Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

BISHOP,PEETI TUMANGO RANGI (LADDY): FROM WANGANUI  

Page 1 / 2
  RSS
Alandia OWC
(@alandia-owc)

KIA ORA,
Trying to find any whakapapa on my Great-Grandfather's whanau, (Peeti Tumango Rangi Bishop otherwise called Laddy). He was married to nana Nua. My great-grandparents had a large whanau. Their eldest son is called Te Wano Bishop who now lives in Auckland.

I was told the whanau is from Raetihi,wanganui area. From Te Atihauni a paparangi tribe. The whanau marea is believed to be Putiki marea.

Any information is very much appreciated.

KIA ORA.

Posted : 13 January, 2006 6:15 pm
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

Who are your parents, is Wano your koro, I know your whanau very well, on both sides. I usually stay with your Aunty Aileen in Whanganui, whenever I decide to stay a night there. You shall have no problem finding info, if you want to contact Aileen, let me know and I will ring her for you or give you her phone number.
kiaora
Kiriwai

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 April, 2006 3:00 pm
Alandia OWC
(@alandia-owc)

Yes my Koro is Wano, my mother is Lynette she is his secound youngest daughter.I would be greatful for any info i can get. As I don't really know any of my koro's whanau on either side except for the immediate whanau that live in Auckland.
Kia Ora
Alandia

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02 April, 2006 3:09 pm
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

quote:

Yes my Koro is Wano, my mother is Lynette she is his secound youngest daughter.I would be greatful for any info i can get. As I don't really know any of my koro's whanau on either side except for the immediate whanau that live in Auckland.
Kia Ora
Alandia

Kia ora
your Koro and I are first cousins, our mothers are sisters, they shared the same mum, but different fathers, my mum was from the 2nd marriage, they have no more brothers or sisters left now, the last of the line a brother&sister, died 2004-2005 both were in their 90s, but their is one sister-in-law left. On uncle laddy's side well because I was brought up in Raetihi after moving from (Taihape where my father's whanau is from), Uncle Laddy had a few brothers and sisters living there and thats how I know them very well. Somebody else from the whanau may want to add on from here. Both sides of the whanau is huge, So stay in touch.
kiaora
Kiriwai

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03 April, 2006 8:34 pm
clivet
(@clivet)

Kia Ora

Is this the same Te Wano as in Takahuri & Hinehoro Te Wano?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13 May, 2006 6:05 am
Leah5 OWC
(@leah5-owc)

Hello, I think you are my cousin. My dad is Percy Tumango Bishop. My dad died here in Australia in 1991 and not long after my nana Nua died. Your koro (Wano) is my my dads eldest brother. I dont know much about my dads family, but my mum Memory Bishop (maiden name: McKay) or my older brother will know much more. I'll keep in contact.
Le'ah

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 May, 2006 4:10 pm
Tiaki_nohi OWC
(@tiaki_nohi-owc)

Kia ora
We used to live next door to your koro in Carlton ave in Wanganui. He was working for the railways. I knew the younger ones quite well. If i can help with anything,buzz me. 😀

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 May, 2006 5:16 pm
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

For Alandia and Leah
Here is something that I found a while ago over the internet Mr R. P. Turoa
A direct descendant of one of the chiefs who signed the Treaty of Waitangi, Mr Rangi Bishop of Raetihi died recently.
Mr Bishop was related to Pehi Turoa, who was the paramount chief of the Whanganui River from 1815 to 1845.
Pehi's son was Pakore Turoa and his grandson Topia was one of the several New Zealand chiefs who met Queen Victoria when they visited England.
Mr Bishop whose full name was Rangiapohia Pihopa Turoa, played for the Raetihi Rugby Club and was a keen wrestler. He wrestled with Lofty Blomfield and Dave Scarrow in amateur bouts in Raetihi.
He was also a rough rider of note and broke in wild horses. In his younger days, Mr Bishop owned some of the best show jumpers in the country.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 May, 2006 10:02 pm
kiriwai
(@kiriwai)

this was taken from one of the old Maori News magazines way back in the 60's when I remember the name of the book, I'll put it in.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 May, 2006 10:05 pm
Alandia OWC
(@alandia-owc)

quote:

this was taken from one of the old Maori News magazines way back in the 60's when I remember the name of the book, I'll put it in.

Yes, I also found that information on the net as well. Do you by any chance have any more info on the family besides this.The only info I have is basicaly of just the immediate whanau that live up here in auckland.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 May, 2006 10:13 pm
Meihana
(@meihana)

Kia Ora Alandia, I to am researching the same whanau I believe Te Wano had three brothers and three sisters “Tukahui” is my great grandmother her son “Wairua Joker Makatea” married “Ngatano Rupuha” My Kuia from Otoko Pa. I would like to learn any as I can about “Tukahui” such as her full name, birth/death date, Father/mother’s first & last name.

I’m unsure if “Parakiwai” is Takahuri’s last name.

I have a little whakapapa on each her brothers and sisters (Te Kahu, Te Kata, Mere, Te Hira and Te Oro Kairakau - No Info on this person.

Sorry I have one name for “Te Wano” which I think you have “Hinehoro”

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 October, 2006 12:39 am
Meihana
(@meihana)

Sorry spelling mistake (Takahuri)

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07 October, 2006 3:50 pm
Alandia OWC
(@alandia-owc)

Hi Rockmin, My koro Te Wano is stilll alive and he lives in Auckland but as far as i am aware of hes from a huge family,from what i can remember of it there is all up 12 children including my koro Te Wano.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 October, 2006 12:15 pm
teurumanao OWC
(@teurumanao-owc)

Kia ora Alandia

You do have a big whanau with connections throughout the River, as you describe Putiki and Te Puke Marae in Raetihi. If you want to find out about your Whanganui connections check out www.wrmtb.co.nz and www.kahuimaunga.com.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 29 December, 2006 9:34 pm
tm OWC
(@tm-owc)

Kia Ora

Your Great grandfather married my Nana's youngerst sister.Uncle Laddy we called him.Remember him putting those bags on the buses.We use to go back too our mum and say to her "Your uncle is a crumpy old bugger",lol.Yes they too have a very large whanau.Your nana was beautiful just like her sister.Unfortunately on your greatgrand mother side that generation have now passed on.My beautiful Nana passed in 2004 at the age of 92 and the last one left uncle Wingo died 1 month after her at the age of 93.And yes you will find all the info you need in Wanganui.Enjoy.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11 February, 2007 9:54 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: