Welcome to the Whakapapa Club Forums where you will find a wealth of information.  You are free to browse the forums, but if you wish to comment or add requests, you must register, which is quick and easy and you can even use your Facebook Login.

Once you have signed up and posted either a reply or a new post it will not appear in the forums until it has been approved – this is to stop spam from appearing and keeping our Whakapapa Club Forums relavent for Whakapapa only.

If someone helps you don’t forget to acknowlege them.

EDWARDS, Hona: late 1800's  

RSS
Anihana OWC
(@anihana-owc)

Tena Koutou.

Im hunting for some info on my great great grandfather upwards. Where Im at so far is:

Me: Anderson (Im born in 1979)

Mum: Michele Edwards (Edwards being her maiden name) born 1960.

Her father: Anderson Edwards...died when mum was about 5, he was aged 33 & died in 1965.

His Father: Rameka Edwards, also know as Clem. I remeber going to pop's Tangi when I was about 8, he died around 1986.

His Father: Hona Edwards. His most recent wife was Agnes pitman....she died in recent years. His 1st wife was Hariata Akaranga Rewi.

His MOTHER: Now this is where I can't go any further, from what I know her name was Tirita Ngapine.

Im looking to try and find her husband (Hona's father). I think this is where a couple of names got switched around etc. I have a funny feeling that there is a possibility that the name Anderson (Anihana) came from somewhere up this line as im told it was passed down through the family & it was switch around somewhere around that time.

From grandad up were all from the Poroti area, Whangarei, Northland. Maungarongo Marae to be specific 🙂

If anyone has ANY info that would be super 🙂 There has been talk of a "great fire" in Whangarei around the 1900 mark of which destroyed a lot of records that may have helped....maybe birth/death records etc.?

Anyway I can't really any info on this, may have been around 1890 even as we can only go from a story mum remembers pop talking about for when he was younger etc.

Many thanks
Andy

Edited by - Anihana on Jul 31 2006 7:30:16 PM

Posted : 12 April, 2006 12:09 am
Anihana OWC
(@anihana-owc)

I've just updated some names & date's if that makes a difference 🙂 Hopefully someone may know something!?

Cheers
Anihana

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31 July, 2006 7:33 pm
Te Rapu OWC
(@te-rapu-owc)

Kia ora, Hona's 2nd wife was my Aunty Aggie (nee Pitman) they had a large family (12?). Uncle Hona had a son Pat,(Kingi)passed away 2005 from his first marriage, he has a son Malcolm who lives here in Whangarei that may be able to help you

ReplyQuote
Posted : 06 August, 2006 6:22 pm
Anihana OWC
(@anihana-owc)

quote:

Kia ora, Hona's 2nd wife was my Aunty Aggie (nee Pitman) they had a large family (12?). Uncle Hona had a son Pat,(Kingi)passed away 2005 from his first marriage, he has a son Malcolm who lives here in Whangarei that may be able to help you

Hey there.....man I didn't know someone had replied!! Is nice to see you have 🙂 Yeah was at Uncle Kingi's tangi.....wish i had taken the time to talk to him BEFORE he passed, but it was really going back for it that sparked my interest into the family history again. Mum has spoken to Malcolm & had a bit of info from him, I believe he is in Auckland now. See the names often throw me....I'd only ever known uncle Kingi as Kingi but as you mentioned he is Pat...as in Patira, all my searching brings up nothing until I use Patira & I get plenty.

I believe the name of Tirita Ngapine is right but it's the spelling I don't think we have right 🙁

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21 January, 2007 8:29 pm
Louis Ani OWC
(@louis-ani-owc)

Kia Ora Anihana
I went to uncle King's tangi as well
might have met you then
any how look forward to hearing from you
Louis raua ko Ani Illingworth

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04 January, 2008 4:46 am
Anihana OWC
(@anihana-owc)

Heya Louis

Sorry I haven't responded yet, am a member of so many forums unless I get an e-mail saying I have a response I often don't see them for a while 🙁

Probably met ya there....your Bubby's son yeah!

Mum say's hello 🙂 Mum say's she remebers visiting your place in Beachhaven when she was a little girl, she was about 10 when yous sister Lana was born. I guess you'll remember uncle mark & Aunty Mary for sure!

We've started to get a bit more on the family history stuff but boy's it's hard when ya hit a brick wall 🙁

Chur
Andy

ReplyQuote
Posted : 27 February, 2008 5:38 pm
Share: