Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

Dennis Cochrane  

RSS
alexofnz OWC
(@alexofnz-owc)

Hi,

I am trying to find out information relating to Dennis Cochrane and his wife/wives in early NZ. Dennis came from Ireland and was operating in the Bay of Islands/Hokianga in the early 1830s, his wife/wives however were Maori.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Alex.

Posted : 07 August, 2007 8:39 pm
ddblue
(@ddblue)

Kia ora Alex, What do you have so far? Try this link, God bless

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGLG,GGLG:2006-27,GGLG:en&q=Cochrane%2bDennis%2bBrown%2b1830%2bNZ

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 August, 2007 1:23 am
Mk2_Zephyr OWC
(@mk2_zephyr-owc)

Are you related ?

You have already posted on this.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 August, 2007 3:59 pm
alexofnz OWC
(@alexofnz-owc)

Hi,

Yes I am related. The original post was under a different name, one of Dennis's wives. I decided to try again on the chance that perhaps people would recognize Dennis's name in the header, and other members may have joined since who are knowledgable on the topic. And it seems it has work because this time I got a reply which was very useful. Thank you both.

Edited by - alexofnz on Aug 08 2007 6:58:25 PM

Edited by - alexofnz on Aug 08 2007 8:10:24 PM

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 August, 2007 6:57 pm
ikaptm OWC
(@ikaptm-owc)

Kia ora Alex

I have seen the Cochrane whakapapa book which has just been written/published. I will pass your query on to the owner of this book who is a Cochrane and was one of the 'sources of imfo'.
I'll give him a ring tomorrow...

mmmm ... and I do believe there is a Scottish connection there.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08 August, 2007 8:43 pm
Mk2_Zephyr OWC
(@mk2_zephyr-owc)

Kia Oro Ika, I would be very interested in the Cochrane whakapapa book too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 August, 2007 12:10 am
alexofnz OWC
(@alexofnz-owc)

Thanks Ika, I would be very interested in finding the book.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 August, 2007 9:40 am
loyal005 OWC
(@loyal005-owc)

Hey, I put this link on your other post, but here it is again: http://worldconnect.rootsweb.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?surname=cochrane&given=dennis+browne
The book Hokianga by Jack Lee also mentions Dennis.
I am another decendent, and am also interested in the Cochrane Whakapapa book.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10 August, 2007 8:15 pm
seymour
(@seymour)

I am also a descendant of Denis Browne Cochrane. My great great grandmother was one of his daughters and she married Hoani Waata Papa
from Utakura.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 August, 2007 9:43 pm
ikaptm OWC
(@ikaptm-owc)

The Cochrane Book was published in March 07 by Leanne Jackson and according to the dedication was inspired by her attending the Faulkner Reunion held in Tauranga (2004). It appears the Cochrane, Beazley, Faulkner and Maxwell whanau are all connected. It is a beautiful soft cover book full of photos and whanau history.

My friend suggested the author still has books available at approx $70.00 each .... Arohamai I don't have contact details to the author but maybe the publisher (Tauranga Paper Print) could help...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15 August, 2007 10:36 pm
alexofnz OWC
(@alexofnz-owc)

Do you know what the title of the book is or is it just 'The Cochrane Book'?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 August, 2007 2:00 pm
Mk2_Zephyr OWC
(@mk2_zephyr-owc)

Its called "Connecting Cochranes", 273 pages, $70 not counting p&p.

Family members only.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 16 August, 2007 5:06 pm
seymour
(@seymour)

just want to thank everyone for all their help.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20 August, 2007 11:03 pm
Share: