BAKER, Te Hira Percy  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
MaraeaB OWC
(@maraeab-owc)

Kia ora everyone

I keep hitting brick walls when trying to trace my fathers whanau. My grandfather had many variations of his name and my dad, though he has been known as Ben all of his life, his legal name is Rawiri! My dad has a brother named Bert but it is my grandfather I'm trying to trace. Everything that I've found (and there's not that much), indicates that he is from Mahia (is descendant of Mere Bartlett and John Baker), but that is all I know. Your help would be much appreciated.

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 07 2005 10:08:40 PM

Posted : 19 November, 2004 2:06 pm
poutokomanawa
(@poutokomanawa)
Trusted Member

Kia ora MaraeaB,

Most of the Baker whanau I know of are from north, but there is a book called "Behind the Tattooed Face" written by Heretaunga Pat Baker, who from memory is from the Coast / Ngati Kahungunu area, so if you can find a copy of the book in a library maybe it will have a bio of the author, which will help you a bit more

Nau te raurau,
Naku te raurau,
Ka ora ai nga tangata!
--------------------------------
Together we will get there!
--------------------------------

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18 December, 2004 4:20 pm
Mozzie OWC
(@mozzie-owc)

quote:

Kia ora everyone

I keep hitting brick walls when trying to trace my fathers whanau. My grandfather had many variations of his name and my dad, though he has been known as Ben all of his life, his legal name is Rawiri! My dad has a brother named Bert but it is my grandfather I'm trying to trace. Everything that I've found (and there's not that much), indicates that he is from Mahia (is descendant of Mere Bartlett and John Baker), but that is all I know. Your help would be much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 January, 2005 10:39 am
Mozzie OWC
(@mozzie-owc)

quote:

Kia ora MaraeaB,

Most of the Baker whanau I know of are from north, but there is a book called "Behind the Tattooed Face" written by Heretaunga Pat Baker, who from memory is from the Coast / Ngati Kahungunu area, so if you can find a copy of the book in a library maybe it will have a bio of the author, which will help you a bit more

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 January, 2005 11:08 am
Mozzie OWC
(@mozzie-owc)

quote:

quote:

Kia ora MaraeaB,

Ignore last 2 posts, porangi kaupapa mo tenei rorohiko.

Go to www.familysearch.org click on link for "Search for Ancestors" enter "Mere Bartlett" in first name last name fields hit enter and enjoy.

PS: Don't forget to scroll down and click on "Submitters details" link to get contact names and addresses.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 January, 2005 11:38 am
Jodie OWC
(@jodie-owc)

Hi,

Just a quickie to let you know that Pat Baker, the author, died in 1988 and was from Whakatohea up in Opotiki. If I can find anything else out for you, I will let you know. Good luck with your search.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 January, 2005 12:54 am
pearlau OWC
(@pearlau-owc)

Tena koe MareaB

Hope that the link Mozzie gave you has been of some help. But as Poutokomanawa, has noted that there are Bakers residing in the north. This is true - I am from the north, and the Baker whanau I know are living in the Kaikohe - Taheke - Horeke (Hokianga) areas. I am not able to tell you wether the whanau originates from those areas or wether it was through marriage.
Good luck

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 January, 2005 11:44 am
junie OWC
(@junie-owc)

Hello Maraea B. There is a Mrs Peka at Orizaba Cres, Rockingham, Perth WA, who has an extensive PEKA family tree. I do not know her email address but you should pick up a phone number/street number thru the Australian White Pages. The Peka family she is related to, are from Mahia. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 January, 2005 9:06 pm
iwituha OWC
(@iwituha-owc)

Kia ora Whanau, there is a PEKA / PEKE /BAGS whanau from hauraki - Ngati Paoa Ngati Horowhenua hapu and Ngati Hako. Some of that whanau are connected to the east coast because of internmarriage from the ancestor Tamihana Horowhenua (Bags), I think that the whanau also carries Rawiri in it somewhere but would have to connect you with them to investigate further.

Mauri ora

Tipa

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 February, 2005 4:59 pm
MaraeaB OWC
(@maraeab-owc)

Kia ora whanau, I have managed to track down some information relating to my BARTLETT family tree but still having problems with my BAKER side from Mahia. Can only keep searching I suppose. But thanks to everyone for their help - is all very much appreciated.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 March, 2005 9:56 pm
Mozzie OWC
(@mozzie-owc)

Kia ora ano MaraeaB,

Did you manage to get addresses from link I posted earlier as it will tell you that Mere Bartlett married "Jack" (possibly another name for John) Baker from Mahia. He was born about 1873 in Mahia. The submitter of this info left an address you could contact to get rest of Baker side from. Also Mere's father Thomas and mother Mere Tauira Teito may have been buried at Bartletts property in Gisborne in 1927.

Hope this helps,

Mozzie

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05 April, 2005 1:00 am
Sharn Baker OWC
(@sharn-baker-owc)

Kia ora, my partner is a member of the Baker Whanau from Mahia. My partners grandfather is Tawhairiri Baker and his mother was Meretauira Bartlett. Tawhai has since passed on but when he was alive he always used to speak of being from Portland Island at Mahia. There is also a whakapap book on the Baker's floating around somewhere.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 August, 2005 3:23 pm
Sharn Baker OWC
(@sharn-baker-owc)

Kia ora ano, made a mistake in my last posting.
Tawhairiri Baker was a Dewes and it was Tawhairiri's father (Sonny Baker) whose mother was Meretauira Bartlett. Sorry about that.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 August, 2005 12:59 pm
wyllie OWC
(@wyllie-owc)

There are Baker's in Te Kuiti and Waimana. They maybe related as well.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 August, 2005 9:37 pm
lionel OWC
(@lionel-owc)

kia ora my name is lionel Edmonds i am also trying to trace my baker whanau as well

my great grand father Manihera Ki Edmonds Married Kii Baker from up north Ngati Hine around Ngawha Kerkeri area....... they had a son Te Irimana Eddie Ngapera Edmonds my grand father.....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 January, 2006 10:11 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: