Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

BROTT, Eliza Christina  

RSS
grumpysmith OWC
(@grumpysmith-owc)

eliza christina brott was half caste maori girl who worked in mansion house for sir george grey until marrying james francis smith about 1859. Their son, john henry smith married georgina simms (born okaihau in 1880's) Can anyone help with info on Eliza's whanau, hapu ,iwi, wkakapapa?

Edited by - poutokomanawa on Mar 07 2005 10:18:08 PM

Posted : 06 December, 2004 9:52 am
menaferris
(@menaferris)

John Brott, Eliza's father is thought to have come from America. Ann Elizabeth O'Brien, her mother was from Tauranga, born 1844, very young when she met John

ReplyQuote
Posted : 17 December, 2004 1:18 am
Tanya Brott OWC
(@tanya-brott-owc)

Kia Ora - Do you have a photo of Eliza Christina? I have photos of George William, Adam William and John - they are White to Olive skinned, most with light coloured eyes and no Maori features. I have also been unable to locate an O'Brien family in either Tauranga/Northland that intermarried with Maori in the early 1840's. If someone knows something different I will be interested to hear.

Edited by - Tanya Brott on Jul 24 2006 10:20:31 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 April, 2005 9:09 pm
paula lunjevich
(@paula-lunjevich)

Kia ora - Our whanau are still trying to trace Eliza Christina Brott. Information above from "grumpysmith". We suspect she was adopted by the brott family. I have been told she was never registered and therefor had trouble receiveing the pension when she was older.
She married James Francis Smith in 8.7.1878.
in attendance were her father John Brott, matakana, also Mary Jane Whittingham, widow from parnell. Eliza's birth mother was Maori, Ngapuhi. Eliza is said to have died young.
Any info would be apreciated. Thanks Paula.Lunjevich@xtra.co.nz

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26 February, 2008 1:30 pm
paula lunjevich
(@paula-lunjevich)

kia ora- I was a bit mislead with the information I supplied above. Have since found out that Eliza Christina Brott was not adopted. We knew that she had a sister called lottie. From the information I have found on this site I think lottie was her sister charlotte, Kawhena who we thought was her sister was in fact her sister in law, married to George william brott. The information I have worked through brings me to this conclusion. James O'Brien (saddler, from America) married Ann O'Brien (Maori - we are still looking for this whanau). They had a daughter called Ann O'Brien, she married John Brott from Matakana. They had 9 children that I have found being, George William, John, Adam William, Agnes, ELIZA CHRISTINA, Louisa, Charlotte (lottie), Peter,and Elizabeth. George William married Kawhena hence the Pitman whanau. My G.G.G.Grandmother was ELIZA CHRISTINA, born 1864 who married James Francis Smith on 8.7.1878. (His parents were James Smith and Charlotte Purcell), Their children were Anton Francis (born 1978 matakino), James Nolan Smith (born 1879) and John Henry Smith, my great grandfather (Born 1880, married Georgina Mary Sims ) and we also have the name william but no other information about him. If anyone has any information to confirm this please email me.
I would like to get in touch with Mel Ferris, who may be part of the Dunn Whanau.

Thanks Paula Lunjevich.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 March, 2008 10:46 pm
paula lunjevich
(@paula-lunjevich)

I have just taced thru a reply I got from a member that all this information re eliza's siblings is correct. I have traced this through censis hardcopy on the surnamenavigator.org. site. I would still be interested in information on Ann O'Brien and her parents Ann and James OBrien. Also her husband John Brott. arohanui paula lunjevich

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 March, 2008 10:52 pm
Share: