Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

BERRYMAN, William, Te Waiehu, William, Stanley children  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
toosick OWC
(@toosick-owc)

Kia Ora,
Need some help in finding my husbands great-grandfather and great-grandmother. Have some information on his wife Huingatini Te Taniwha but would like to be in contact with more of the extended family to share information. William and Huingatini lived in Pukekohe. Huingatini was married after that to a Henry Hall. William was surposedly a police officer in Pukekohe but am uncertain as to how you find information out about past police officers so that I can check to see if that information is correct. William spent his earlier days in New Zealand in a place called Pipiriki from what we have been told and he came to New Zealand from Cornwall in England. They had 3 children their names were Stanley, Te Waiehu and William Arthur. Would be great to connect with anyone with a connection with this family. Karen Berryman

Posted : 08 December, 2005 2:52 pm
ikaptm OWC
(@ikaptm-owc)

Kia ora Karen

We have researched our kuia Te Huingatini over the years and so I can understand your frustration. I'm happy to share what little we have gained.

Te Huingatini (also known as Te Moetu)

1st marraige ?
2nd marriage Constable William Berryman
- Stanley Mohi (aka Mohi Peremene)
- Bill Wiri (aka Wiri Peremene)
- Te Waiehu Te Wehi
3rd marriage Henry Hall
5 children from this marriage

According to 'temple records' William Berryman was first married to LILIAN SNOWDEN, whom he 'returned' to when she found out about the "2nd family!"

good luck and I'd be interested in anything you could share re Te Huingatini. By the way I come from one of the 'Hall/Borell' lines

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 December, 2005 8:49 pm
toosick OWC
(@toosick-owc)

Kia Ora, (Ikaptm)
Thank you for your reply about William and Huingatini. The Lilian Snowden you mention here as far as I am aware was not married to William Berryman, but to his son Stanley Mohi. I have searched the records and have found a marriage certificate for Stanley Mohi Berryman and Lilian Snowden. Prior to Stanley Mohi Berryman marrying Lilian he had a family to Te Oke Tarawhiti from Huntly. They had a large family. However, at some point Stanley left Te Oke for Lilian and they married and had a family too. One of those children was Andrew Berryman. During his teenage years he went to live with his father's first family and first wife in Huntly and was brought up by her. I say first wife but we have not yet been able to find a marriage certificate for Stanley Mohi and his first wife, we presume that they where married in the traditional Maori way with out formal documentation.
Also did you get your information from the records on family search?
Keep in touch...Karen

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 December, 2005 1:27 am
ikaptm OWC
(@ikaptm-owc)

well now isn't that interesting.

According to my notes...
MAORI LAND COURT MINUTES; "Const Berryman was with a Waikato woman 'Te Moetu' but upon his first wife finding out about her, he (Berryman) returned to the first wife and after a while Henare Te Maanga took Te Moetu as his wife."

The minutes go on to record the children of that 'marriage' as Wiri Perimana, Karangi and Mata

And just to confirm, the 'temple records' & land court minutes were via library archives and not the internet.

So... the most obvious seems to be 'Lilian Snowden...mmm I wonder if there were 2 Lilians???
intriguing , frustrating ,

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 December, 2005 11:11 pm
toosick OWC
(@toosick-owc)

Kia Ora,
Was the Waikato woman "Te Moetu" also known as Huingatini Te Taniwha? And do you know if Henare Te Maanga was also known as Henry Hall? Also you speak of Maori Land Court Minutes are they accessible on the internet or do you have to go to a specific library in New Zealand?
I have the Death certificate for Stanley Mohi Berryman and his parents are listed as Andrew Berryman and Huingatini Te Taniwha from Pukekohe. We were thinking perhaps who ever gave the information got the name wrong because we had always been told that Stanley's father was William Berryman. Maybe I will have to get another one of the siblings death certificates to clarify the name. Keep in touch this is quite intrigueing!! Karen

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 December, 2005 1:38 am
ikaptm OWC
(@ikaptm-owc)

Well yes... we beleive Te Moetu is our kuia Te Huingatini.

Henare Hall aka Henara Te Maanga or to us Hurimaunga Hall. But his children were also known by Hall, Te Maanga, Henare, and Te Wehi. These names were listed on our land papers in reference to land shares held in Taupo.

Mohi Te Taniwha - Ngati Apakura
Makereta (aka Te Waiehu) Akarauti - Ngati Takapuanganga
are Te Huingatini parents and she had 6 siblings.

As for the minutes being accessible by net, I know some are but the ones I'm referring to we accessed in the library archives at the Auckland Library and Hamilton Library... this was done approx 6 years ago and none of us were very proficient with a pc back then hence a visit to the library.

Now as for Andrew Berryman... do you have a birth cert for William? I wonder if he is William Andrew Berryman?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 14 December, 2005 9:58 pm
toosick OWC
(@toosick-owc)

As far as we are aware William Berryman (constable) came from Cornwall in England. I have been searching without success so far for his connection to a family in Cornwall. It is quite frustrating when you do not know any of the other siblings or the parents names. I have checked some shipping records and have tried searching the list of people naturalised to become New Zealand citizens, I thought perhaps to be a constable he would have to have been naturalised, but unfortunately his name does not appear on any of the recorded information. I was told by family memebers that he is buried in Pukekohe. I have tried to access burial records in the libraries in Perth but have not been successfull in finding any further information. But the search continues...I have looked in the records for New Zealand deaths and did find a William Berryman and I requested the death certificate but it was not him. None of the vital information correlated. Well at least we know that is 'one' William Berryman that our ancestor is not. Do you have the names of Huingatini's other 6 siblings, that would be great...thanks toosick

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 April, 2006 12:41 am
SIENNA OWC
(@sienna-owc)

quote:

As far as we are aware William Berryman (constable) came from Cornwall in England. I have been searching without success so far for his connection to a family in Cornwall. It is quite frustrating when you do not know any of the other siblings or the parents names. I have checked some shipping records and have tried searching the list of people naturalised to become New Zealand citizens, I thought perhaps to be a constable he would have to have been naturalised, but unfortunately his name does not appear on any of the recorded information. I was told by family memebers that he is buried in Pukekohe. I have tried to access burial records in the libraries in Perth but have not been successfull in finding any further information. But the search continues...I have looked in the records for New Zealand deaths and did find a William Berryman and I requested the death certificate but it was not him. None of the vital information correlated. Well at least we know that is 'one' William Berryman that our ancestor is not. Do you have the names of Huingatini's other 6 siblings, that would be great...thanks toosick

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 May, 2006 8:09 pm
SIENNA OWC
(@sienna-owc)

quote:

quote:

DALVANIUS PRIME IS ALSO A BERRYMAN OTHERWISE PERE

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09 May, 2006 8:13 pm
azzarian
(@azzarian)

Hi there toosick...
Have you thought about emailing the Franklin District Council as they may be able to locate the grave through council records, if the person you are looking for was burried in one of the Cemeteries looked after by the council.
Website is www.franklin.govt.nz

I managed to locate a family members grave who was burried in Papakura just by contacting the local Council.

I was reading through your post and I noticed your mentioned that you had a death certificate, did you get a copy of the actual certificate or did you get a copy of the electronic printout?

The electronic print out will give you more information eg: tell you who gave the information to BDM. I have found the electronic print out's usefull.

just so information for you.

cheers

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 October, 2006 10:38 am
manu_tekowhai@hotmail.com OWC
(@manu_tekowhaihotmail-com-owc)

Kia ora Karen
I noted that you mentioned PIPIRIKI, was a place that William Berryman first lived. The PIPIRIKI that I know of is up the Wanganui river.This particular information would still link to Dalvanius[who was known as Prime].In the days of our Tupuna, alot of them were taken captive, by Nga Puhi, Waikato and Tuwharetoa, and settled in those faraway district from their original Iwi.
I found one of my Kuia buried at Te Kawakawa Bay Church urupa..Hauraki Bay. Our Taranaki whanau are well aware of our displacement, and we do have to search further afield for our Whakapapa.
Good Luck though, Kare.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 30 October, 2006 11:20 am
toosick OWC
(@toosick-owc)

Kia Ora Ruk's,
Thanks for the information on finding William Berryman's burial place through the local council. Will check out the site and let you know how I go.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 October, 2006 12:31 am
toosick OWC
(@toosick-owc)

Kia Ora Manu tekowhai,
Yes, that is the Pipiriki spoken of by my family. I will have to search a little bit more in depth to find out wether there are other family connections to that area. As far as I know William and his wife Hui ngatini Te Taniwha also lived in Pukekohe and one of their children settled in Huntly, where a lot of the Berryman family come from.
Toosick

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 October, 2006 12:41 am
kaybee OWC
(@kaybee-owc)

quote:

Kia Ora,
Need some help in finding my husbands great-grandfather and great-grandmother. Have some information on his wife Huingatini Te Taniwha but would like to be in contact with more of the extended family to share information. William and Huingatini lived in Pukekohe. Huingatini was married after that to a Henry Hall. William was surposedly a police officer in Pukekohe but am uncertain as to how you find information out about past police officers so that I can check to see if that information is correct. William spent his earlier days in New Zealand in a place called Pipiriki from what we have been told and he came to New Zealand from Cornwall in England. They had 3 children their names were Stanley, Te Waiehu and William Arthur. Would be great to connect with anyone with a connection with this family. Karen Berryman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 February, 2008 1:29 am
kaybee OWC
(@kaybee-owc)

quote:

Kia Ora,

ReplyQuote
Posted : 19 February, 2008 1:29 am
Page 1 / 2
Share: