Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Chief Waikato - Hikutu, Rangihoua  

RSS
NeilsonRameka OWC
(@neilsonrameka-owc)

Hello, I am researching my whakapapa and would like to know if anyone has any info on Chief Waikato from Te Hikutu who settled in Rangihoua. I am a descendant of Puhi, Waikato's brother. A couple of specific questions with regard to Waikato's sister/s and brothers. Does anyone have their names. I believe Waikatos sister to be Karuhi who married Phillip Tapsell and his brother to be Wharepoaka?

Sorry one other questions, why did Waikato go from the HOKIANGA too Rangihoua?

Many thanks

Edited by - Neilson/Rameka on Jul 28 2007 09:41:03 AM

Posted : 28 July, 2007 9:39 am
hohaia2 OWC
(@hohaia2-owc)
Eminent Member

I've recently found out that Chief Waikato was buried in Kororareka [Russell], most likely at the old historical Christ Church cemetery. There are a few unmarked graves there, so there's no kohatu marking his final resting place.
I was also told that Chief Waikato is portrayed on the old one shilling coin [10 cent coin] and most likely on the New Zealand Police insignia.
Chief Waikato's son was Mokaraka Waikato.
Chief Waikato was also known as Hohaia Parati [Parata] Waikato I believe.

Na Hohaia.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 July, 2007 2:25 pm
NeilsonRameka OWC
(@neilsonrameka-owc)

Hello, hohia2

Many thanks for the informative response, it is greatly appreciated. Do you have any further information/whakapapa, and can you confirm or deny that Wharepoaka is Waikato's brother?

Regards

Norman

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28 July, 2007 3:20 pm
Share: